Need to select 4 Keepers for a Superleague >> WHIR BIGTIME - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Need to select 4 Keepers for a Superleague >> WHIR BIGTIME

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need to select 4 Keepers for a Superleague >> WHIR BIGTIME

Postby sinicalypse » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:26 am

Hey guys, 'tis the Cafe's #1 Expos Fan sinicalypse here, and I've got yet another question for you guys.... My one goofy league this year is a 20 Team H2H slugfest comprised of my guys from the msgboard over @ http://www.chicagosportsfan.com.

This league is insane. Not only is it 20 teams deep, but it's a comprehensive league that offensively features >> At Bats, Runs, Hits, HR, RBI, SB, BB, K, Total Bases, Put Outs, Assists, Errors, Average, OBP, and Slugging. For pitching it features IP, Wins, Losses, Complete Games, Shutouts, Saves, K, Grounded-Into-Double-Plays, Holds, ERA, WHIP, K/BB ratio, K/9 ratio, Hits/9 ratio, and then Blown Saves.

BASICALLY, this league counts EVERYTHING. I reckon it's as close to being about real baseball as much as any other league, since there is nary a stat not being counted.

I had to select a team to take over and manage, so I selected a team that seemed to have the best top-of-the-line players. Basically, I get to keep four people, so I'm going to list all of the good players and I would love for you to tell me who you'd keep. Drop a link to your thread/s and I will be sure to come by and help... peep the friendliness bar! I just became part of the Cafe Response Team, so I will help. Anyways, without further adieu...

OFFENSE

Billy Butler, Neil Walker, Jimmy Rollins, Geovany Soto, Seth Smith, Denard Span, Carlos Beltran, Juan Uribe (bleh)

PITCHING

Cliff Lee, Jered Weaver, Francisco Cordero, Ryan Dempster, Brandon League, Kerry Wood, JC Romero, Wade Davis..... and yeah it's just crap from there. Adam Wainwright was on this team too... RIP, Wainwright's 2011 season.

So yeah, tentatively I have myself down for Cliff Lee, Jered Weaver, Francisco Cordero, and Neil Walker (and the commissioner e-mailed me to compliment me on keeping Neil Walker... unless it's total subterfuge. Maybe keep dempster in place of cordero? Or in a really deep league that has holds in there, is it a good idea to maybe not have cordero? I'm thinking 20 teams, ~30 closers.... you gotta have at least one? I don't know, you guys tell me and i'll crank up the jets for a nice WHIR around the neighborhood.

# jay-MZ, aka YUNG JIGGHOVA'S STATE WITNESS
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Need to select 4 Keepers for a Superleague >> WHIR BIG

Postby SpecialFNK » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:48 am

Cliff Lee is the number 1 for sure.
I would have to say Jered Weaver is the number 2.
20 team. taking into account for positions, then I could see keeping Neil Walker who plays 2B. likely hard to find someone good at 2B that wasn't already being kept.
Francisco Cordero is the one I question. is it hard to draft a good closer? I'm not a fan of Cordero at all. I think he is declining and would not be surprised to see him lose the job if someone like Chapman is throwing heat.

one to consider is Jimmy Rollins. he was injured last season. he should have had a better AVG in 2009. I think I read that he will be batting 3rd while Utley is out, but then should move back to leading off. as long as Rollins is healthy I think he should be good for at least 90 R, around 15 HR, and 25+ SB. seeing that SS is also a position that isn't very deep, Rollins has to be considered. I think Rollins is going to have better numbers than Walker. Walker could have similar HR, but wont have as many SB and the AVG will likely be the same. I don't see Walker repeating .296 AVG in 2011. he had .273 career AVG in the minors.

another one consider is Billy Butler. I think he is going to have .300+ AVG with around 20 HR. R/RBI will depend on the other KC hitters, bit he has had 93/78 RBI in 09/10 and 78/77 R in 09/10.

just some thoughts.
would you be better to keep.. Lee/Weaver/Rollins/Butler ?

help?
viewtopic.php?t=425151
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 513)

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:43 am

Butler
Rollins
Lee
Weaver

Walker is solid, but I like Rollins over him due to position scarcity. As for Cordero, I'm just not a fan of his... sure, if you had a top closing option, I'd consider keeping a closer, but Cordero is not worthy of a spot in your four, IMO. I don't think you'll have trouble drafting a closer or two anyways.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby cfrat24 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:40 pm

Lee (easy one)
Butler- He has discipline at the plate and is only getting better and stronger. Hes a solid option for a position that has some big time stud bats already there.
Rollins- Him or Walker are both good options, personally I like Rollins better, if he stays healthy he can be in for some big time numbers, I usually lean towards guys who have higher ceilings.
Weaver- I like him over cordero, as other guys have already stated....Chapman is waiting in the distance to take over his job. Plus the RP job throughout 15-20 teams right now is up in the air. You will be able to draft or even pick up a closer mid season. RP's always get hurt....(plus guys like bell/soria/cordero) have the potential to get traded mid season to be set up men if there team is out of the race and will open the door for new RPS
cfrat24
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 32)

Postby cfrat24 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:41 pm

Lee (easy one)
Butler- He has discipline at the plate and is only getting better and stronger. Hes a solid option for a position that has some big time stud bats already there.
Rollins- Him or Walker are both good options, personally I like Rollins better, if he stays healthy he can be in for some big time numbers, I usually lean towards guys who have higher ceilings.
Weaver- I like him over cordero, as other guys have already stated....Chapman is waiting in the distance to take over his job. Plus the RP job throughout 15-20 teams right now is up in the air. You will be able to draft or even pick up a closer mid season. RP's always get hurt....(plus guys like bell/soria/cordero) have the potential to get traded mid season to be set up men if there team is out of the race and will open the door for new RPS
cfrat24
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 32)

Postby zazzal87 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:27 pm

Lee
Weaver
Walker
Butler

Rollins is getting old and has steadily declined in AVG and Power for a few years now, don't see him ever returning anywhere close to his MVP season and will only hurt you for his price. I would rather take a risk on drafting someone like Castro and taking a chance on him rather then waste a 4th/5th round pick on Rollins

I think Butler is definately the choice over Cordero. I see chapman closing for the reds by year end. He is just too good to have in a setup role and Cordero hasn't been stellar enough to keep his job. Butler will always bat over .300 and give u right around 25HR. Also he leads the league almost every year in doubles which you said is a category (i saw that there was almost every stat as a category) for scoring so this is a nice player to keep.

Lee and Weaver speak for themselves

Can you help me...

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=425198
zazzal87
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby sinicalypse » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:27 am

Alright thanks everyone! Y'all came through in the clutch and I'm in the process of getting to all of your threads here.... I decided to go with Billy Butler in place of Francisco Cordero.... there's so many multiple-closer situations where you can hope to get lucky, i'll take my chances. saves is only one out of like, 10-15 categories anyways =D

As for the jimmy rollins in place of neil walker? we're not drafting til tuesday night so i have a couple more days to think about that... I'm thinking that I'm going to hold on to neil walker, but maybe i'll change my mind. i gotta watch a little more video of rollins in the spring (tho i did see him hit a 2R HR the otehr day) and really look over his stats cuz i've never had jimmy rollins on a team b4 so i'm not up to the day-to-day drama...

once again, thank you guys very much!!
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions