Ma Bell is back. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Ma Bell is back.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Ma Bell is back.

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:06 pm

I hope the gov't nixes this deal. But AT&T has a $3B guarantee in place. If the deal falls through for any reason, they have to pay $3B to T-Mobile.

That should grease a lot of governmental palms to ensure this deal happens. :-[
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby markj11 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:21 am

I got the ill communication
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jfg » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:28 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Metroid wrote:I'd rather use my computer as a computer and let my phone be a phone. :-b

QFT

also my wife already complains i spend too much time on the computer so the smartphone would probably get smashed in a fit of rage

I wouldn't have a cell phone if it wasn't a smart phone. I held off for a long time and I'd say maybe 2% of my smart phone usage is spent talking on the phone or texting. My main sources of communication outside of personal face to face interactions are email and Facebook. I'm waiting for a device smaller than a tablet that allows me to just have a data plan without a cell phone contract.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:39 pm

jfg wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
Metroid wrote:I'd rather use my computer as a computer and let my phone be a phone. :-b

QFT

also my wife already complains i spend too much time on the computer so the smartphone would probably get smashed in a fit of rage

I wouldn't have a cell phone if it wasn't a smart phone. I held off for a long time and I'd say maybe 2% of my smart phone usage is spent talking on the phone or texting. My main sources of communication outside of personal face to face interactions are email and Facebook. I'm waiting for a device smaller than a tablet that allows me to just have a data plan without a cell phone contract.

my question is this: when are you going to be able to use google phone or some other form of web based phone on your smart phone, and how are cell phone companies going to handle that? also, can I somehow lock in my unlimited data package? not interested in per byte (or whatever) billing..
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby jfg » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:17 pm

That's the thing, unlimited plans still exist for those that had them but there is no way that a cell company will ever offer an unlimited data plan especially without a cell plan. You could use an iPad or a netbook and use Google voice or Skype but that's a little ridiculous. I suppose you could get a wifi to go plan and use an ipod touch. Give me a phone size device with unlimited 4g though and I'll pay $40 a month for it. That's probably not enough for cell companies.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:45 pm

Just tested the 4G in LA and I'm getting 10 mbps download and 40 mbps upload.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby jfg » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:05 am

It's weird how upload is so high on 4G.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bleach168 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:38 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:Verizon will have 4G data plan caps to begin with. Think it's $50 for 5 GB and $80 for 10 GB.

Are you the CEO for Verizon? That was really prescient.

I really hope Verizon and AT&T start bleeding customers. Or we are all doomed.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:18 am

bleach168 wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:Verizon will have 4G data plan caps to begin with. Think it's $50 for 5 GB and $80 for 10 GB.

Are you the CEO for Verizon? That was really prescient.

Nope, I work in the tech industry but definitely not in telco.

I thought data plan caps were inevitable to begin with anyway. Again, if AT&T buys T-Mobile, that'll mean Sprint will have to follow suit and start enforcing tiered pricing.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Previous

Return to General Talk