Slow draft, 4 picks away: Torii, Abreu, Morrison, Manny WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Slow draft, 4 picks away: Torii, Abreu, Morrison, Manny WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Slow draft, 4 picks away: Torii, Abreu, Morrison, Manny WHIR

Postby plapre3 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:21 pm

We are in the midst of our slow draft and I'm not sure where to go with this. The run on closers has happened and I only have 2, both with substantial question marks. We start 3 RP so it's nice o have 3 closers if possible. Please rank the following players, going at least 8 deep since have 4 picks until I go.

At the moment, I'm not really happy with many of the options. It's time for a bat or RP. I've gone old so far in this draft, which scares me in a keeper league, so I'd like to get younger, but the best bats on the board are Torii Hunter, Bobby Abreu, Andres Torres, Manny Ramirez, Carlos Beltran and Derek Lee. I know a lot of people have Hunter and Abreu highest on their boards, but Abreu slipped in average and contact % last year and Hunter doesn't really run anymore. Instead, I'm thinking that I'd like to take a high upside risk here. If I stay old Ramirez and Beltran make sense. However, I'm tempted to go with Logan Morrison. He's basically Billy Butler-lite in the OF. He may only muster up 10 homers, but he will post a nice OPS (around .800) thanks to his stellar OBP and a power breakout isn't out of the question. I won't pick again for a while, so let me know if you think that this is too much of a reach. Tabata has similar upside, but I feel like his lack of power/ higher OBP skills hurt his value in our OPS league.

My team thus far:
Hitters: Geovanny Soto, Prince Fielder, Ian Kinsler, Hanley Ramirez, Kevin Youkilis, Shin Soo Choo, Shane Victorino (Need 1 OF and 1 UTIL)
Pitchers: Roy Halladay, Jon Lester, Jered Weaver, Ted Lilly, Hiroki Kuroda, Matt Thornton, Andrew Bailey (Need 1 RP)
Minors: Chris Sale, Brandon Belt, Zach Britton, Lonnie Chisenhall, John Lamb, Aaron Hicks (System full)

Available:
Non-OF Hitters: Derek Lee, Howie Kendrick, Chone Figgins, Neil Walker, Adam LaRoche, Danny Espinoza, Garret Jones, James Loney, David Freese, Chase Headly, Chris Johnson

OF: Torii Hunter, Bobby Abreu, Andres Torres, Vernon Wells, Denard Span, Jose Tabata, Carlos Beltran, Carlos Lee, Ryan Raburn, Rajai Davis, Logan Morrison, Andres Torres, Carlos Lee,Manny Ramirez, Chris Coghlan, Dexter Fowler, Jason Kubel, Michael Morse, Hideki Matsui, Alfonso Soriano, Will Venable

SP: CJ Wilson, Jair Jurrjens, Wade Davis, Bronson Arroyo, Brett Cecil, Clayton Richards, Derek Holland, Jake Peavy, Jeff Niemann, Bud Norris, Jason McDonald, R.A. Dickey, Marc Rzepczynski, Phil Coke, Carlos Carrasco, Justin Masterson, Aaron Harang, Jason Hammel.

RP: Frank Francisco, Koji Uehara, David Aardsma, Brandon League, Matt Capps, Brian Fuentes (pair with Bailey?)
--------------------------------------------------
6x6 weekly HtH 14 team roto keeper (bet. 5 and 10 keepers losing a draft pick for each after 5)

Offensive Categories:
BA, OPS, RBI, HR, SB and Runs Scored.
C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, UTIL
Pitching Categories:
W-L, S, ERA, K/IP, Quality Starts and WHIP
5 SP and 3 RP
----------------------------------------------------
plapre3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Slow draft, 4 picks away: Torii, Abreu, Morrison, Manny

Postby bears2 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:27 pm

Safest pick is Torri ..i dont like derek lee but i do like most Orioles as Buck turns teams and players around. try to grab jj hardy or adam jones late if u can.
"If you sit down at a poker game and don't see a sucker, get up. You're the sucker."
- Paul Newman (?)
bears2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 21)

Postby jnb125 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:40 pm

well, if ur afraid of going old, steer clear of bobby and torii. why not go tabata, hes the youngest of the better hitters and did huge things in a little over 1/2 season last yr. hes still a baby! however, how many keepers do u get? 2,4,6,10? the whole team? because alot of what i would say depends on the amount of keepers u get. all of the sp left u listed, the only 2 for this year i would go with are jair and cj. as far as non of go,... what about backing up kinsler with walker, hes an up and coming star and kinsler is dl bound every season. as far as rp,... aardsma still is a closer(depending on return from dl and how well league does. same goes for francisco. of the guys you listed, the 2 with the highest upside i feel are walker and tabata. (and this is coming from a pgh guy who hates the buccos) u dont need sp but cj would be a nice add, and the 2 closers left are dl bound to start the season
jnb125
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby plapre3 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:24 pm

Yeah, Torii is certainly the safest.

We keep anywhere between 5 and 10 guys with no limits or costs. I've kept 10 every year, so it's probably safe to assume that will happen again.
plapre3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby plapre3 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:00 pm

Bumpity bump bump. 2 picks away, really could use the feedback.

Jake McGee, Encarnacion, and Scott Baker now off the board.

I'm hoping someone will convince me not to take Hunter... just a boring pick.
plapre3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Seanyfever » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:35 pm

I agree Hunter is a tad boring, plus there are other younger OFers who could rival Torii's output and a are more exciting to draft.

With Kinsler, I like the idea of drafting Walker or Figgins as a back up.

None of the pitchers leap as someone to have either. I like Manny as a comeback player, but you can wait there. Perhaps, go 2B... Figgins gets 3B this year too... and someone helps make the pick next go around.

Thanks for your input.
Expos... Gone, but not forgotten.
Seanyfever
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team
(Past Year: 290)

Postby mekman20 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:48 pm

Honestly I really like Rajai this year. He'll hit atop the Jays lineup, so he should score a ton of runs, and they're talking about letting him loose. He could steal 50 + with over 100 runs if healthy all season...to me he's not far behind Ellsbury. None of those pitchers look especially interesting to me. Manny could be in for a nice season hitting cleanup, and Walker/Raburn would be nice to back up Kinsler. Thanks for your input.
C. McCann
1b. Agon
2b. Pedroia
3b. Arod
ss. Drew
OF. McCutchen
OF. Sizemore
OF. R. Davis
U. Morse
U. Beltran
Bn. Yunel, Freeman
SP. Verlander, Felix, Shields, B. Anderson, Bedard, Danks, Nolasco, Garza