2011 Cold Stove League Questionnaire - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Cold Stove League

2011 Cold Stove League Questionnaire

Moderators: smoovethug, RocketsDWM

2011 Cold Stove League Questionnaire

Postby dAnzac » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:50 am

People love this apparently :-b
Ready...........Go!

1. What was your keeper plan, and do you regret jettisoning anyone yet?

2. What was your strategy in the MLB draft, and did you execute it to your satisfaction?

3. The best pick you made

4. The worst pick you made

5. Who have you got finishing top 3?

6. Who have you got finishing bottom 3 (show your working)?

7. Who was the steal of the draft?

8. Who was the reach of the draft?

9. Who is the biggest key to your success?
Cafe bets 2010:
W/j24jags - Oakland A's more wins then NYM
W/mweir145 - Oakland A's more wins then TOR (hat-trick?)
dAnzac
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2011 Cold Stove League Questionnaire

Postby smoovethug » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:56 am

No regrets. My biggest dilemma was over my rookie keeper, between J. Chacin and D. Storen. I already loved my keeper pitching core of Carpenter/Hanson/Gallardo/Scherzer and didn't know if I needed another pitcher over saves. I missed out on the closer run and found myself scraping the bottom of the barrel, but with Storen's awful spring and the supposed CBC in WAS, I guess I made the right move.

2. What was your strategy in the MLB draft, and did you execute it to your satisfaction?

Best player available without putting too much stock into youth, as evidenced by Ichiro/Vlad at 1/2 of the MLB. :-b

Tie b/w Miguel Montero and Ricky Nolasco. LOVE Montero at catcher, potential to emerge and be kept going into next year should some of my core falter. Equally love Nolasco and was surprised he 'fell' to me. I attempted to trade up with a few people as I was sure I'd have no shot at him. Some of the pitchers taken ahead of him made me go :-?. Further solidified my staff.

Frank Francisco. It was between him or Lyon. Didn't think the injury would turn into a DL stint and visit to Dr. Death.

Me and two other scrubs.

Haven't looked into others roster that deeply.

Cole Hamels.

Nothing really stood out.

BJ Upton.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:19 am

Amass the best talent possible. Threw in 5 of my 8 players back into the pool but don't regret anything yet.

The usual - don't reach, ensure you're drafting somewhat on need and think upside latter half of the draft. All in all, pretty happy.

3. The best pick you made.

My 3 RP's. In not wanting to reach for cemented roles, I went with my gut on Matt Thornton, Ryan Madson and Hong-Chih Kuo. Knock on wood, but things look good so far.

4. The worst pick you made.

Nothing glaring yet. Only wish I had flipped Capps ahead of McClellan on my queue (in which case I'd be sitting really pretty with late RP's for good save potential).

Naturally not voting for myself, I'd say smoovethug, Fade2White12 and kaveman.

Eh, not enough time to do another eye test but usually its the teams hit hardest with injury.

My gut tells me Kila K-however-u-spell-that-hawaiian name is going to be solid in an OPS league.

My first pick - Travis Snider. Kid hasn't done anything yet and who knows if he will.

My whole outfield. If they avoid injury and general suckage, my team will have a legitimate shot a top 3 finish.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Grounded Polo » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:07 am

My plan was this draft is much easier than last year, my core is 10000x better than it was last year, not nearly as much pressure to nail the draft or finish in the cellar.

I haven't had any real OMFG WTF WAS I THINKING type decisions in this league. In my other keeper, I'm worse than Isiah Thomas. :-P

Quentin could put up numbers but he always can, he just never plays.

Just draft best player available, was fine with drafting a closer first, Bell is a stud. I normally like to get more youth at the end of the draft but ended up with lots of veterans who can bounce back. After getting lucky on Konerko last year, I'm more open to it. The young upside types were all drafted early or on MILB rosters.

Manny in round 17 or whatever, he's looked good so far, could be a steal no longer fielding.

Brad Lidge is already hurt, FML

fade, smoove (had a good team last year CRUSHED by injuries), and aussie (not counting myself)

Wicked (Kinsler/Rollins/Rasmus won't get it done as the offensive core), Third Day (don't understand keeping BRob over Ichiro and pitching is suspect), Rockets (Utley injury, slow start by Tex, shaky pitching after Felix)

Ichiro, don't care if he was the 2nd pick, still amazed he was available to draft

Snider in Round 1, that seemed really early for a guy who hasn't done anything yet

The deadly trio of Konerko, Bautista, and Beltre, all expected to be busts, all were top 15 guys last year. If they get it done, I like my chances to win, finished 4th despite keeping Scott Kazmir.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Third Day » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:03 pm

When I take over an existing keeper team, there are usually players on the team that I don't normally draft. Not that they are bad players, I just don't normally draft them. I kept players I was comfortable with.

My draft was ok. Tried for a mix of vets and upside.

Ask me at the end of the season. }:-)

See #3.

Don't know all the owners well enough to say. You have to be able to work the wire to win in a league of knowledgeable owners.

See #5

See #3

See #3

I need Anderson and Matusz to pitch well.
He who knows not and knows not he knows not: he is a fool - shun him. He who knows not and knows he knows not: he is simple - teach him. He who knows and knows not he knows: he is asleep - wake him. He who knows and knows he knows: he is wise - follow him
Third Day
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 273)

Postby fezzik » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:41 pm

My plan was to keep the best talent I had...I would have preferred to have more solid bats than my top 3, but at least my SPs should be first-rate.

To not overvalue youth. With 10 keepers and a set time for players to be kept, the risk of unproven youth with upside is not worth as much risk as it would be in other keeper formats. I needed to get some veteran bats, focusing on power/OPS. I drafted completely cold...no mocks and minimal analysis at the beginning, so I made a couple picks I regret...but nothing major. I still like my team overall and felt I drafted a goodly number of veteran/old farts that fit well in my strategy.

Brandon Belt

Torri Hunter...I had a need at 2B at the time and should have gone with Zobrist. I could have had Hunter later.

I like Fade, GP and smoove...but I think my team can get there.

Third Day and Wicked seem be a cut below, but largely due to lack of quality keepers.

I don't know. I liked the Thornton pick...I was going to take him, but as I'm looking to take him over Cordero I'm reading about how he just signed a new contract and would be happy to pitch the 8th now that he got paid...it made me change my pick, but he should definitely be a nice bargain.

Carlos Beltran - I was going to call myself out with Hunter, but this one was worse IMO.

Nelson Cruz staying healthy...also, Hunter and Carlos Lee maintaining/regaining their form.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby dAnzac » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:17 pm

I didn't really find any of my pitchers after Lince worth a top 10 pick, even though my pitching staff was strong last year. I backed myself to do it again.
I like Mitch Moreland so much that I didn't want to throw him back, he could either be my end of the season headache or "look at me I'm brilliant" trophy.

I had holes at 3B and SS that were going to be difficult to fill, I planned on/hoped for a 3-way platoon of Lowrie/Uribe/Dan Johnson and got all three of them. Danny Espinosa could quietly sneak in SS eligibility, (and on a side note I was quite surprised he wasn't taken). Near the end of the draft I took my usual assortment of young dudes I thought could bust out - B.Allen/C.Carrasco/M.Joyce/E.Young.

Well I could say Volquez/DeLaRosa because it cheesed someone off :-b , but I quite like Brandon Allen really really late. And Jaime Garcia.

Beltran. He's not as healthy as I thought he was.

Me, Fade, kaveman. I think I pick something like this every year.

Rockets, fezzik (haha), and one of the n00bs :-b Also, carry the 1 and divide by zero.

Ike Davis with 5.08. Potential powerhouse. He could be worth keeping next year. Coco Crisp with "300" could bring in a good return, I had him on my queue.

Ryan Raburn with 5.06. A guy who hasn't got solid job security, who just mashes LHP, BEFORE some good players like Ike Davis.

Both Carlos Santana and Miguel Cabrera. My offense looks very different if one of those guys isn't there.
Cafe bets 2010:
W/j24jags - Oakland A's more wins then NYM
W/mweir145 - Oakland A's more wins then TOR (hat-trick?)
dAnzac
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RocketsDWM » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:23 am

As each day goes by, I get more and more worried about Grady Sizemore. I didnt really have a better option to keep though.

Best value regardless of need. While everyone was taking closers, I think I got some decent pitching in Danks and Wilson.

JJ Hardy. Only 28 and could be a contributor in that O's lineup. And yes, I'm still trying to talk myself into my team.

It will probably be Lyon but at that point I just needed a closer and I didnt want to go near Rodney. Honestly, who else in that Astros bullpen is going to make a run at the closer's job?

Fade, Fezzik (pitching staff), kaveman (I don't go against teams that have Pujols)

Me (and I like being the underdog), Wicked, Smoove (just because everyone is putting you at the top)

Matt Thornton. I would have taken him ahead of some other closers and I was about to pick him if Red didnt.

Beltran.

Chase Utley. Does he still play baseball? I need him and Sizemore to produce if I have any shot.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby Fade2White12 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:51 am

Pretty much it was just best player available. My final keeper was quite the decision though, a battle of semi-anagrams - Prado v. Panda. I was sour on Sandoval after last season, but his torrid spring has me thinking I may have made the wrong decision. We'll see.

I was lucky enough that my keepers fell in a way where there really wasn't a lot of redundancy at a position - all I had to fill for my offense was C, CF, and Util. With a pretty solid foundation, I did what I always do in this league, and that's draft upside like Kila, Ike, Fowler, EE, Morrow, Sanchez, Norris, etc. I can afford most of these guys not panning out, but if any of them blow up, I'm sitting pretty.

One of the other things I tried to do was work hard on position flexibility. Last year I was disappointed because I didn't have enough reserves who could fill in at other positions throughout the year. With a lot of minor injuries and DL stints, I was leaving positions open which hurt a lot more than I had anticipated. Drafting Zobrist to add with Prado who can both play almost anywhere, I think I can amass those counting stats.

I agree with Aussie - Ike Davis. Love him, especially in an OPS league.

Meh, Drew Storen. I went with upside here when I really should have went safe. A couple other safer guys went right after him, so if this ends up a committee situation in WAS, I'll definitely regret this pick.

I'm an optimist, so I'm going with GP to finish top 3. Has a lot of risk with that lineup, but I like risk. ;-D
I'll also say Aussie. He had a good set of keepers, but I'm not sure about his pitching and some of those draft picks. Since he finished first last year, it'd be hard to pick against him this year - plus I know how strong of an in-season manager he is.
This is my dark horse - Third Day. Not only does he have a lot of extra time on his hands, but I actually think his team is pretty decent. Now I don't honestly think he finishes top 3, but I think he's competitive all year.

Rockets. Sorry bud. I have Utley in another league where you only keep 5 and I kept him as a Rd1 pick. Ouch. Keepers were due before this knee shit came up. Now if he only misses April, I think you have a chance to rebound a little.
Wicked. I think the team is better than last year and is going in the right direction, but just not enough this year.
Red Hopeful. Now I think you had a fantastic draft. You got a lot of guys I really like - Zimmerman, Snider, Gio, Thornton, and the Pride of Muskegon (McClouth). It's hard to turn a team around the first year, but I think you've taken a good first step.

I don't know if it was the steal of the draft by conventional wisdom, but I love Gio Gonzalez. I think he brings much more of a return based on his draft position.

Napoli. I don't think he gets enough PT to really get ABs needed to justify that pick.

Injury. I feel like every year I have a great team ready to finish 1st, but it seems like I always have a lot of minor injuries at the most inopportune times. I remember losing players like Upton, Reyes, Youk, Heyward, and Votto when playing against the best teams and getting destroyed 10-2.

I can't really put my finger on any specific player, but I'm hoping that I can go the whole year without having one of my best players missing a lot of time.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby kaveman » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:53 pm

I had 5 solid keepers and 5 borderline keepers. I had hoped to trade to get a couple more decent keepers, but that didn't happen. My keepers weren't that great last year either and I still managed to get 1st regular season/2nd playoffs.

I generally take BPA.

I was happy to be at the beginning of the closer run rather than the end.

I took Cueto just before he got hurt. Also kind of wish I had gone with Gardner over Tabata.

Fade, GP, Fezzik (if Latos isn't out long)

Giantsfan's replacement, Rockets, Aussie's replacement

Jeter at 1.09

Beltran at 1.11. Probably the worst pick I'll see this year. Not as bad as the Nolan Reimold pick last year though.

Pujols putting up monster numbers, and hopefully Pedroia and Ellsbury stay healthy this year.
kaveman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Cold Stove League