Feedback on this draft? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Feedback on this draft?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Feedback on this draft?

Postby cs3 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:27 am

This is my 2nd draft of the season. Just looking for some feedback on the general outcome, or anything that stands out as being a particularly bad or good pick, when i selected particular positions/pitchers/hitters, etc. All comments are welcome!

this was for a 10 team league, 6x6, H2H, 24 man rosters (7 BN spots)
we start 4 OF, 1 UT, no MI, no CI
3SP, 2RP, 2P
It is the inaugural draft and each year we will be allowed to Keep 4-6 players, based on the round they were drafted. Keeper round increases each successive yr a player is kept.
we use OBP and Hits instead of Avg, and add QS to the standard pitching categories

1. (3) Miguel Cabrera (Det - 1B)
2. (18) Matt Holliday (StL - OF)my first 2 picks went as i had planned, although i left AGon on the board here. i figured i need an elite OF because we start 4 OF
3. (23) Prince Fielder (Mil - 1B)teh plan was to draft a 3b here but i couldnt pass up Prince. esp in an OBP league. howard and zimmerman were also there
4. (38) Jon Lester (Bos - SP)kershaw, ublado, Lee, CC, Roy, Timmy, Felix, all taken before this pick. pretty happy with Lester as my ace though
5. (43) José Bautista (Tor - 3B,OF)im not real high on Bautista but i dont think you can go wrong this late
6. (58) Justin Upton (Ari - OF)being in an OPB league helps JUp value right? and should be a great keeper value?
7. (63) Kevin Youkilis (Bos - 1B)this was the biggest shock of the draft... i had no idea he hadnt been picked and the chat blew up when evreyone realized he was still on the board so late. will have to sit him or Prince for a week, but steal of the draft imo
8. (78) Mat Latos (SD - SP)worst reach so far? i left Weaver, Liriano, Hamels, and Oswalt on the board. Also Bell and Soria. And of course the next day his shoulder problem was made public
9. (83) Jacoby Ellsbury (Bos - OF)im taking him in every draft right around here
10. (98) Carlos Santana (Cle - C)wasnt planning to get him, but he fell to me
11. (103) Max Scherzer (Det - SP)
12. (118) Daniel Hudson (Ari - SP)
13. (123) Huston Street (Col - RP)Did i wait too long to start drafting closers?
14. (138) Kelly Johnson (Ari - 2B)another OBP star, and some MI pop
15. (143) Jonathan Broxton (LAD - RP)
16. (158) Brandon Morrow (Tor - SP)too early, knowing he has injury conerns?
17. (163) Jose Tabata (Pit - OF)
18. (178) Colby Lewis (Tex - SP)
19. (183) Starlin Castro (ChC - SS)anyone see a superstar in the making besides me?
20. (198) Stephen Strasburg (Was - SP)couldnt resist any longer, wanted to guarantee an elite later round keeper for next season
21. (203) Jordan Zimmermann (Was - SP)
22. (218) Craig Kimbrel (Atl - RP)
23. (223) Tsuyoshi Nishioka (Min - 2B,SS)
24. (238) Jonny Venters (Atl - RP)if i take kinmbrel i may as well hege my bets and take Venters too right?

And heres what my lineup looks like:
Batters
C: Carlos Santana (C)
1B: Miguel Cabrera (1B)
2B: Kelly Johnson (2B)
3B: Jose Bautista (3B,OF)
SS: Starlin Castro (SS)
OF: Matt Holliday (OF), Justin Upton (OF), Jacoby Ellsbury (OF), Jose Tabata (OF)
Util: Prince Fielder (1B)
BN: Kevin Youkilis (1B), Tsuyoshi Nishioka (2B,SS)
Youk will play 3rd and Bautista will go to the OF. i feel like my lineup is incredibly powerful, and also has very good speed in the OF and with castro and Nishioka. Not to mention 4 guys who willl OBP at .400, and several more not far behind. Also, even tho i will use most of my bench space for pitching, i still have pretty good flexibility with my roster between youk, bautista, and nishioka

Pitchers
SP: Jon Lester (SP), Mat Latos (SP), Max Scherzer (SP),Daniel Hudson (SP), Colby Lewis (SP)
RP: Huston Street (RP), Jonathan Broxton (RP)im pretty weak with my RP
my staff is REALLY young, but has huge potential. If everything goes right i could destroy the K, W and ERA cats, altho whip will be an issue... but if things go wrong (injury!) it could get pretty ugly
BN/P: Brandon Morrow (SP), Jordan Zimmermann (SP), Craig Kimbrel (RP), Jonny Venters (RP), Ian Kennedy (SP)
DL: Stephen Strasburg (SP) picked up Kennedy to replace Stras
basically i took a lot of risks with my pitching, and its already starting to look like it may hurt my team. i may be looking to move a bat (prince or bautista, for another proven ace

thoughts?
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Feedback on this draft?

Postby LMack » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:33 pm

Not huge on some of your picks (Latos, Morrow, Bautista) but you got enough value elsewhere. Youkilis that late is preposterous, and in an OBP league no less. I'm not really in love with your pitching, even with this being a 10 teamer, but your offense is solid.
Go Jay Bruce. Credits to Super Manny.
LMack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby cs3 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:26 pm

would you try to trade Prince or bautista, targetting a package including a pitcher like CC, JJohnon, or Verlander?
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LMack » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:32 pm

I'd rather move Bautista. Like you said, once Youk gains 3B eligibility you'd be able to slot him in there. See what kind of SP you can net.
Go Jay Bruce. Credits to Super Manny.
LMack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby cs3 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:56 am

Ya I would much rather keep Prince too, as I think he will bounce back adn be a top 15 hitter again, esp since this is an obp league.
Im just concerned that Bauitsata may not bring back nearly as much as Fielder.

And actually I've been getting the most interest in Youk so far, but I just can't see myself trading him when I can keep him in the 7th round next yr... no way I get that much value back in a trade right?
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions