anyone else sick of wins and Ks? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

anyone else sick of wins and Ks?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby zakee » Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:10 pm

oh wait, sorry, I read you wrong. So yeah, I guess maybe I am a communist when it comes to baseball if by that you mean I want the players to be valued fairly based on their own performance rather than what team they play for.
zakee

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby sleepyhead » Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:40 pm

This has gone on way to long. The question now has become: what does fantasy baseball mean to me? Sounds like a college essay.

I still contend that your choice to single out Ks and Ws is arbitrary. In "the real world" (I thought I played fantasy to escape the real world) SBs, and HRs are only helpful if they drive in (HR) or score a run. Creating a seperate category overemphasizes their importance. Still, a SB or HR or K is a lot more exciting than a walk or groundout and overemphasizing them to me is appropriate. Juan Pierre's extra value makes fantasy more interesting.
sleepyhead

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby KolbSaves » Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:11 pm

word to all you aspiring fantasy baseball cafe posters out there

"your" does not equal "you're"
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bloody Nipples » Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:30 pm

and to with one O does not equal too with two Os.
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Forloveofthegame » Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:02 pm

LMao... Gee thanks.... Will this reflect negatively on our grade at the end of the semester and how much of this will be on the test??
Forloveofthegame
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Bloody Nipples » Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:33 pm

If you spell incorrectly more than 10 times on this site. I will contact your commissioner to have you removed from the league ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby justinA » Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:10 pm

zakee wrote:oh wait, sorry, I read you wrong. So yeah, I guess maybe I am a communist when it comes to baseball if by that you mean I want the players to be valued fairly based on their own performance rather than what team they play for.

haha yea.. I actually posted it without the parentheses and then was like, sh*t, that will be taken the wrong way, so i wnet back and changed it. lol.
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:32 pm

zakee wrote:Pettitte's a great example. 4.02 ERA, 6.3 IP per start, but because he had 21 wins and 180 Ks, he's far more valuable and popular than Ryan Franklin, who had a 3.57 ERA, averaged 6.6 IP per start, but had just 11 wins and only struck out 99. Or Kip Wells: 3.28 ERA, 6.3 IP per start, but only 10 wins and 147 Ks. It's utter lunacy that Pettitte had more value than Wells and Franklin last year.

Franklin was very lucky. Half his games in Safeco, plus a very LUCKY 25% hit rate (30% average). Pettitte had a 34% hit rate. Franklin had a 78% strand rate (bullpen), Andy 72 %. Franklin won't sniff a 4 era this year.

DK where did you get that sb % of 63.7? It's way too low. Using liniar weights, a sb is worth .17 of a run, and a caught stealing -.45. That means 73% is the break even point.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby TheRock » Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:54 pm

zakee,

Good grief man, just register so you don't have to remember to type your name every time. Plus then you can select a cool avatar.

<------- Like mine???

I'll chime in with my $.02. I can see what you're saying about W's. But you're asking to change all of baseball, not just fantasy baseball. The pitcher is the only player ever said to "win" or "lose" a game. And that stat is weighed heavily in everything from the Cy Young to the All-star team to your Topps card for that season. Doesn't matter if the 2nd baseman boots an easy ground ball to lose a game, he doesn't get saddled with a loss, it's never recorded that he "lost" the game. The pitcher gets it. Sucks though it does, that's how it is. And it makes sense for the most part. The pitcher is the player most in control of whether his team wins or loses. Hopefully his team will chip in a few runs and play good defense, but the game is his to win or lose. And you'll not hear pitchers complain of shouldering this responsibility. That's what the pitcher's job is - put his team in position to win the game.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Forloveofthegame » Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:12 am

Well said, Rock. Very well said.
Forloveofthegame
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor