Please rate my team. WHIR!!! 12 team H2H 5X5 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Please rate my team. WHIR!!! 12 team H2H 5X5

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Please rate my team. WHIR!!! 12 team H2H 5X5

Postby mzkp54 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:20 pm

12 team H2H 5X5, standard categories. I had the 3rd pick.

C- Wieters
1B- Laroche
2B- Uggla
3B- Infante (Once Youk gets 3B eligibility, not sure what I'll do with him)
SS- Tulo
OF- C Young
OF- Granderson
OF- Bourn
U- Youkilis (He hasn't gotten 3B eligibility, but he will be my 3B)
U- Huff
BN- Beckham
BN- Crisp
BN- Kubel

SP- J Johnson
SP- Verlander
RP- Gregg
RP- Francisco
P- Hanson
P- Oswalt
P- W Rodriguez
P- Hughes
BN- J Garcia
BN- A Sanchez

So I think my biggest area of need is 1B and RP. Right now I'm planning on using Huff and Laroche and 1B, but obviously I'd like a more proven option. I could maybe trade one of my pitchers, but I think my staff is the strength of my team (I love it). I definitely need an upgrade at RP, but saves can be found on the WW once the season starts. My OF doesn't have any elite options, but I like the upside.

What are your thoughts? And please leave a link and I'll check out your team.

Also, if you have the time, my other team is here:
viewtopic.php?t=425303
mzkp54
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Please rate my team. WHIR!!! 12 team H2H 5X5

Postby kajeffers » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:30 pm

I would hold onto Infante. Being a Braves fan, he was money last year. You may have to wait to the 2nd half of the year on Laroche. He is a second half player. I think you should try and get McClouth and he is probably available. He is playing very well in spring training and I think you will see a year similar to the All Star year he had with the Pirates.

I think your pitching is great.

Here is mine.
viewtopic.php?t=425401
kajeffers
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PowderedToastMan » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:13 pm

Thanks for the help with my squad!

I like your team.... im not used to a roto league but in my mind im thinking the Cats..... and i LOVE your pitching as the other user stated 1B will be an issue and when youk is available for 3rd your great there!

Weiters scares me aswell

Overall i would say a 7.5 but then again not a roto guy!!!

Hope that helps.

Cheers
PowderedToastMan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jruffus1 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:59 pm

You have a very solid offense, I feel that Huff will do an adequate job as your 1st Basemen. Your pitching staff is spectacular, so you cannot expect to have a stellar offense + rotation/bullpen. I do agree that you need relief pitching. You should consider adding either Jon Rauch or Brandon League as temporary closers. I actually believe that League is destined to be a closer and may even take the job as the season progresses. Not only are relief pitchers good for accumulating saves, but also assist your ERA and WHIP, as these players were chose to close because of their ability to quickly get the job done (usually at least). If you do not want to go the temporary route, I think that you may want to shop one of your starters for a pair of decent closers (Ex. Putz, Perez, etc.). Losing 1 pitcher isn't going to hurt your team.
jruffus1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 64)

Postby Polka » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:54 am

Pretty solid.You may want to see if Contraras or Rauch are around. Huff should be ok on first when Youk goes to third.
Polka
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby th3shuck » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:31 am

Polka wrote:Pretty solid.You may want to see if Contraras or Rauch are around. Huff should be ok on first when Youk goes to third.

Yea, if you can scoop up one of those guys do it quick! They are flying off the WW. I just see a big question mark on your RP's.
th3shuck
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Crimedogg32 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:10 am

You analyzed your team very accurately. If it were me I would trade Hanson or Oswalt for an upgrade at 1B. You could possibly try to land a closer in the deal but I have a feeling they will be overvalued in a trade right after the draft.

viewtopic.php?t=425913
Crimedogg32
College Coach
College Coach

Postby northjersey78 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:47 am

mzkp54 wrote:12 team H2H 5X5, standard categories. I had the 3rd pick.

C- Wieters
1B- Laroche
2B- Uggla
3B- Infante (Once Youk gets 3B eligibility, not sure what I'll do with him)
SS- Tulo
OF- C Young
OF- Granderson
OF- Bourn
U- Youkilis (He hasn't gotten 3B eligibility, but he will be my 3B)
U- Huff
BN- Beckham
BN- Crisp
BN- Kubel

SP- J Johnson
SP- Verlander
RP- Gregg
RP- Francisco
P- Hanson
P- Oswalt
P- W Rodriguez
P- Hughes
BN- J Garcia
BN- A Sanchez

So I think my biggest area of need is 1B and RP. Right now I'm planning on using Huff and Laroche and 1B, but obviously I'd like a more proven option. I could maybe trade one of my pitchers, but I think my staff is the strength of my team (I love it). I definitely need an upgrade at RP, but saves can be found on the WW once the season starts. My OF doesn't have any elite options, but I like the upside.

What are your thoughts? And please leave a link and I'll check out your team.

Also, if you have the time, my other team is here:
viewtopic.php?t=425303

I think Wieters is primed for a breakout yeat.

You might struggle a bit with batting average.

Tulo will be NL MVP and mash all season.

Keep an eye out for closers...you are abit weak there.

Overall, a solid team for 12 owners.

Check me out:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=425937
http://www.newyorksportstown.com

Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Rangers, Devils, Isanders, Knicks, Nets, Rutgers
northjersey78
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby jpbusta » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:37 am

I see a great balanced team. I like your lineup with enough power to stay on the upper half of your league and your pitching looks solid.

I like Infante. I think he might be able to put up some solid numbers this season. You might even think of trading uggla or Youkilis for upgrade at 1st. Not a huge fan of Laroche :-?

You should be able to finish strong if they all perform as they're projected to.
:-)
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Postby blinkuldhc » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:36 am

Decent team, but still room for improvement.

THE POSITIVES

Uggla is as consistent as HR hitters come, and he loves hitting at Turner.

Tulo is an elite SS obviously. Though, he is super streaky. On one hand, he had to hit 15 HRs and 40 RBI in September just to get his numbers -- but on the other hand, he hit 15 HR and 40 RBI in September, or H2H playoffs.

Youk is a top 3 3B, and he was having a career year before his freak injury.

CYoung is a STUD. People seem to overrate batting average. CYoung gets you 4 categories. 90+ R, 90+ RBI, 25+ HR and SB.... if he can do that again, that's ELITE.

Granderson is my sneaky pick for 30+ HR.

Your SP staff is ridiculous, in a good way.

THE NEGATIVES

I'm not in love with the lack of speed in your lineup. Youkilis, Laroche, Huff, Uggla, Wieters and Infante may combine for 15-20 SBs on the season, or about 0.6 SB per week.

Granderson is deceptively mediocre in the SB department; since Granderson has started playing full time, he has averaged 16 SBs per season -- or about 0.6 SB per week.

CYoung DID swipe 28 last year, but you have to be careful.... he swiped 25 in all of 2008-2009.

Bourn will get you the SBs.... but MAN he is 4-category CANCER. Sorry, but IMHO Bourn's not worth starting in 12-team mixed. He kills 4 categories just to save 1 cat.

If you take Bourn's 162-game averages from the last 4 seasons, he's at .263-80-4-33-52 -- YES, 162 GAMES! Over 140-150 games, we're talking about 70 runs, 3 HR, 25 RBI, 45-50 SB -- or about 3 runs, 0.1 HR, 1 RBI, 2 SB per week in H2H. An OF from the other team might post 3 R, 2 RBI in ONE GAME and outproduce Bourn's whole week!

Your team may be a little too streaky for H2H taste. If Tulo is slow pre-September again, you may not get to the playoffs. CYoung and Grandy are notoriously streaky, too.

As for the pitching staff..... WOW you need some relievers. With 12 teams and about 30-35 viable closers, each team should have 3 CP -- you barely have two. Your punting saves right now.

Relievers not only get you SAVES, but they help maintain WHIP and ERA. There are going to be weeks where a SP or two posts a bloated 2 IP 7 ER game, and you'll need RP to dilute it out.

NO PITCHING STAFF is good enough to exist without relievers, not even yours. You DO have a crazy deep SP staff, but it's not good enough to withstand the ups and downs without relievers. Every H2H team NEEDS at least 3-4 CP/RP. WIth 4 RP, you get 200-250 innings of about 2.00 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, which absolutely helps balance out starters.

SUGGESTIONS

Try trading some SPs for closers and elite relievers.

Get some more speed, but lose Bourn. Maybe swap some power bats for some Power/Speed OFs like Rios, Victorino, Stubbs etc. Main thing: get rid of Bourn.

Lastly, you don't need 3 bench hitters. You just don't. Especially if they're Kubel, Beckham, and Crisp. What are you going to do, start Gordon Beckham once a week for Uggla? Once a week is 22-24 total games.... which means Beckham will get you maybe 1-2 HRs, 2-3 SBs, 8-10 R, 8-10 RBI THE ENTIRE SEASON. It's not worth keeping hitters, especially One-position hitters. Grab relievers instead.
Please rate my team, I've punted pitching (Pujols, Hanley Ramirez, Kemp, McCutch, Beltre, and MORE!):
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=426088
blinkuldhc
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team