Trading for Hanley... would you? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Trading for Hanley... would you?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trading for Hanley... would you?

Postby hot4tx » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:39 pm

Two versions of a trade that amount to the ones below. Would you do either to get Hanley (base it strictly on value in a 12-team 5x5 league)?

Trade 1)
Hanley Ramirez, Zack Greinke, Hanrahan/Nunez type dumpster diver closer
for
Prince Fielder, Dustin Pedroia, either Alex Rios or Cole Hamels

Trade 2)
Hanley Ramirez, Bob Abreu, Joe Nathan
for
Prince Fielder, Dustin Pedroia, either Alex Rios or Cole Hamels

Thanks and WHIR later tonight when I get home
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trading for Hanley... would you?

Postby billycent » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:35 am

Really depends on your existing roster but at first glance I don't really like either trade for you as you give up overall the best group of players. Def better value in the first trade where u get Hanley and Greinke... but not enough imo. Thnx for the help on mine.
billycent
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby khann0n » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:38 am

Like he said above, the top one if the better deal with giving Cole, but I don't know that I would do it. If you wont have a hole at 1b/2b then I would do it, but you dont want to clean out your roster for Hanley.
khann0n
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby birdbrains » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:49 am

i dont like either one...i see greinke as a buy low....hanley is great....but its hanley and a crapshoot...dont like the 2nd one that much,,,its ok but wont clearly help you
birdbrains
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 109)

Postby UMTerp29 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:51 am

Agree with the above. Without knowing the makeup of your roster, on value alone I like your group of players better.
UMTerp29
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sinicalypse » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:06 am

Yeah, I'd definitely list your roster here cuz I can't give you a truly definitive position without knowing what you're working with.

That said, in general, I wouldn't go out of my way to trade for Hanley.... I mean I've flung some crap at the wall to see if I could proy him from someone who also had an Alexei Ramirez type SS, but I typically stay wary of power/speed combo guys, only because if one of the categories falls off you're left like "wtf"

But yeah if you list ye olde roster I can give you the definitive word of sinicalypse.... for whatever that's worth =D
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby hot4tx » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:33 am

Well it's actually a pre-draft trade. 5x5 12-teamer where for ease of explanation say we keep 4 players as our top 4 picks and start drafting in the 5th round. Hanley, Fielder, and Pedroia are keepers (and Greinke would become a keeper with this top 2-for-1 deal) and I'd give up my early 6th round pick (where I'd likely get Rios or Hamels if I drafted there) and get a 20th round pick (likely a dumpster dive closer for me).

My thoughts: SS is so thin, 2B and 1B are so deep that I like the top one, but I'm guessing either most people don't like Hanley as much as I do or I'm not as high on Pedroia (with the hoof and the 2B depth) as ya'll are? Thanks for the continued help cafe!
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby plapre3 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:37 am

I think I'd take the first deal. I think Greinke will be fine once back and you are right about the position scarcity argument for Hanley. I like Pedroia and Fielder a lot, so it's certainly not a steal of a deal, but anytime you can control a top 3 talent in fantasy, the better off you will be.

Thanks for the help with my slow draft pick. Went with Bailey.
plapre3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mojoorising » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:12 pm

Thanks for the help with mine. Without seeing your roster its hard to say but looking at just the players i would not do either trade.
mojoorising
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Valandir » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:47 pm

Thanks for the help, I definitely like the first trade much more than the second trade - you get so much more value with Greinke than you do with Abreu and Nathan.

Even so, I don't think I'd do the trade as is. I like the idea of targeting SS based on the lack of depth in the position, but giving up both Fielder, Pedroia, and another premium player is tough for Greinke and Hanram. If you give up Hamels, you're essentially giving up Fielder and Pedroia for Hanley. Personally, I think the drop offs you'd get at both 1B and 2B from losing the two would definitely outweigh the increase you'd get from Hanley over a SS somewhere else - SS isn't strong, but you do have options.
Valandir
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions