Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Big Longoria/Wright trade

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Big Longoria/Wright trade

Postby Singles » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:31 pm

I have been offered:
His: Longoria/Prado/Cliff Lee
My: Wright/Pedroia/Hughes

My gut says yes because I could use the SP upgrade. Any suggestions?

Thanks. Leave your link.

It is a H2H league with 10 teams. Non Keeper.

Batters Stat Categories:
Runs (R), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Total Bases (TB), Batting Average (AVG), On-base + Slugging Percentage (OPS)

Pitchers Stat Categories:
Wins (W), Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP), Strikeouts per Walk Ratio (K/BB), Quality Starts

My team:
C. Montero
1b. Gonzalez
2b. Pedrioa
3b. Wright
SS. A. Ramirez
If. Dunn
Of. Stubbs
Of. Bruce
Of. Ellsbury
Of. Swisher
Ut. K. Johnson
Ut. C McGehee
Bn. Mourn
Sp. Sabathia
Sp. Liriano
Sp. Hughes
Sp. Cahill
Sp. Nolasco
Sp. Hellickson
Sp. Lewis
Rp. Thornton
Rp. League
Rp. McGee
Singles Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Big Longoria/Wright trade

Postby cfrat24 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:38 pm

thats a REALLY REALLY interesting trade. I am sure if 10 ppl respond, 5 will lean one way and 5 will lean the other

Personally, I like the Wright/pedroia/hughes side of it. Wright gives u numbers in multiple categories, and truthfully him and longoria are pretty even. Pedroia has the edge over prado, and in that lineup he could have a bigtime year. Lee/hughes, well the advantage def goes to lee, but I don't think by much, him pitching in the NL will def help, but his numbers weren't unbelievable last year, and well hughes took a big step forward last year, if he improves again this year this deal will pay off for you by sticking with wright/ped/hughes

Good luck
help here please

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=425997
cfrat24
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 14)

Postby brakeyawself » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:15 pm

I prefer the Wright/Pedroia/Hughes side. I actually like Wright better than Longoria because of his consistancy (aside from the one down year), and his multi category scoring. Longoria I think is overrated by a slight bit. But either way, yea they are pretty even. Pedroia definitely over Prado. I don't like Lee as much as others, but Hughes should if nothing else get double digit wins and decent amount of K's. If you could give up a lesser player than Pedroia or a lesser pitcher than Hughes, then I would think about it. Otherwise though, id stick with what I got.

Please help with mine: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=426015
brakeyawself Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bobnerns » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:30 pm

I'd take this trade, but I agree that it is very interesting and close.

My thoughts are Longoria is a small upgrade over Wright, even though both are very close. Lee could be a HUGE upgrade over Hughes. I think both will have a good season, but Hughes is not nearly as steady as Lee and I almost never want a pitcher in the AL East. Prado is definitely a big drop from Pedroia, but I feel the difference between Lee and Hughes is greater than the difference between Prado and Pedroia.

Help with mine?
viewtopic.php?f=189&t=425893&p=3373257#p3373257
bobnerns
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby jruffus1 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:22 am

Make this deal. I believe that Longoria will have a very good year - He is still very young. Wright plays on the Mets, who SUCH (even though I am a mets fan), in CITI Field, where it is impossible to hit home runs. I LOVE Pedroia but theres always the chance that he'll get injured again. However, Cliff Lee is a HUGE upgrade over Hughes. Phil Hughes is one of those players where you basically have to flip a coin with every game. If I were you, I'd shake that kids hand.
jruffus1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 71)

Postby jruffus1 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:23 am

Make this deal. I believe that Longoria will have a very good year - He is still very young. Wright plays on the Mets, who SUCH (even though I am a mets fan), in CITI Field, where it is impossible to hit home runs. I LOVE Pedroia but theres always the chance that he'll get injured again. However, Cliff Lee is a HUGE upgrade over Hughes. Phil Hughes is one of those players where you basically have to flip a coin with every game. If I were you, I'd shake that kids hand.

Plus, there is a lot of headache going on in the Mets organization now, and this will definitely affect the players. The whole Madoff case, no one going to see their games, etc. are all factors that are going to have a direct impact on the morale of each player.
jruffus1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 71)

Postby brakeyawself » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:46 am

I don't understand why everyone assumes Longoria is better than Wright. Wright had a better year last year, while playing at CITI. Yea he won't hit as many homeruns. But he makes up for it in other areas, especially SB. You can't base your trade on the fact that "I LOVE Pedroia but theres always the chance that he'll get injured again" . I don't think that is more likely to happen than any of these other players getting injured. What if Cliff Lee gets injured again? Also, I don't think pitchers are worth as much as hitters even at the same talent level. In order for me to trade a position player for a pitcher, the pitcher has to be better at pitching than the hitter is at hitting. Totally disagree that Lee is a HUGE upgrade over Hughes. I think Lee has had the majority of his good seasons. I also think Pedroia is a bigger upgrade over Prado than Lee is over Hughes. At the end of the year you will probably see this translated in the numbers. Also, I don't think Wright will be affected by Madoff. He has no reason to be distracted by anything going on with the Mets ownership. Its not like they are calling him for advice and distracting him from his game. Speaking of injuries. 2007 Cliff Lee dealt with injuries, so he is just as likely to get injured (if not more so since I think pitchers are more fragile in general) than is Pedroia. Simply put Pedroia I think is worth more than Cliff Lee by a substantial amount.

And please help with mine! : viewtopic.php?f=26&t=426015
brakeyawself Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions