Too Much Offense? WHIR WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Too Much Offense? WHIR WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Too Much Offense? WHIR WHIR

Postby javens » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:43 pm

In a 12 team, H2H Category league using 5x5 scoring on ESPN. I had the 10th overall pick.

C Matt Wieters, Bal C 12th
1B Billy Butler, KC 1B, DH 7th
2B Brandon Phillips, Cin 2B 5th
3B Pablo Sandoval, SF 3B 11th
SS Jose Reyes, NYM SS 3rd
OF Ryan Braun, Mil OF 1st
OF Josh Hamilton, Tex OF 2nd
OF Andrew McCutchen, Pit OF 4th
UTIL Carlos Lee, Hou OF, 1B 14th
Bench Neil Walker, Pit 2B 19th
Bench Edwin Encarnacion, Tor 3B 21st

SP Cole Hamels, Phi SP 6th
SP Ted Lilly, LAD SP 9th
P Brett Anderson, Oak SP 10th
P Edinson Volquez, Cin SP 15th
P Jaime Garcia, StL SP 16th
RP Heath Bell, SD RP 8th
RP Andrew Bailey, Oak RP 13th
Bench Brandon Lyon, Hou RP 17th
Bench Javier Vazquez, Fla SP 18th
Bench Jake Peavy, CWS SP 20th
Bench Carlos Zambrano, ChC SP, RP 22nd

Clearly I focused a lot more (maybe a little bit too much) on my offense. I'm not very confident in my pitching staff, although I do think I got some guys at the end of the draft who can turn out to be contributors. Carl Pavano, Edwin Jackson, Derek Lowe, Randy Wolf, Rick Porcello and Jon Garland are all still on the FA. I was thinking about possibly swapping one of them for Peavy since he got hurt the other day.
Any feedback on my team would be much appreciated. I always help in return and always leave more than a paragraph of feedback, you just have have to leave your link. Thanks!
javens
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Too Much Offense? WHIR WHIR

Postby fangthe7th » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:34 pm

I think your OF is really strong and your IF is pretty robust. I don't know if it was necessarily a great idea to add depth to your IF (Walker and Encarnacion) instead of trying to bolster your pitching, and I don't love Carlos Lee. That being said, I think for the spot that you drafted pitchers, Cole Hamels and Ted Lilly are a great 1-2 for your team. Anderson and Peavy were good picks, but I think Volquez, Garcia, and Zambrano are okay. Bailey is injured (i think forearm strain) and no one knows when he's going to come back or if he will be effective. Having Bell and Lyon should be decent enough though.

I think you drafted a strong offense and gave yourself enough options to remain competitive in pitching. That being said, I did the exact same strategy. Hope my comments helped and you can evaluate my team: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=424511
fangthe7th
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Padres Fan » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:56 pm

I like the offense alot, would've been better if you got players that are multi positional on your bench like say Omar Infante.

Pitching looks competitive to me, but you won't win many ERA/WHIP battles

help with mine?
viewtopic.php?t=424515
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby gocards » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:02 am

I can't believe you got Braun at 10.

I usually like to go offense early and grab bargain pitchers later as hitters are easier to predict. As someone else said if you are going to have hitters on your bench they should be multi-positional guys. Otherwise looks pretty good.
gocards
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby javens » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:24 pm

I'm hoping that Niel Walker will gain 3B eligibility. Bump.
javens
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 11)

Postby phorts » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:15 pm

Yeah Braun at #10 is robbery. Your top OF is studly but i'm no fan of El Caballo at this late state, but with that offense, it's nit picking. If i were to nit pick a little further i'd say you could've probably done better at 3B than Panda, but maybe you just like guys w/ cool nicknames? Lol. I have no crystal ball and he's a pretty polarizing player this year in fantasy so keep a short leash on that guy and hawk the WW. Some guys that might be avail at 3B that could step in if the big boy flounders is David Freese STL, Mike Moustakas KC and Chris Johnson HOU. I think Pablo will outperform all these gents, but always good to have your eye on the farm when you'r enot sure if the cow can be milked... I dunno..hah.

Walker is 3B eligible in Yahoo..not in ESPN and not sure what the plans are there but i beleive he's their starting 2B and no plans to play him at 3B with Pedro there, unless he struggles, which is possible.

Pitching is obviously the weaker spot of your team, but i dont think it's terrible. I usually load up on SP and then deal if for offense during the season, but you skipped that step. Only problem is you dont have the luxury of seeing who is hitting and who's not, but thats the risk u take when you load up on highly ranked offense. So, instead of hawking the WW for Offense, you need to key in on SP's....

I would trade Big Z and/or Garcia if they even have one solid start, cuz it just wont last....too volatile (Z) and too Inexperienced (Garcia). You dont have to trade Offense to get SP as that can bite ya, just build off the WW and go from there. Maybe try to deal Panda to someone who beleives and fill in with Walker/Edwin or FA. Thats just my own bias...

SOlid team squad bro...good luck with the season!

Please help w/ mine if you get a chance:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=424748
phorts
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team