Depth at 1B..........draft 1 early??? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Depth at 1B..........draft 1 early??? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Depth at 1B..........draft 1 early??? WHIR

Postby cfrat24 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:55 am

Seems that 1B is a very deep position. I have the 10th pick in a 12 team 5x5 roto league and was planning on grabbing one big 1B with either one of my 1st two picks (agonz/tex/prince will all be there for me) as well as grabbing a 3B (arod/zimmerman/wright).

I know that you should always take "the best player available" in the early rds.....but should I maybe take a top OF (say maybe cargo/braun/crawford if one of them are still there) instead of a 1B since I can get someone for that position in the later rds that will still produce good numbers??????

Any thoughts or advice whould be helpful.......Thanks!
cfrat24
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Depth at 1B..........draft 1 early??? WHIR

Postby Howie » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:58 am

I'd still grab a 1B early. There's always the team that takes 2 back to back (1st and 2nd round), and you might end up the guy starting Billy Butler or Aubrey Huff at 1B. You can still take Braun/Crawford/etc in the first, but I'd try to grab one of Tex/Fielder/Gonzalez/etc on the wheel.
Howie
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 6)

Postby cfrat24 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:03 pm

Funny that you mention Butler.....b\c I think he's someone who will outperform his ADP this year. Theres one thing I'm set on, and thats grapping an elite 3B with one of my first 2 picks. That position seems thin, plus I really like arod or zimmerman this year, both should put up solid numbers.
cfrat24
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 14)

Postby rlrtwins » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:16 pm

If starting Butler is what you have to look forward to with a draft like this then I'd say do it. 1B is jam packed and truly you could do better with a star OF. I'd go the route you are thinking. Its what I did in a few of my won drafts. Let someone else pay big for the 1B's you will be better off IMO.
rlrtwins
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby TheGhost » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:32 pm

One thing to remember... if you have a UTL spot or two on your roster 1B becomes relatively thin quickly. I've drafted multiple 1B in all my leagues so far because that's where the power is. Don't wait until the end to draft one. ;-D

Help with mine?

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=424969
TheGhost
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 101)

Postby CubsFan4Life23 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:57 pm

Ideally speaking...I would want to draft Braun or Gonzalez with Zimmerman. That would secure you two power hitting guys and would give you two top guys at their positions. I am not a big fan drafting 2 1B's because as you said 1B is always deep...Just think how many guys get 1B eligibility each season, plus you have Butler type of guy as well who will be as good as his ADP. Then you have youngster like Moreland, Smoak and Freeman who could be the next big thing and not pay much at all for them.

Hope it helps! Good luck.

help me please...
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=424961
CubsFan4Life23
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 159)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions