Rate this team. 9 team roto 5x5. WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Rate this team. 9 team roto 5x5. WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rate this team. 9 team roto 5x5. WHIR

Postby Gnu314 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:15 pm

I tried to get a fairly balanced team, I didn't want to overspend on OF but the value was too strong for me to turn it down. I drafted out of the 4 spot.

I probably have too many RP and may need to make a move for a higher SP but I'll deal with that when it comes. Alternately I'm concerned about my SS situation but there wasn't much I could do but roll the dice on Furcal. I personally feel like I should be near the top in all categories except steals but there are quite a few cheap sources available at the moment (Bourne and Pierre are both currently on the ww).

I'm more than happy to post the rest of the league as well.

Edit: Scoring is standard R HR RBI SB AVG, W SV K ERA WHIP

C Miguel Montero (Ari - C)
1B Joey Votto (Cin - 1B)
2B Brandon Phillips (Cin - 2B)
3B Michael Young (Tex - 3B)
SS Rafael Furcal (LAD - SS)
OF Matt Holliday (StL - OF)
OF Nelson Cruz (Tex - OF)
OF Jayson Werth (Was - OF)
Util Mark Teixeira( NYY - 1B)
BN Casey McGehee (Mil - 3B)
BN Jason Bay (NYM - OF)

SP Jon Lester (Bos - SP)
SP Cole Hamels(Phi - SP)
RP Mariano Rivera (NYY - RP)
RP J.J. Putz(Ari - RP)
P Jon Rauch (Tor - RP)
P Jonathan Broxton (LAD - RP)
BN Jonathan Sánchez (SF - SP)
BN Frank Francisco (Tor - RP)
BN John Danks (CWS - SP)
BN Brandon Morrow(Tor - SP)
Gnu314
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Rate this team. 9 team roto 5x5. WHIR

Postby TrippySG » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:50 pm

OK so Ill start with pitching. I love the top SP, but am a lot less enthusiastic about Danks these days, and especiallly in a 9 team league I feel you could get better there. I think you will probably win SV most of the time, but at what cost? I feel you could move a RP, still win SV every week and get more K, avg and whip help, with a few W in there too. Love the offense, although I feel the same way about Furcal, and to some extent Phillips. To be completely honest, I think you could move Tex for a better 3B, 2B or SS, although most people wont part with them I think its worth a try because you can live with some volatility at UTIL if your SS or 2B position are more stable. Montero was amazing a couple yrs ago, and I think this season will be much more in line with that. I love Bay as a BN player, he could have a monster season, but I have seen too many people relying on him as an every day OF. Nice OF too, Cruz is scary when healthy.

Help on mine? viewtopic.php?t=424593
TrippySG
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Conrax » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:04 pm

Thanks for the help on mine. Yeah, I agree you have a little too much RP and need try to gain a better SP or another SP. I am a little concerned about Young and how he will fit in mainly because most of his a bats will be at the DH and splitting that with probably Napoli. You also have your power, not quite sure where the speed will be coming from which will net you SBs and Runs. But in a 9 team there should be plenty on the wavier pick something up cheap and quick. You might want to think about maybe moving an OF to get back a better SS or 3B because OFs are dime a dozen.
Conrax
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby hscsoph » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:10 pm

I like your team, I think you need another solid pitcher to anchor your staff and don't fret on the SS situation. Aside from about 5 people in your league, no one has a strong SS. I think you need to add some speed to your team as Furcal is the only decent option you have. See if you can package some of your hitters for speed and another SP option.

Thanks for help on mine.
Montero MigCab Beckham Andrus Sandoval Lind J Upton Ellsbury Braun Markakis Willingham B Roberts B Anderson Ubaldo "no hit" Jimenez Nolasco F Cordero Rodney Morales Baker Matusz Lilly Marcum Scherzer Romero Porcello
hscsoph
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby capitalh » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:17 pm

So I am not used to seeing 9 team leagues, so my idea of the quality of your team might be off. I think your offense looks very good. Furcal is an issue, but even at 9 team I would expect most managers are grappling with at least one position player that they don't like. I think TrippySG had a nice, in depth analysis of your team. I would disagree about Danks, though. I really like him this year (as you saw him on my roster as well!). I think he is probably going to have at least 15 wins, 170 strikeouts, and a mid 3s era; well better than Sanchez or Morrow.

Definitely a lot of RPs. I don't think Frank Francisco is worth holding onto, you have plenty of options for saves.

Good luck!
capitalh
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

!

Postby usclerkguy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:36 pm

Nice lineup. I agree on SB. But that should be able to be attended to by hitting waivers. I also like Danks this year! Your starting pitching is solid but could be upgraded thru trade.I'd want to add an upper tier arm to go along with your top 2 SP. If ya want an ace...ya might have to put up Tex. I'd lean that way.Also see who in your league lacks good RP...maybe work a package deal. Don't sweat SS, only a handful of real good ones. Good luck!
"Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat."--Classy Freddie Blassie
usclerkguy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team