What is the main difference between F football and f basebal - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

What is the main difference between F football and f basebal

What is the main difference between F football and f basebal

Postby Jk29681 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:36 am

I've been in a pretty competitive fantasy football league for 10 years. I joined a friends fantasy baseball league this year. I've tried some free baseball leagues in the past, but I really suck. Can't seem to change gears to baseball.

Can someone break down the major differences between the 2?

Here is my leagues scoring info....weekly head to head, runs, RBI, sb, hr, avg, wins, so, walk, whip. Oh yeah, I have the first overall pick,serpentine draft, 14 teams.

Besides the questions below, are there any other tips,information you can offer up?

What positions should I look to field first?
What is the stategy for bench players?
What positions have are really deep.
What positions have the most impact?

Thanks for taking the time.....

Albert or Hanley with the first overall pick?
Jk29681
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What is the main difference between F football and f bas

Postby javens » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:03 pm

1. Generally, most people like to take hitters first. Looking at Average Draft Position (ADP) is a good thing to study before the draft. If you have first overall pick your pretty much deciding between Pujols and Hanley. In my opinion, pitching is too volatile to waste very early picks on.
2. I normally like to have more pitchers on my bench than hitters. Bench hitter usually don't see too much action. It's always good to have one extra OF and a multi-position player like Mike Aviles on your bench as well.
3. First Base is really deep this year, and outfield is naturally deep. Positions that are not deep are SS (especially this year) and C.
4. It's hard to say which position's have the most impact. Any 2B can have just as much impact as an OF or 1B.
javens
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 11)

Postby javens » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:06 pm

Also, going into a 14-team league in the first year of playing fantasy baseball is not going to be easy. I would try going for a 10-team league to get the hang of it, but it's probably too late for that. Good Luck.
javens
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 11)

Postby funsizelvis » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:28 am

im a first year fantasy baseball guy too. already it looks like patience is key. if this were football, some of these guys im holding would be on the WW for sure....
funsizelvis
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby timaxman » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:51 pm

funsizelvis wrote:im a first year fantasy baseball guy too. already it looks like patience is key. if this were football, some of these guys im holding would be on the WW for sure....

True, it's a long season. They key to fantasy baseball is the underlying set of numbers, you will win leagues if you can make factually based decisions about sleepers/busts, and sell high/ buy low accordingly.
Fantasy Baseball focused twitter! http://www.twitter.com/arv3403 Happy to answer questions/give advice, just send a tweet!
timaxman
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Venom » Sun May 01, 2011 12:47 am

I don't think that drafting is all that different between the 2.

You are picking the best available until you need to fill spots.

The only thing about baseball is that there are 2 categories, hitters and pitchers. Need to have a stud or 2 in both or you are more than likely sunk.

Having said that, the main difference and most important...with fantasy football your roster changes may only be to pull a player on a bye week, or for an injury. With fantasy baseball you need to pay close attention to when your starting pitchers are playing...and set your roster accordingly. You cant just set your lineup from week to week like you can in football. You need to have your starting pitcher in the lineup when he pitches, or you do not get his stats, which means checking in every day or two.

Like already posted above...a 14 teamer is gonna be tough to start with. Jump in another 10 teamer to "practice" and use that knowledge to OWN your buddies in your rookie year.

Here is a link that may offer some more help...viewtopic.php?t=155698
Venom
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Beginner's Forum