Happy with my 5x5 Squad, Do you agree? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Happy with my 5x5 Squad, Do you agree?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Happy with my 5x5 Squad, Do you agree?

Postby jbird669 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:56 pm

Drafted my 5x5 roto keeper league team on Saturday. We have a $260 in-season cap with FAAB. Interesting tidbits: pre-auction inflation was 29%, in-draft inflation got up to 45%. Injured pitchers went high. As you can see I took Santana at $7. Adam Wainwright, who won't pitch until next year, probably in June, went for $8. Stephen Strasburg, who may or may not pitch this year, went for $13. To compare, Joe Nathan was a reserve pick last season.

My keepers are bold. I'll gladly help in return.

The Bingo Long Traveling All-Stars & Motor Kings
Pos Player Salary Elig
C Suzuki, Kurt C OAK $2 C,DH,U
1B Howard, Ryan 1B PHI $38 1B,DH,U
2B Johnson, Kelly 2B ARI $7 2B,DH,U
3B Beltre, Adrian 3B TEX $10 3B,DH,U
SS Ramirez, Hanley SS FLA $32 DH,SS,U
OF Hunter, Torii CF ANA $13 DH,OF,U

OF Span, Denard CF MIN $10 DH,OF,U
OF Raburn, Ryan LF DET $8 DH,OF,U
OF Swisher, Nick RF NYY $11 DH,OF,U
DH Prado, Martin 2B ATL $5 2B,3B,DH,U
U Freeman, Freddie 1B ATL $2 1B,DH,U
P Scherzer, Max SP DET $5 P

P Venters, Jonny RP ATL $8 P
P Lilly, Ted SP LA $10 P
P Madson, Ryan RP PHI $5 P
P Harang, Aaron SP SD $1 P
P Floyd, Gavin SP CHW $10 P
P Haren, Dan SP ANA $31 P
P Latos, Mat SP SD $10 P
P Thornton, Matt RP CHW $7 P

RES Fowler, Dexter CF COL $7 DH,OF,U
RES Jansen, Kenley RP LA $1 P
RES Reynolds, Mark 3B BAL $16 3B,DH,U
RES Santana, Johan SP NYM $7 P
RES Bourjos, Peter CF ANA $1 DH,OF,U
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Happy with my 5x5 Squad, Do you agree?

Postby Padres Fan » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:49 am

I like the Suzuki pick at C, he is a good player there as you just insert in the C position and don't have to worry the rest of season as he seems to play everyday and puts up solid stats. Your infield (including your INF bench and players at DH amd UT) will hurt in AVG due to a couple of BA drains, but great power and speed.
Your OF is very worrysome, your most constitent player is Torii Hunter and he is aging and declining and better as a #3 OF not your #1, Swisher had a good year but has been streaky his whole career and .260 25hr year isn't out of the question. Span needs to get on base better and utilize his speed more to justify his value, Raburn and Bourjos need to keep their starting gigs. I like Fowler pick decent AVG, excellent speed and some power. Overall seems to be a bunch of fantasy bench players starting in your OF, but you also didn't break the bank on them either
you hitters seem to be balanced value wise though

You have only two closers and one is going into the season as a time share so his value is pretty low (Venters), I also doubt Thornton will be a stud closer in CHI, more like 30sv 3.00era, Jansen is probably a year or two away, since Broxton is the closer and could easily regain form again (like top closers do after a bad year). Overpaid a little for Haren but overall a pretty good SP set up for the price, alot of players in pitching parks, and Harang should put up decent #'s

Thanks for the help with mine
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby BigRy » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:06 am

I like your team for an auction team. I thnk you did a good job building quality depth with your infield-definately the strength of your team. I agree with the above poster that your OF is a worry and a move will need to be made either on the wire or pulling off a trade.

Your closer situation is also difficult.

Id say two areas you will need to focus on during the season are

Outfield
finding another closer

Thanks,

Ry

help with mine

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=425182
BigRy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jbird669 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:40 pm

Thanks for the help. Glad to assist with yours. I should mention I typically punt saves. There's only so many good closers each year (especially since top 7-10 are usually kept) and I'd rather take a chance on the guy behind the front liner and spend elsewhere. Not to mention, more often than not, they help with WHIP and ERA (where I've done well the past two years).
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby misterf » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:50 pm

Thanks for the help with mine

Gotta agree with the previous posters.....decent team.....but two real holes: outfield and closers

The closer issue is less worriesome to me.....you can always find saves during the season on the waiver wire if you are proactive. But you do need to pay close attention early in the season to take advantage of the typical demotions, promotions and injuries at the closer position.

But I think you really need to find a way to improve your outfield.

Since it seems the league over-values injured pitchers for keeper purposes I would trade Johan Santana in a heartbeat (play for this year.....not the future). You also have two 3b's that are roughly of equal value in Beltre and Reynolds.....i would also consider trading one of those guys to improve the of.

You have a couple of holes in the team, but you also have some very solid players.....it will take a bit of work, but you can certainly make a decent run with this team.
misterf
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 54)

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team