anyone else sick of wins and Ks? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

anyone else sick of wins and Ks?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

anyone else sick of wins and Ks?

Postby zakee » Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:53 pm

I despise these stats and am sick of seeing them in every league there is in the universe to join. W heavily discriminates against pitchers on bad teams and rewards mediocre pitchers on good teams, and K heavily discriminates against pitchers who don't throw as hard and actually HELP their teams by throwing fewer pitches by getting contact outs. K is totally irrelevant in the face of ERA.

I guess it's fun for a lot of you to have these stats, but I don't get it. They are so corrupt and ridiculous I just can't take them seriously.

Then there is BA, a stat FAR less important, valuable and, imo, fun than OPS, which incorporates BA, OBP and SLG.

I'd also like to see a league where defense is factored in and setup men get the credit they deserve. So I guess am just going to have to start a league with these settings myself. If any of you would like to join I'll post the ID# and password here after I start it. Only serious, committed, competitive, dedicated and smart players are welcome. This will be a tough, challenging league. No draft dodgers or casual players who make 2 moves a month and abandon their teams once they start to suck.

Settings will be OPS HR R RBI SB FPCT. / ERA WHIP SV H IP ER (last 2 categories cancel each other out and allow 2 extra hitting cats to be added)
zakee

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Andy1234 » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:06 am

Why not get rid of RBI, because it rewards players who have a good player getting on base in front of them.

Or Runs because it rewards players who have good players bat behind them.

Or Saves because good teams win more so there is more Save Opp for closers on winning teams. Same goes for Holds.

Or HR, because it rewards players who play in smaller Ballparks
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pibb55 » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:11 am

a agrument could be made for every stat if thats you look at it...

Runs- Rewards players that have good hitters behind them

RBI - Rewards players that have people that get on base before them and they can hit them home.

SB- Rewards players that are fast.

HR- Rewards players that are stronger and can hit it farther, while discriminating against the contact hitters that HELP their teams just as much.

Saves- Rewards the pitcher that pitches the last inning for the winning team

Every stat category is a measure of skill in one way or another... thats my opinion :-?
pibb55
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pibb55 » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:13 am

haha nice post andy ;-)
pibb55
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SuperMan » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:16 am

Steals discriminate against slow players. That's great.

Strong players hit more home runs. Let's get rid of that category too!

I guess the original poster who say that rushing yards are unfair in fantasy football because teams with good Offensive lines will have better rushers and teams that are ahead will run the ball more.
SuperMan

Postby zakee » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:18 am

I hear you guys, but with those other stats it's not as blatant or extreme. Guys who get on base a lot will score a good amount of runs even on bad teams, and guys who hit well will have a good amount of RBI even on bad teams. Kolb got a ton of saves in the second half with Milwaukee because he's pitched great. There is value and merit in these stats. K on the other hand is just totally irrelevant, and there are a ton of good pitchers with very few wins every year. I don't think it's comparable.

pibb, re your comments on SB and HR: I see nothing wrong with rewarding players who are fast or strong.
zakee

Postby pibb55 » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:20 am

zakee you say u dont have a problem rewarding power hitters, then why not reward power pitchers with Ks, makes no sense to me but oh well
pibb55
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby zakee » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:21 am

Superman, that's just dumb. Players who are strong and fast should have more value because those things make them and their teams better in REALITY. W and K have little to do with how good a player is and are very corrupt stats.
zakee

Postby Xtreemes » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:22 am

Steve trachsel and al leiter won 16 and 15 games respectivly for a horrible mets team last year.
Xtreemes

Postby zakee » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:22 am

Because power hitters help their teams by hitting home runs and extra-base hits. Power pitchers don't help their teams in the same way. A strikeout is no more valuable than a groundout, but a HR is far more valuable than a single.
zakee

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers