biggest defensive improvement - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

biggest defensive improvement

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

biggest defensive improvement

Postby gforce1124 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:17 am

I'm looking to tweak my SP projections before my draft this weekend. My first time through I didn't account for changes in fielders/defense ability and the resulting impact on the SP's stats. This could be for a SP that stayed on the same team, but that team upgraded significantly in the field (like the Rays a couple years ago). It could also be for a SP that was on a poor defensive team last year but switched to a new team in the off season (like Javy Vazquez moving from the White Sox to the Braves a couple years ago). To help me battle my time crunch, can anyone throw out the SP expected to see the biggest improvement in the defense behind them?
gforce1124
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: biggest defensive improvement

Postby kab21 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:00 am

the Marlins plan on starting Matt Dominguez (a rookie but an excellent fielder) at 3B (last I heard) and Infante at 2B (instead of Uggla). That has to be considered a big improvement.

the rangers are switching from Young to Beltre at 3B. Upgrade.

The Red Sox switch from Beltre to Youk (downgrade) but add Crawford in the OF. Probably a wash overall.

The Nats get rid of dunn at 1B while adding Werth in the OF. Upgrade.

Twins Hardy to Casilla at SS. further downgrade and possibly one of the worst defenses in the MLB.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 181)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:15 am

Cardinals defense took a hit with Theriot at SS instead of Ryan and Berkman in RF.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 356)

Postby dmattingly23 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:31 pm

I think the Uggla switch will have the biggest difference.

Of course hurts the Braves pitchers and helps the Marlins.

He may be the worst defensive 2nd baseman I've ever seen.

I watched alot of Marlin games last year and he was just killing their pitchers by extending innings.

Can not turn a double play.

But unfortunetly for the Marlins, I've never seen as bad of an OF defense than what they are planning to go with. But I seriously doubt they'll stay with this arraingement for long.
dmattingly23
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Tavish » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:28 pm

The Brewers going from Escobar to Betancourt is really going to hurt that infield defense that was already somewhat suspect.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:16 pm

I'd watch out moving your Braves pitchers down too much though. I'd say (or at least hope) that Prado is basically the backup 2B. Meaning that if Chipper gets hurt (likely), Prado moves to 2B and Uggla to 3B. I could be wrong about that, but I think the Braves would prefer to do that over playing Conrad at 3B and Uggla at 2B (which would be terrible defense at both positions).
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby BalataGrande » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:52 pm

I believe, if I was an Anaheim Angels pitcher, that I'd love having 3 stud center fielders (albeit 2 of them aging) roaming my outfield. Bourjos is an absolute gap robber.......
BalataGrande
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Ender » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:25 pm

Tavish wrote:The Brewers going from Escobar to Betancourt is really going to hurt that infield defense that was already somewhat suspect.

I hope Cruz and Counsell steal enough AB from Betancourt that it isn't noticeable. Escobar was not good defensively last year even though he should be in the future. They also have a lot more K/9 on the roster which tends to lower the impact a defense makes. Greinke moved from the AL to the NL and had a terrible defense behind him so I doubt it matters for him. Marcum might take a bit of a hit due to defense though but I'd think switching from the AL East to the NL Central should offset it.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers