Advice/comments please WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Advice/comments please WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Advice/comments please WHIR

Postby afern401 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:20 pm

This team is in a 5x5 scoring, 12 team Head to Head league. We use OBP instead of BA.

C: Miguel Montero
1B: Adrian Gonzalez
2B: Neil Walker
3B: Casey McGehee
SS: Elvis Andrus
OF: Andrew McCutchen, Hunter Pence, Shane Victorino
Util: Adam Dunn
Bench: Brett Gardener, Ryan Raburn, Reid Brignac, Michael Morse

SP: Justin Verlander, Cole Hamels, Gio Gonzalez, James Shields, Edwin Jackson, Carl Pavano
RP: Chris Perez, Craig Kimbrel

So this was my first draft of the season. At the time I thought I was doing alright but looking back I am not happy with my roster. There are a few bright spots but I think I am lacking in several areas. I am not happy with my 2B, 3B, SP and RP situations. I also wish I had more power on this team. My bench has a lot of upside, but i could just as easily be cutting Raburn, Brignac and Morse early on. I will most likely trade some of my SBs to upgrade my team.

What do you think of my team? what ways can I improve it? Thanks for all your help, leave a link and I'll reply as best I can.
afern401
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Advice/comments please WHIR

Postby beast1125 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:47 pm

your definitely weak at 2B,C,SS
I like your outfield, you may end up starting Gardner before all is said and done.
Pitching seems solid, I tend to think pitchers are overvalued especially in 10 or less team leagues. Thus, you probably drafted a couple pitchers too high and thats what caused your lack of quality infield players
beast1125
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mzkp54 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:00 am

I think that your team revolves around a few very strong players. It's good that your attitude appears that you are not too attached to alot of your team, because this looks to me like a team that has the potential to do very well, but it will need some in season work. You definitely need upgrades at 2b, ss, and some more pitching depth. I think 3B could stand to be upgraded as well, but I think Mcgehee is a fine stopgap. There's upside in your pitching staff for sure, but there are also definitely questions. I also think you'll end up starting Gardner before long, I see a big year for him.

I'm curious, who was your 2nd pick? Gonzalez was clearly the first, but I've generally seen both McCutchen and Dunn as 3rd/4th rounders
mzkp54
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby afern401 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:25 am

Mz, I jumped the gun on Dunn I know. If I passed on him in 2 I wasnt going to get him so I went for it. Oh well, I can live with it I guess. What really forced my hand was that there were 3 managers on auto draft that were drafting the highest ranked players so I knew there was zero chance of players falling to later rounds.

I had 4 pitchers targeted in the middle rounds that were literally drafted 1 after the other so that kind of sent me into a tail spin. I'll improve my SP no doubt, RP will take some work on the waiver wire but it is 2nd base I really want to address. I think I can trade for B. Phillips. He puts up nice numbers, does he have any injury concerns?

In my opinion I am alright at SS. I know Andrus doenst have any power and isnt a big RBI contributor. He helps in runs and sb however. I got him in round 8 and although I would have liked to have waited, I didnt like the other SS options after him.
afern401
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 23)

Postby indigo » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:56 am

Brandon Phillips battled hand and wrist injuries in the second half of last season. But he's solid and he should approach a 20/20 season once again.
indigo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Rin04 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:11 am

Pretty solid team there. I think you pointed out your obvious weaknesses in 2B and 3B. McGegee needs to come close to last years numbers which I don't see happening. If I were you I'd look to trade one of your solid bench players (besides Raburn since you need some 2B backup) for a some 3B safety. Maybe trade Gardener to someone who really needs steals. As for your pitching you have a solid 1-2 punch in Verlander and Hamels but I'd be keeping a close eye on the closer wire as it seems like you'll need some cheap saves.
Rin04
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Choptoberfest » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:05 pm

As others have said, 2B, 3B and Closer are where you need to focus. Kimbrel is going to be splitting time with Venters I think. But closer is a position that changes often throughout the season, so you should be able to pick some up on the WW. Starting pitching is excellent, I don't know if I wouldn't try to trade Hamels for a 2B since in a 10 team league, there is probably some good SP still available.

Help with mine? viewtopic.php?t=424684
Choptoberfest
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Swept Away » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:09 pm

I agree that you could use a better 2B or 3B, and I think you could use another RP. I really like your OF and I think you're being too hard on your SP. I'm a big Verlander fan and I consider him a solid ace, and you have depth there too.

Please help: http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=424728&p=3366619#p3366619
Swept Away
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby Jackson » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:25 pm

I agree with the others on your weaknesses....However I really like your starting pitchers. Look for Gio to have a great season.

Good Luck!!!
Jackson
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby raiderrob1616 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:12 pm

afern401 wrote:This team is in a 5x5 scoring, 12 team Head to Head league. We use OBP instead of BA.

C: Miguel Montero
1B: Adrian Gonzalez
2B: Neil Walker
3B: Casey McGehee
SS: Elvis Andrus
OF: Andrew McCutchen, Hunter Pence, Shane Victorino
Util: Adam Dunn
Bench: Brett Gardener, Ryan Raburn, Reid Brignac, Michael Morse

SP: Justin Verlander, Cole Hamels, Gio Gonzalez, James Shields, Edwin Jackson, Carl Pavano
RP: Chris Perez, Craig Kimbrel

So this was my first draft of the season. At the time I thought I was doing alright but looking back I am not happy with my roster. There are a few bright spots but I think I am lacking in several areas. I am not happy with my 2B, 3B, SP and RP situations. I also wish I had more power on this team. My bench has a lot of upside, but i could just as easily be cutting Raburn, Brignac and Morse early on. I will most likely trade some of my SBs to upgrade my team.

What do you think of my team? what ways can I improve it? Thanks for all your help, leave a link and I'll reply as best I can.

yes this team does need some work, although i dont think walker and mcgehee arent that bad in a 12 person league, i mean you cant have studs at every position. I do feel ur bench is pretty good, if i had this team id try and trade mccutchen st8 up for a sp(lester,kershaw,josh johnson,ubaldo,cc) and start brett gardner every day. Big fan of gio(a's fan) but after ur top 3 that isnt enough SP in my eyes too compete(esp since u only have perez and kimbrel. i wouldnt be too worried about ur RP tho because if you are active enough u can get some closers sooner rather then later
raiderrob1616
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team