How to make a stagnant team competitive... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

How to make a stagnant team competitive...

How to make a stagnant team competitive...

Postby dangadd » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:48 am

All,

I am new to fantasy baseball (not many people play in th UK) and have just been offered a place in an 8 man Head to Head league including a couple of people I know (hence my interest in joining). However the draft had already taken place and the team I have been given was the team without a manager. It doesn't have many players worth keeping in it. The other teams are stacked (and the rosters are very deep with LF,RF,CF,OFx3 and Utilx2). I have started to add a few FA to make the team more competitive but then it struck me that I might need to think outside the box a bit.

I looked at the scoring categories and decided to try and think up a strategy that may give me a chance at winning.

Batters Stat Categories(8): Runs (R), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Strikeouts (K), Batting Average (AVG), Grand Slam Home Runs (SLAM), Double Plays Turned (DPT)

Pitchers Stat Categories(6): Wins (W), Shutouts (SHO), Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP)

There do not appear to be any restrictions on the number of games played or innings except that your pitchers must pitch 7 innings combined in the week.

I think two categories are going to prove to be very hard to predict a winner (SLAM and SHO). I am considering stacking my team with relievers in order to maximise my chances of winning SV whilst rotating pitchers with good matchups or even two starts in the week to maximise K's and W's. I think this will probably have me losing ERA and WHIP though. I think I can maximise my chances of winning some batting cats too by loading my roster with 1B, SS and 2B so that I win DPT regularly. In particular I will be looking for players who are playing 1B regular but have OF eligibility (Huff looks good here). I can also pick up players to give me a chance at the SB cat too (I already have Brett Gardner).

What do you guys think? are there other ways I can make myself competitive? I would really like to make a mark on this league but I have such a poor start point that I am wondering if I have much chance?

Thanks in advance,

Dan
dangadd
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How to make a stagnant team competitive...

Postby Bullatopia » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:57 am

Yes, I found sleepers. Like players who are hitting pretty well but under radar. I received some tips from a blog. But go through player list and search for some.
Bullatopia
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Beginner's Forum