3%
David Wright
No votes
Adrian Gonzalez
No votes

Total votes : 65

Make The Pick - #4 spot

Postby AquaMan2342 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:16 pm

Cabrera was going to be a runaway winner at the 3 slot, so it's time to move on. Are we playing the norm with Joey Votto or perhaps going in another direction?

1.1 - Albert Pujols, 1B STL
1.2 - Hanley Ramirez, SS FLA
1.3 - Miguel Cabrera, 1B DET
1.4 -
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Re: Make The Pick - #4 spot

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:23 pm

Crawford. Positive contributor in all 5 categories, and his high BA in such a huge amount of at-bats can't be overlooked, nor can the stolen bases. It may seem easy and cheap to snag those extra 40 steals late in the draft, but that requires taking up an additional roster spot which is something people fail to consider.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby kab21 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:50 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Crawford. Positive contributor in all 5 categories, and his high BA in such a huge amount of at-bats can't be overlooked, nor can the stolen bases. It may seem easy and cheap to snag those extra 40 steals late in the draft, but that requires taking up an additional roster spot which is something people fail to consider.

You don't have to wait until late in the draft to grab the SB's. Just later. Like McCutchen, Elllsbury, Gardner or Pagan in varying levels of lateness. But where Crawford sets himself apart and why he deserves to be considered here is that he can also get 200 R/RBI's. It's one thing to trade HR's for more SB's (in most cases a lot more) but Crawford until last year was 50-60 R+RBI's behind the big boppers. But in Boston I think he can match last years 200 R/RBI's.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby RAmst23 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:02 pm

I went with Tulo here since it's such a big advantage to have a power hitter from your SS spot. Nothing against Votto of course and could just as easily take him here. Also, you get to hope for Fielder or Howard dropping in your draft and picking them up with your second pick.

I'd rather go for power earlier in a draft so I'm not quite ready to draft Crawford. There's going to be about what, a 20 HR difference between Braun and Crawford? I'd rather be making up the lost SBs later in the draft than trying to make up the lost power.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:08 pm

i dont like this spot at all. i'm just not a believer in Tulo staying healthy so i'd probably roll with Braun...partly depends on if it's a 3OF or 5OF league though
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby AquaMan2342 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:11 pm

kab21 wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:Crawford. Positive contributor in all 5 categories, and his high BA in such a huge amount of at-bats can't be overlooked, nor can the stolen bases. It may seem easy and cheap to snag those extra 40 steals late in the draft, but that requires taking up an additional roster spot which is something people fail to consider.

You don't have to wait until late in the draft to grab the SB's. Just later. Like McCutchen, Elllsbury, Gardner or Pagan in varying levels of lateness. But where Crawford sets himself apart and why he deserves to be considered here is that he can also get 200 R/RBI's. It's one thing to trade HR's for more SB's (in most cases a lot more) but Crawford until last year was 50-60 R+RBI's behind the big boppers. But in Boston I think he can match last years 200 R/RBI's.

This is exactly the reason I'd take Crawford in the 4 slot. As I posted on another thread, Crawford in Tampa Bay was excellent....Crawford in Boston should be beastly.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby J35J » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:12 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:i dont like this spot at all. i'm just not a believer in Tulo staying healthy so i'd probably roll with Braun...partly depends on if it's a 3OF or 5OF league though

I don't like it either unless of course one of the top 3 drop. I chose Votto but a few guys could go there and I wouldn't care.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby rookies and cream » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:30 pm

I had the #4 in my $ league and ended up getting:

1. Tulo
2. Howard
3. Zimmerman

Needless to say I was happy...
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:37 pm

I like Tulo here.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby AEMRICH » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:48 pm

I'm on the Evan Longoria bandwagon at 4 for several reasons
1. 3B is very shallow
2. he has 35+ HR potential (last year his hr/F was 11% vs 2009 18% and 2008 20% expect a rebound)
3. swiped 15 bags last year
4. could bat .300 this year
5. TB lineup isn't as bad as made out to be
6. plays in AL East HR happy division
7. only 25 and going to continue getting better

looking at a floor of .290 30HR 95Runs 100 RBI 10SB with the potential to go
.300 35 110R 120RBI 15SB @3B
College Tuition: $12,000
Room & Board: $5,600
Books: $500
Food Plan: $2000
Not going to college and living with your parents: Priceless