Trade help - whats the trade value of a SP for a RP - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Trade help - whats the trade value of a SP for a RP

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade help - whats the trade value of a SP for a RP

Postby GoodWill » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:04 pm

Hey all -

This is my first year playing fantasy baseball, and I don't yet know how to value certain trades. I'm in a 10 team league that is a H2H with 5x5 scoring. The pitching stats we're scoring are pretty standard - ERA, Ks, Saves, Wins and WHIP. In my auction draft I drafted 6 SP and 5 RP (Feliz, Axford, Papelbon, Perez and Putz). I figured I might have too many relief pitchers so I decided to look for another team that didn't have enough RP and see if I could swing a deal for one of his SP for my RP. I found such a team and I decided I could part with Axford or Putz. His SP are: Lincecum, Josh Johnson, Phil Hughes, Ricky Nolasco, Colby Lewis and Matt Garza. I determined that Nolasco or Lewis would be a fair trade, but I am unsure. We both want an amicable deal and I was just curious if this trade is lopsided in either direction. Thanks in advance!
GoodWill Beginner
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade help - whats the trade value of a SP for a RP

Postby BigLebowski » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:15 pm

Partly depends on how many pitching slots you have and if you have a minimum innings per week. In a 10 team league there are enough closers to go around so they aren't a high value position. You have 5 so you can afford to give up one, but if I was him Garza would be the only guy I'd give up to get a closer, unless he has no saves whatsoever. Putz is hurting right now but I still like him. Axford I'm not a huge fan of but the other owner may be. I would never trade Nolasco for a closer straight up though.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 473)

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:16 pm

I think something like Axford for Lewis would be fair.

However, I'd personally try and deal Papelbon. With the good options behind him and a large salary coming, I could see the Red Sox trading him midseason.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GoodWill » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:18 pm

Sorry I should have mentioned who he has for closers currently - he has: Joel Hanrahan and Fernando Rodney and that's it. There are no minimum inning requirements, and we have to start 2 SP, 2 RP and 4 P.
GoodWill Beginner
T-Ball Trainer

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions