Your Opinion on Brandon Phillips? *WHIR* - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Your Opinion on Brandon Phillips? *WHIR*

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Your Opinion on Brandon Phillips? *WHIR*

Postby javens » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:47 pm

Hey guys, I'm having a hard time looking at my team without feeling the regret of taking Brandon Phillips in the 5th round. There's so much talent at 2nd base, I wouldn't mind throwing my 19th round pick Niel Walker out there. I'm desperately trying to trade him for a sub 9th round pitcher at this point, but everyone is pretty set at second as it is. What do you guys think I should do; stick with Phillips or deal him for a 6th-10th round pitcher?

I'm in a 12 team, 5x5, H2H league. Here's my lineup to give you guys an idea as to why I want to upgrade my pitching.

C Matt Wieters, Bal C 12th
1B Billy Butler, KC 1B, DH 7th
2B Brandon Phillips, Cin 2B 5th
3B Pablo Sandoval, SF 3B 11th
SS Jose Reyes, NYM SS 3rd
OF Ryan Braun, Mil OF 1st
OF Josh Hamilton, Tex OF 2nd
OF Andrew McCutchen, Pit OF 4th
UTIL Carlos Lee, Hou OF, 1B 14th
Bench Neil Walker, Pit 2B 19th
Bench Edwin Encarnacion, Tor 3B 21st

SP Cole Hamels, Phi SP 6th
SP Ted Lilly, LAD SP 9th
P Brett Anderson, Oak SP 10th
P Edinson Volquez, Cin SP 15th
P Jaime Garcia, StL SP 16th
RP Heath Bell, SD RP 8th
RP Andrew Bailey, Oak RP 13th
Bench Brandon Lyon, Hou RP 17th
Bench Javier Vazquez, Fla SP 18th
Bench Jake Peavy, CWS SP 20th
Bench Carlos Zambrano, ChC SP, RP 22nd

I always help in return and always leave more than a paragraph of feedback. Just leave your links!
javens
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Your Opinion on Brandon Phillips? *WHIR*

Postby brakeyawself » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:51 pm

I would stick with Phillips and try to trade someone else for a pitcher with upside. Phillips is still top 5 at his position. You wouldn't be getting that equal value in return it seems. Have you tried sending him to the Utley owner? The Utley owner right now might overpay for Walker even.

Would target pitchers like Scherzer, Billingsley, Daniel Hudson, or even to a lesser extent Danks, Morrow (whos injured now, may come cheap) etc....

please help with mine: viewtopic.php?t=425010
brakeyawself Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby wyld stallions » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:38 pm

I am not high on Phillips and think that he is drafted too high. I would try to move him for a SP but it really depends who you can get. Walker will be close to the same value as Phillips this year.

Please help me: viewtopic.php?t=425022
wyld stallions
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby javens » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:59 pm

bump.
javens
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 10)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:06 pm

I'd be quite content getting Phillips in the 5th round. He's not really en vogue this year, but I also think he's quite reliable, both in games played and production-wise. 100 runs, 20/20, and .270 out of a 2B is nothing to sneeze at. The likes of Weeks, Kinsler, and even Pedroia carry a certain extent of injury risk.

I think your pitching isn't quite that deep in quality, but otherwise respectable. In a H2H, I wouldn't be so hasty to deal for a top pitcher, especially if Anderson, Volquez, and/or Vazquez pan out.

If you still want to deal Phillips, aim for a Sabathia/Verlander and at worst, Hanson/Weaver/Gallardo.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby ABA316 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:55 pm

I retained him in a 15 team keep 5. Cost me my 3rd round pick..would have liked it better if it was 4th, but in this league I would never have been able to draft him back in the 4th. Plus I knew the other good 2b were being kept.

I'd hit up the Utley owner and see if he's willing to deal, or just post something on the board that he's available and see what it brings. You can always decline offers..or just sit on them both and see if another need for you arises or as the season goes on someone will need a 2b.

Don't undersell him though..
ABA316
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby billycent » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:48 pm

My opinion on Phillips is that he is as solid and consistent a performer your going to find at 2b. There seems to be 2 myths at play here; 1st that 2b is deep, which it is not (at least if your looking for somebody to produce not to just hold down the position)... 2nd that Walker is a sure thing... which he in no way is. If anything deal him for some sort of a decent starter to someone needy at 2nd or mi. Hold onto Phillips unless u receive an offer u can't refuse... the Tim Hudson's of the world aren't gonna cut it for BP. Hope this helps.
billycent
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Valandir » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:00 am

I don't think Brandon Phillips is a bad pickup in the 5th round, and people underestimate him since he's not flashy, kinda like Choo. I wouldn't move him for pitchers that are that low on the draft board - they're drafted where they are for a reason, and Phillips goes in the 5th round for a reason. Taking that big of a hit is just selling your team short. Especially in H2H, solid and reliable performers are so valuable since you get their stats week in and week out to anchor your team. Part of what you pay for in players is reliability - the same reason nobody's going to draft a pure upside guy in the first round. It just doesn't make sense. Walker may equal Phillip's stats, but he also could miss pretty bad.

If you really do want to move him, I agree with the sentiment that you should be aiming higher. If nobody's going to give you a pitcher like Gallardo/Liriano/Scherzer then keep Phillips and enjoy the stats until someone wises up and is willing to give you fair value for him.

Help with mine? (New info at the bottom of the thread) viewtopic.php?f=26&t=424807, thanks!
Valandir
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions