I kind of like my team ... am I crazy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

I kind of like my team ... am I crazy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I kind of like my team ... am I crazy?

Postby ramble2 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:11 pm

I joined a keeper league this year as an expansion team. They expanded from 10-12 teams, have 10-player minor league rosters, and each team may sign a variable number of players (details don't matter). This is my first league using a minor league, and it's an established league. Each team could protect something like 6-10 players in the MLB expansion draft, and a similar number of MiLB players. I figured my strategy was build for the future.

But after the expansion and regular draft, I like the team I ended up with. I think I can finish in the top half of the league, and maybe even make a run if things really go my way. Am I crazy?

6x6 league:
HR, OBP, R, RBI, SB, SLG;
BAA, ERA, K, QS, S+HD, WHIP

Here's my team:
C-Napoli
1B-Konerko
2B-K. Johnson
3B-I. Stewart :-o
SS-Al. Ramirez
MI-Nishioka
CI-D. Lee
LF-Pierre
CF-C. Young
RF-Bruce
OF-Abreu
OF-Rios
UT-Rasmus
Bench: C. Jones, Smoak, Barton, Viciedo, D. Jennings

SP-Verlander, Lilly, Marcum, Zimmerman, Nolasco, Kuroda, W. Davis, M. Rogers, Bedard
RP-Adams, Bard, McGee, Kuo

There's no innings max, and with a Saves+Holds category I think I've got a pretty solid pitching staff. Verlander, obviously, but the other guys on my staff should put up good numbers in this league. Using QS instead of wins will help guys like Nolasco, though may ding Rogers and Davis if they are on a IP leash. I've got four top Holds guys, which should, hopefully, get me some points there.

My offense is a bit weaker, but could be good enough to get some points. Not much of a bench, to be fair, but I like my starting OF, love Napoli in this league, and think that Konerko, D. Lee and Abreu were great bargains in this scoring system. Likewise, Jones and Barton could be decent fill-ins for their OBP, and Smoak was an OBP monster in the minors (though it hasn't translated to MLB yet).

That said, I'm just not sure I have the star-power in my offense to win in a league like this. I wonder if the ceiling is too low for my team, even if everyone pays off. I'm especially not happy about Stewart at 3B, but didn't have many options given what was out there (again, that whole expansion team thing).

I'm going to play it by ear. If it looks like I can get into a money position I'll play for this year, otherwise I'll be pretty quick to move useful parts for draft picks and/or young talent.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I kind of like my team ... am I crazy?

Postby HairyHelmet » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:18 pm

Yeah, I'm with you on the offense. You have a lot of young talent but a whole lot would have to go right for it to be competitive right away. Nice pitching staff. :-D

viewtopic.php?t=425367
HairyHelmet
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby ramble2 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:23 pm

If I were going to move a SP or RP for offense, where does everyone think I should try to upgrade? Ideally, I'd package a SP with a position player in any trade.

Probably my top target would be Adam Dunn. If someone like Lee or Smoak start off hot, what do people think about moving Verlander + Lee/Smoak for Dunn? Would Verlander alone be a decent offer?
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby mzkp54 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:31 pm

I'm pretty sure you'll end up building for the future. I think you have a very solid corp of young talent for the future, but not so many current studs. I really like your OF specifically, and think your pitchers have good upside. Obviously if things go your way it will be a different story but I think you inherited a good group for the next few seasons

Also just saw your prior post, I'd probably offer just Verlander first and gauge the reaction, because Verlander is a solid ace to anchor your staff so I wouldn't give him up lightly

viewtopic.php?t=425303
mzkp54
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby shoof08 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:40 pm

Thanks for the help on mine. I really like your staff and OF. If you were to make a move I would suggest trying to upgrade your 2B/3B position. Johnson/Stewart aren't too reliable.
shoof08
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby LMack » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:33 pm

Being an expansion team, you made out pretty well. You landed a couple older players who benefit from the OBP and SLG. You're right about the "star power" aspect, but that doesn't necessarily make or break a team. Stars tend to carry a hefty price tag, so send out some feelers and don't feel compelled to fill your team up with "names." You look to have decent production from your lineup. Depending on the keeper crops from last year, that production might be a little deceiving. I wouldn't start planning for the future yet, but like you said you do have some trade assets if you find yourself out of contention.
Go Jay Bruce. Credits to Super Manny.
LMack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby shoelessjoetara » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:24 pm

Team is OK don't expect too much and reap the rewards of the future.
shoelessjoetara Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team