Slow draft: Nathan or Bailey? Lily or Myers? WHIR!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Slow draft: Nathan or Bailey? Lily or Myers? WHIR!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Slow draft: Nathan or Bailey? Lily or Myers? WHIR!!!

Postby plapre3 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:21 am

We are in the midst of our slow draft and I'm not sure where to go with this. Closers are already very shallow, so I'm thinking of heading in that direction. Please rank the following players, going at least a few deep, since there are two picks ahead of me.

My team thus far:

- Geovanny Soto, Prince Fielder, Ian Kinsler, Hanley Ramirez, Kevin Youkilis, Shin Soo Choo, Shane Victorino
- Roy Halladay, Jon Lester, Jered Weaver, Matt Thornton

Available:

Non-OF Hitters: Stephen Drew, Derek Lee, Gaby Sanchez, Michael Young
OF: Nick Swisher, Torii Hunter, Angel Pagan, Bobby Abreu, Andres Torres, Aubrey Huff, Vladimir Guerrero, Travis Snider, Vernon Wells, Carlos Quentin, Denard Span, Jose Tabata, Carlos Beltran, Carlos Lee
SP: Ted Lily, Brett Myers, Hiroki Kuroda, Ryan Dempster, Ricky Nolasco, CJ Wilson, Scott Baker, Edwin Jackson, Gavin Floyd, Javier Vazquez
RP: Andrew Bailey, Joe Nathan, Francisco Cordero, JJ Putz, Craig Kimbrel, Ryan Franklin, Joel Hanrahan, Brad Lidge, Leo Nunez
--------------------------------------------------
6x6 weekly HtH 14 team roto keeper (bet. 5 and 10 keepers losing a draft pick for each after 5)

Offensive Categories:
BA, OPS, RBI, HR, SB and Runs Scored.
C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, UTIL
Pitching Categories:
W-L, S, ERA, K/IP, Quality Starts and WHIP
5 SP and 3 RP
----------------------------------------------------
plapre3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Slow draft: Nathan or Bailey? Lily or Myers? WHIR!!!

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:26 am

Quentin
Nathan
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby plapre3 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:54 am

bump.

Should be around the site all day, so leave links. Picking soon, so I'd love more feedback.

At the moment, I'm leaning toward Nathan if he falls since the velocity is back this spring and we're in the middle of a run on closers.
plapre3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby midwestpatsfan » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:16 am

Thanks for answering mine.

I think so far you have had a real strong draft so I don't think you need to get another starter just yet as that position is deep anyways. Nathan would be the reliever I would go after with the ? on Bailey. Nathan should be back to form and be a top tier closer. Putz would be next even though he now has some injury concern.
If you decide to go after hitting I would go Huff then Quentin. Huff is not as glamourous but is the safer pick. Quentin could put up 35 bombs but he could miss half the season with injuries.

Hope this helps.
midwestpatsfan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hot4tx » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:32 am

If you want safe from a hitter I'd take Bob Abreu. Even on the decline he's still a potential 20/20 guy, hits for good average, and should have enough r+rbi opportunities that his reasonable floor is pretty high. If you want risk/reward I would go with Quentin. He might give you power with low average and missed time, but when he's right he can give you a nuetral average with tons of power and r+rbi ops.

I think I'd choose Bailey over Nathan personally. I think Nathan's save ops will be curtailed somewhat with the Twins trying to not overuse him and with a decent guy with closing experience behind him. Also it's no sure thing that Nathan puts up dominant Ks and ratios this year (sometimes it still takes the 18 months, sometimes 12 is ok). When Bailey is healthy he is a top closer. I think there's as much risk to Nathan as there is to Bailey and I'd rather take the guy I feel will more likely perform at an elite level when healthy and I'll DL him when he's not. But again that is a risk/reward deal.

Help me with mine if you get a chance
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions