RP: Andrew Bailey
P: Jonathon Broxton
P: Frank Francisco
P: Davi Aardsma
BN: Ricky Nolasco
BN: Edwin Jackson
BN: Anibal Sanchez
BN: John Lackey

Clearly nothing is predictable before the season even begins, and some of my closers are temporarily injured. But I was wondering what you all thought for my first draft of the season. I tried something different and neglected pitching more than usual. My hitting is insane, but the pitching is a bit rag tag. Went for sleepers a lot. Thoughts?
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: First Draft of the Year!

Postby Yanks_Baby » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:55 am

Lamesauce. No answers.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:36 am

Well, the hitting cats definitely devalue speed a ton so keeping that in mind..

Hitting: I agree, good hitters! Dunn is a top 30 guy in this format and Granderson is a stud as well. I'm not a huge fan of Prado in this format since he gets a ton of value from his BA. Rollins is also a question mark, but SS is shallow anyway so that's a risk you'll have to live with. Great pick on Espinosa. Berkman may not get enough ABs to be worth it, but I'm guessing you didn't spend a high draft pick to get him anyway. Just keep an eye on the WW and use the hot hand.

Pitching: Well the top of your pitching staff is solid but it lacks reliable SP depth. Not bad, just alot of risk at the back end of your rotation. It could turn out fine, but either Nolasco or Jackson has to pan out for you. If you want you could trade an RP for a reliable 3rd or 4th starter (Lilly, Dempster, Danks). Otherwise just see where the start of the season takes you.

Overall definitely solid team that provides you with flexibility. You need a bench hitter to step in when Berkman isn't playing, so make sure to pick one up when you throw an RP on the DL.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Irish Drunk » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:33 pm

Many fantasy players choose to leave pitching until the mid-later rounds and I subscribe to that theory. The result is you still get quality pitching - Weaver, Haren & Nolasco are arguably top 25 starting pitchers.
I'm not particularly enamored with the relief staff you have put together but that may be more or a personal preference as opposed to a true barometer of effectiveness. I just see too much risk there.

Hitting: Very solid, if not spectacular. The speed (Ellsbury,Rollins,Rios), power (Votto,Dunn) & combined (Granderson,Wright) elements are all present. I like the flyer you took on Espinosa, that could pay off large. Also, I still like Berkman, wonky knees and all, to have a decent season. I'm just not sure on Martin, but who knows, many a player have rejuvenated a career wearing the pinstripes. Maybe all he needed was a change of scenery.

Barring injuries, I'd be absolutely shocked if this team doesn't finish top 3.
Irish Drunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 160)

Postby Yanks_Baby » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:13 pm

Thanks guys. I'm considering moving out Granderson and one of my lower end RP's for a better RP and a Pitcher. I feel my hitting could probably afford the loss of Grandy, and I feel the pinstripes overrate him a bit, and would like to cash in while his value is still high. Thoughts?

Though any trades I do won't be for a while. Gotta see how this team plays out for a bit. Lots of potential.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:48 pm

Grandy wouldn't be my first choice to move out. I'd say try to build a solid power and saves lead before evaluating your options on who to move. Also if you move an RP I don't see why you would need another in return. You've got 5 potentially. Let the saves pile up then ship one off.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team