Jeter or Renteria - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jeter or Renteria

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DGroundhog » Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:28 am

I'd take Edgar. I actually think he is a couple rounds more valuable than Jeter.

Edgar isn't lasting past the 2nd round in drafts I've done. Jeter is like a 4th or 5th round pick.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:51 am

Edgar will do just about everything better than Jeter this year. Look at what he did from hitting in the 6 spot. He had a great BA with no protection, which led to RBI because Pujols, Rolen, and Edmonds get on base so much. This year, he's batting 2nd ahead of that big trio. So his BA has no reason to go down, although even if it does it will still probably be higher than Jeter's. His runs will be greatly increased as well, and from the good pitches he will see I have no doubt he can match Jeter in HR. And SB's could go either way, but I like Edgar to win that category too. I see no reason to draft Jeter ahead of Renteria unless you go by name recognition.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby wkelly91 » Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:14 am

warrick95 wrote:Renteria...more RBIs, more SBs...
Jeter...more HRs, more Rs...

In my leagues this year, Jeter has been going AFTER Renteria. I suppose this is due to his injury last year. Thus, perhaps some think he won't steal as much this year as he did in the past. Both ways, I think JETER, not Renteria is actually the better value pick this year. I don't see Renteria repeating with such a high average, though he is still definitely an elite Fantasy SS.

I agree totally. Renteria scares me. Was last year a breakout year or an abberation? Jeter is proven, in a stacked lineup, and can be had later....I vote Jeter ;-D

It seems in FB circles people get on bandwagons after one good year and also are quick to lose the love for injured players :-?
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:07 pm

I think Jeter will outperform Renteria this year. I'd still take Renteria because he seems to be going a round later. But if they were both sitting there when I was ready to take them, Jeter is the easy choice for me. Consistency. Not to mention the lineup he'll be surrounded by.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mtarail » Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:04 pm

DK wrote:Take Renteria and run for the hills.

Exactly. ;-D

A couple of points to support that argument. 1) Renteria led ALL SS's in BA last year and he's improved every year. 2) Renteria came in 2nd overall amongst ALL infielders in stolen bases behind Soriano, who beat him by ONE. 3) Jeter dislocated his shoulder sliding last year. I'm not sure that you'll see him stealing as much this year so that he can stay healthy, especially when you have all those bats around him that hit for both power and average.

I'd be happy to get Renteria at the end of the 2nd and wouldn't touch Jeter until the end of the 3rd, at the very earliest.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mikcou » Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:23 pm

Renteria by a lot. Jeter isnt going to run as much and wont hit for as high an average
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:35 pm

Well if the Renteria from 2003 shows up I'd take him in the 2nd round also. I think its more likely you will see production that is middle ground between his '01 and '03 numbers.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:40 pm

Over eight years (not counting the 15 games in '95) Jeter has only missed .300 twice.

1997 - .291
2002 - .297

I bet he's around .310 this year give or take.

Renteria has only batted .300+ three times. His rookie year and '02-'03. .330 is an abbherration. His SO totals have consistently dropped and he is a far more patient hitter now but he doesn't hit .330 again this year IMHO.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:02 pm

I drafted Rent over Jet because I am hopeing that Rent gets me 35-Pluss steals this season, and a .300AVG. would be fine also.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:14 pm

In my drafts Renteria is going MUCH earlier than Jeter. I don't think Renteria repeats his last year stats but he'll still be a great SS. If it was me, I'd take whoever you think would reach later. I'm biased as a Yankee fan and I think Jeter will be off the chart on runs this year, along with a .310-.320 avg as stated before. Renteria is a great player too though. Bottom line....you can't go wrong either way.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers