Ma Bell is back. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Ma Bell is back.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ma Bell is back.

Postby bleach168 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:32 pm

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=1 ... |financial

Sprint is either getting swallowed up by Verizon or going bankrupt. We'll soon have a duopoly in the wireless industry.

Anyone know a country with good service and competition? I am drawing up a list of potential places to move to.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ma Bell is back.

Postby thedude » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:57 pm

Wouldn't there be serious anti-trust concerns if Verizon merges with Sprint?

bleach168 wrote:http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=19358&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=31703&mapcode=corporate|financial

Sprint is either getting swallowed up by Verizon or going bankrupt. We'll soon have a duopoly in the wireless industry.

MetroPCS feels left out. After all there are regional competitors.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Tavish » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:02 pm

Bad, bad news for Sprint all around and this is all just another reason to despise Apple and the iPhone. This could also mean very bad news for HTC.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby GoodOl'Days » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:20 pm

I wouldn't be too worried about Verizon buying or Sprint even wanting to sell for quite a while, if at all. They might after Verizon completes its LTE roll-out and has converted all it's phones to GSM, but Sprint's wireless division loses money for write-off purposes for their parent company and they're also a mess that no one wants to buy. They run several technologies, some pretty messy, which aren't integrated well and would be a massive headache and cost for Verizon to deal with. Before a potential Sprint purchase I'd look for Verizon to pick up US Cellular and Metro PCS, which started with similar technologies as Verizon and are going through similar conversions to LTE. Maybe we'll have the Comiskey park name back if Verizon is feeling nostalgic. :-b
GoodOl'Days
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby bigken117 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:39 pm

Tavish wrote:Bad, bad news for Sprint all around and this is all just another reason to despise Apple and the iPhone. This could also mean very bad news for HTC.

why for? I think HTC makes better Verizon phones (biased Incredible owner).

Also Sprint has sucked since day 1, both their signal and customer service, so if anything I am surprised it took so long.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:27 pm

bigken117 wrote:
Tavish wrote:Bad, bad news for Sprint all around and this is all just another reason to despise Apple and the iPhone. This could also mean very bad news for HTC.

Also Sprint has sucked since day 1, both their signal and customer service, so if anything I am surprised it took so long.

HTC just released their 4G Verizon phone last week, the Thunderbolt, which people seem to be gassed up about. If I switch away from Blackberry, it'll likely be to that phone pending reviews of it.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:31 am

bigh0rt wrote:
bigken117 wrote:

HTC just released their 4G Verizon phone last week, the Thunderbolt, which people seem to be gassed up about. If I switch away from Blackberry, it'll likely be to that phone pending reviews of it.

i bought a thunderbolt, all the reviews i've seen say it's awesome. huge amount of storage, incredibly fast, and two pretty high quality cameras. should be getting it in the mail on thursday and i'm pretty pumped.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 430)

Postby bleach168 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:04 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
bigken117 wrote:

i bought a thunderbolt, all the reviews i've seen say it's awesome. huge amount of storage, incredibly fast, and two pretty high quality cameras. should be getting it in the mail on thursday and i'm pretty pumped.

Sweet! Do you live in a 4g city? I hear the internet speeds are jaw dropping. Please post your speeds when you get the phone!

I live in a Verizon dead zone so it's not even an option for me.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:22 am

bleach168 wrote:Sweet! Do you live in a 4g city? I hear the internet speeds are jaw dropping. Please post your speeds when you get the phone!

I live in a Verizon dead zone so it's not even an option for me.

i live decently close to SF so hopefully i'll have 4g at my place, if not i would assume it gets expanded here soon. my girlfriend lives in a 4g area so i'm sure i'll get plenty of use out of it. i'll post a speed test when i get a chance, but i've heard it's around 4-12 mbps when you're in range of an LTE tower.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 430)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:22 pm

I'm pretty sure Verizon will aggressively roll out 4G LTE when AT&T could potentially cover 95% of the States' LTE coverage if the T-Mobile acquisition goes through.

I might look into getting a Thunderbolt, but having bought an Incredible last year, I'm probably skittish about buying one until the next best 4G HTC or Android phone comes out. Also, Verizon will have 4G data plan caps to begin with. Think it's $50 for 5 GB and $80 for 10 GB.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 676)

Next

Return to General Talk