Homerun only league help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Homerun only league help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Homerun only league help

Postby sadlyajetsfan » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:46 pm

It's my first time doing a hr only league. There are no positions, just pick whichever player you want. Are there rankings around here for that type of league?
10 team,H2H,5x5
C-Montero
1B-A.Gonzalez
2B-Utley
3B-Longoria
SS-Reyes
1B/3B-Morneau
2b/SS-K.Jonhson
OF-J.Upton,CarGo,Pierre
UTL-Rasmus
P-Hamels,Nolasco,W.Rodriguez,Garza,Wagner,Aardsma
BN-Span,Slowey,Liriano,E.Santana,Gregg, Pelfrey, Street
DL-B. Anderson
sadlyajetsfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Homerun only league help

Postby CBMGreatOne » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:33 pm

I think your best bet is to go to a site like ESPN with sortable projections and simply sort by total HR. You can then break everybody down by position. If the projections also list a # of ABs, after all of the 20+ HR hitters are gone, start weighing your choices against HR/AB ratio. There's no point in drafting a player like Rajai Davis obviously, but there is also almost just as little point in drafting any players that you know for sure can't hit as many as 20 HRs.

We have a thread here called Wisdom of the Crowds Projections or something like that, which is a database of the average projections of nearly a dozen fantasy providers that would be an excellent resource. Remember to sort by HRs, think in terms of HRs per AB in the late rounds, mix in some gut feeling and you should do well. It's as simple a format as they come and Adam Dunn is pretty easily the #1 pick for me. I guess if it's a really small league guys like Tulo and Cano could be candidates at the top as well.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 226)

Postby sadlyajetsfan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:45 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:I think your best bet is to go to a site like ESPN with sortable projections and simply sort by total HR. You can then break everybody down by position. If the projections also list a # of ABs, after all of the 20+ HR hitters are gone, start weighing your choices against HR/AB ratio. There's no point in drafting a player like Rajai Davis obviously, but there is also almost just as little point in drafting any players that you know for sure can't hit as many as 20 HRs.

We have a thread here called Wisdom of the Crowds Projections or something like that, which is a database of the average projections of nearly a dozen fantasy providers that would be an excellent resource. Remember to sort by HRs, think in terms of HRs per AB in the late rounds, mix in some gut feeling and you should do well. It's as simple a format as they come and Adam Dunn is pretty easily the #1 pick for me. I guess if it's a really small league guys like Tulo and Cano could be candidates at the top as well.

Thanks for the help. The format is going to be really tough. You draft 5 players of any position and only HR's matter, serpentine style draft. There's no trading or pickups so the players you draft you'll have all season. If you draft a player and they go down with a season ending injury, you can't pickup someone you're just pretty much done for the season. Also there are 27 people in the draft so I'm looking at roughly 150 players overall. I have 11th pick which isn't terrible but not great.
10 team,H2H,5x5
C-Montero
1B-A.Gonzalez
2B-Utley
3B-Longoria
SS-Reyes
1B/3B-Morneau
2b/SS-K.Jonhson
OF-J.Upton,CarGo,Pierre
UTL-Rasmus
P-Hamels,Nolasco,W.Rodriguez,Garza,Wagner,Aardsma
BN-Span,Slowey,Liriano,E.Santana,Gregg, Pelfrey, Street
DL-B. Anderson
sadlyajetsfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Super Manny » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:30 pm

Once all the big names are gone and everyone's scraping the bottom of the barrel, here are some late round sleepers that your leaguemates may or may not know about. I'd say each has a legitimate shot at 20-25+ home runs.

Ike Davis
Luke Scott
Kila Ka'aihue
Michael Morse
Mitch Moreland
Jason Kubel
Edwin Encarnacion
Ian Stewart
Travis Snider
Tyler Colvin
Ryan Raburn
Mark Trumbo (starting the season at 1B for the Angels; his playing time will be directly affected by how quickly and effectively Kendrys Morales returns)
Russell Branyan and Dan Johnson (keep an eye on their respective battles for jobs/playing time in ARI and TB)

Also don't forget about DH types like Ortiz, Thome, and Matsui.

"When you don't feel good and you still get hits, that's when you know you are a bad man." -Manuel A. Ramirez
Super Manny
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers