Tough call: Johnson, Werth, Jimenez or ... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Tough call: Johnson, Werth, Jimenez or ...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tough call: Johnson, Werth, Jimenez or ...

Postby SteveJeltzPhanClub » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:49 am

I'm in a traditional 5x5 roto 12 team keeper league

My keepers are:
Pujols
Cruz
Kinsler
Posey
Halladay

I have the 4th pick in the first round and the following players will most likely be available:

J. Johnson
J. Werth
U. Jimenez
A. Either
R. Weeks
J. Rollins
N. Feliz

Feliz in particular is intriguing, as the next best closer still available is F-Rod.

Who would be your pick?
SteveJeltzPhanClub
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Tough call: Johnson, Werth, Jimenez or ...

Postby Joscellin » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:07 am

I think Werth is your best bet here. You really don't need to take another pitcher this early when you have Halladay locking you down, so take the best slugger on the board: Werth.

I wouldn't blink at Feliz right now, given the uncertainty in the rotation still. He is supposed to start another game tomorrow, and they had Ogando pitching the 9th earlier today. I still think he ends up in the pen (wrong choice, but that's another thread), but I wouldn't take the risk. He still has value as a starter, but it would probably shift him down to more the phil hughes, john danks, danny hudson range (this year). Look at it this way, you're essentially just starting in the 6th round. Would you normally draft a closer in the 6th round? I hope not, because even your Mo Rivera, Bell, Wilson and Soria types aren't going off the board until later than that in most drafts. Take advantage of your opponents jumping on later picks with keepers and snatch up the 4th rounder that's still around *way* too late.

Rollins is an intriguing option, given the relative scarcity at SS, especially if Reyes, A Ramirez and Andrus are kept, so that is the other one I would consider, but I would opt for the best player left on the board still: Werth, by a good margin.
Joscellin
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions