Sosa/ Helton trade assistance anyone? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sosa/ Helton trade assistance anyone?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sosa/ Helton trade assistance anyone?

Postby Luyken » Thu May 23, 2002 6:14 pm

Am I selling Sosa short sending Sammy and Troy Percival over for Todd Helton and David Wells?

I need some quality pitchers and I am guessing Wells is gonna get his Yankee magic back again where he is loving the game again. I have Olerud at 1st base now but I figure Helton is a giant improvement.

At least this is a legit trade offer unlike most that get sent.

Thanks for any and all help
Luyken

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby mktgteach » Thu May 23, 2002 6:18 pm

STAY AWAY FROM DAVID WELLS!

8-o Do your research! His back is not 100% and he missed a start for it. You are giving up the most durable outfielder who doesn't get hurt. He will hit you about 50HRs and bat over .300 Helton will bat about .320 and hit you 40hrs. However, David Wells might be on the DL before the end of the week.

Percival and the Angels are hot. Percy is a STUD closer. You are trading 2 STUDS for 1 STUD and a decent pitcher with injury problems that wins b/c he pitches for the best offensive team in the majors.

If you want to improve your staff, find a pitcher that is 100% healthy!

DO NOT DO THIS TRADE!

I'm out! ;-D
Go Hokies!
mktgteach
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Thu May 23, 2002 6:24 pm

Why would you think about trading Sosa? He'll hit 60+hr's and 150+ RBI. If you really need to trade him try and get Randy Johnson or Pedre Martinez. You can probably pick up a quality Free Agent pitcher.

Postby Jango » Thu May 23, 2002 6:35 pm

I wouldnt do that trade. If you can get a better pitcher than Wells than i would consider it. Losing Percival is not going to hurt because there are plenty of closers out there. Consider Sosa will hit around 50-60 homeruns if healthy.
Jango

Postby Arlo » Fri May 24, 2002 9:55 am

Agree with the above. I have no problem with dealing studs like Sosa, and I love Helton, but at this point Wells is anything but a sure thing. If upgrading your pitching is your primary goal, keep talking with this team and ask for a more reliable sp.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

'''

Postby Luyken » Fri May 24, 2002 7:30 pm

well I am looking at pure stats. Helton has for the past 3 years out scored Sosa by a considerable amount. I would be increasing my rotisserie scoring and I have two solid closers in Irabu and SMoltz.

Wells last 2 starts were excellent performances and I figure I am improving myself in both needs. Hitting scoring and pitching scoring(potentially)

Thanks for the help y'all I think I am gonna accept on a vibe
Luyken

Postby EugeneStyles » Fri May 24, 2002 10:51 pm

You're right that Helton outscores Sosa on a lot of point scales, and he's generally a slightly better rotisserie player, unless you need a ton of HR's. Assuming he's not going to have a down year, it's really a closer trade than a lot of people would think. I also, however, wouldn't put too much faith in Wells.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Arlo » Sat May 25, 2002 10:55 am

I certainly wasn't griping about Sosa vs. Helton; those guys are both among the very best hitters you can have on your team. It's the Percival vs. Wells part I'm worried about. This would be a very solid trade if you could be sure Wells is healthy, but as long as that's not certain, Percival may be too high a price to pay.

Hope it works out, and enjoy having Helton on your team. He's a great player to watch.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Luyken » Sat May 25, 2002 11:41 am

Yeah very good point Arlo. I just gots dat feeling Wells is back. Damn those vibes sometimes haha
Luyken

Postby Arlo » Sat May 25, 2002 4:44 pm

Sometimes you have to go with those vibes and hunches. They're certainly part of the fun of this game! :-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Baseball Leftovers