Auction $$ Allocation - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Auction $$ Allocation

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Auction $$ Allocation

Postby Dugout Diamonds » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:32 pm

Ok, this is my 2nd yr to do an auction draft. I discovered last yr that is an entirely different animal than a snake draft. I don't think I have truly wrapped my brain around a definite strategy yet, but getting close. From reading earlier posts, I think I should be able to field a pretty good team using a 70/30 approach, with $182 for hitting, and $78 on pitching. Our budget is $260, 5x5, with 10 teams using only 21 total roster spots. With limited roster and only 10 teams, should be lots of good players at the end of the draft.

My question concerns how to allocate the $$ to the different spots, and how high to go on certain spots. I'm thinking of trying to spend 45-50 on an elite 1b and SS, 20-25 on a good 2b and 3b, 14 on my first of, 5-8 on a catcher, then using the remaining 20 or so on my last 6 spots( 1- IF, 2-OF, and 3 Util).

For pitching I was thinking about 20 each for 2 good SP's, 8 for my 3rd SP, 14 for my 1st RP, then using the remaining $16 for the last 5 spots (1-RP, and 4-P).

Give my your thoughts on this $$ strategy/allocation. I'm not sure this is even close to fielding a competitive team, having only done 1 auction in the past. The mocks I tried didn't help, as the majority of the computer picks, and even alot of the people drafters tended to jump the prices way to high during the first half of the draft for my thinking, then started drafting everyone for a $1!.
Thanks for any help.
Dugout Diamonds
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 26)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Auction $$ Allocation

Postby Dugout Diamonds » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:16 pm

Lots of views.

Draft tonight.

Any thoughts?
Dugout Diamonds
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:23 pm

I don't think you can go in with a set allocation per position. You have to play how the draft is going and get value where you can.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 382)

Postby stealthrunner » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:24 pm

70/30 is a pretty good idea, I try and do the same.
Don't punt any category, I punted saves last year because I didn't spend enough to get closer in draft and only had Ryan Franklin as a keeper, and it hurt me.
Just remember an extra dollar to win Brian Wilson as a closer might be better than some scrub you will get at $1 for your final OF. I've learned playing NL only Auction draft, those guys at $1 at the end of draft are just as good as the $2 guys and take that extra dollar to get a solid player.

But also, if you have a budget, stick to it loosely, just adjust it as you go. And remember the value is in the middle rounds. Auction drafts are a blast, everyone is in same boat as you, so don't panic.
stealthrunner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Matthias » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:27 pm

There's a long auction draft thread on this board from this year. If it's not on the first page, it's definitely in the first 5. I'd read through that for advice.

As far as split, really it depends on your league, your settings, and how you feel about players. Personally I feel like pitchers are undervalued in drafts so play a higher split than most but that's just me.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:47 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I don't think you can go in with a set allocation per position. You have to play how the draft is going and get value where you can.

This. Auctions are fluid. Allocating a certain amount towards a certain type is a recipe for danger.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Element » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:50 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I don't think you can go in with a set allocation per position. You have to play how the draft is going and get value where you can.

This. I agree with having a loose allocation between hitting and pitching, but it's a mistake to break it up by position.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 767)

Postby Dugout Diamonds » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:08 pm

Thanks guys. While reading alot of the threads, I keep seeing two things: 1) be flexible, and, 2) have a plan.
While I do think I can remember to be flexible, I seem to have a hard time grasping a good plan. That's why I allocated the $$ amts to the above bats/pitchers, and to the positions within the two. I know that I shouldn't be firm on what I spend on positions, but was just trying to see if you guys thought it was ok to allocate say, $95 for two elite type hitters, then about $45 for another two good hitters, along with approximately $45-50 for my top 2 SP and 1 closer. Is $12-14 too much too spend for one closer? I know that I will probably get about 4-6 $1 spots, between hitters and pitchers. About right?
Thanks
Dugout Diamonds
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby MTUCache » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:23 pm

Dugout Diamonds wrote:I seem to have a hard time grasping a good plan.

I think you're doing fine... the plan you've listed will likely work perfectly well. Guys here are just trying to make sure you're not cemented into that plan and won't take advantage of opportunities that may (or may not) present themselves.

For instance, say you've already spent your money on your two big-$ guys ($95). Do you just sit back and wait until you get to the guys who are going to go for $20-25? No... you stay involved. Maybe you end up getting three big-$ guys because another guy didn't sell for as much as you were willing to spend. How does that impact your plan? Obviously instead of going $$$$, $$$$, $$, $$, now you're looking at $$$$, $$$$, $$$, $. You didn't do anything necessarily wrong by going off-budget. In fact, you may have just stolen yourself a great player on the cheap. All you have to do is keep in mind that you have to take that money out of your previous plans and adjust your targets later. Maybe you've got your Pujols/Tulo combo and instead of getting Kemp/Zimmerman you got a deal on Holliday... your new target at 3B may be Reynolds instead of Bautista.

That's the kind of flexibility they're talking about. Don't laser-focus in on spending only on guys you want at the expense of guys who may be good deals.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Fenam » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:01 pm

I'd echo what everyone has said.

What I do:
-A simple spreadsheet open with the players I want by position, their projected values, money left, etc. Here's an article on my personal favorites with some minor analysis.
-Have Jason Jarvis' The Speadsheet open
-Have Rookies and Cream's MDP Report open
-Complete numerous mock drafts getting a feel for the auction draft process/pace/values
-Finally, based on my information and how the draft is doing I set a limit for how much I will bid per player nominated. I do not go over this limit.

A few other general tips:
-I am all for prince enforcing but only do it on guys you would want on your team. A lot of owners price enforce and are stuck with guys they don't really want. There really isn't any excuse for this, you are in an auction.
-Do what everyone else isn't doing. If hitters are flying off the board, focus on pitching -- and vice versa.
-If you have a friend not in the league and willing; have him/her by your side to help you keep a level head and notice bargains.
-Constantly peruse the draft history looking at the values and judging what you should pay.
-Go over the teams during the draft and strategically nominating needs on other teams.
-Nominate the other owner's favorite players!
-Use simple psychology, "Wow, you sure are running out of money." "A little short on OF aren't you?"
-Keep a "poker face". If you are lamenting how you got stuck with some guy due to price enforcing, aren't going after pitching, or discussing strategy -- you are giving away information other owners can use against you by bidding up the price.
-"Bid often, win little"
-BE PATIENT!

Most important of all is to feel comfortable going into the draft. If you get caught up in the heat of the moment due to ignorance, anxiety, or the thrill -- you are crippling your team.
Avid Twins fan.
Champion: 2009 Midwest Mayhem Fantasy Baseball
Fenam
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers