Tulo/Mauer for HanRam/CarGo deal?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Tulo/Mauer for HanRam/CarGo deal??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tulo/Mauer for HanRam/CarGo deal??

Postby Jabs » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:51 pm

So I would give Tulo/Mauer/Ibanez and receive HanRam/CarGo/Posada in return. Tulo has 2 yrs left on his contract, Mauer has 3 yrs, Ibanez was just drafted so no contract for him yet. HanRam has 3 yrs, CarGo has 2 yrs, and Posada has no contract yet. Both teams would receive 2 young superstars, and 1 aging veteran....both teams receive 5 contract years, and 1 open contract for older vet so it seems even from that standpoint. My biggest concern is the position scarcity at catcher, and giving up Mauer. However, Mauer and Tulo both seem to always have some sort of nagging injury throughout the year so is the gain in games played from HanRam and CarGo enough to offset the catcher position? Obviously Posada is not the long term answer for me at catcher, but with him at DH this year, he could have 1 more decent season. Here is my roster, and league details. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

14 teams - 5x5 (OBP, R, RBI, TB, SB --- ERA, W, K, SV, WHIP) - H2H with keepers (contracts only, no salary)

C Joe Mauer
1B Mark Teixeira
2B Dan Uggla
3B Casey McGehee
SS Troy Tulowitzki
OF Andrew McCutchen
OF Nick Markakis
OF Raul Ibanez
BN Brian Roberts
BN James Loney
BN Jhonny Peralta
BN Desmond Jennings
BN Bryce Harper

SP Cole Hamels
SP Jair Jurrjens
SP Ricky Nolasco
SP Trevor Cahill
SP Ervin Santana
SP Carl Pavano
SP Bud Norris
RP Neftali Feliz
RP Jonathon Broxton
RP Drew Storen
Jabs
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Tulo/Mauer for HanRam/CarGo deal??

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:01 pm

I'd make the deal. HanRam is the consensus #2 overall pick and should bounce back just fine this season. CarGo is a stud, of course, and an enormous upgrade over Ibanez. Posada should put up solid numbers, though not at Mauer's standards of course.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby skmo2345 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:00 pm

I would much rather have HanRam and GarGo.
skmo2345
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 20)

Postby sinicalypse » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:27 pm

I'm not the world's biggest Hanley Ramirez guy (in fact, I applaud it when he goes #2 overall, leaving me more choices from people I'd want) and I think Carlos Gonzalez has a solid shot at being at the peak of his overall value (remember when Ian Kinsler was a first round pick? Granted CarGo doesn't have that injury history or anything) but I'm thinking this deal is too good to pass up.

Speaking of injury history, there's Tulo, who's an all-world type player that will give you a 15HR september coming back from an injury to make you go WHOA! However, I think Mauer is the x-factor here... I don't know if I ever see Mauer becoming a 25HR bat again, and even tho he's had that .368/28/96 season, I don't think he'll ever approach it again. Mauer was a consensus 1st round draft pick last year, and this year I reckon he fell into rounds 3-4 or something (he was the 2nd pick of the third round in my Winners League). So if you believe in Hanley being a perennial 1st round draft pick for the next few years, along with Carlos Gonzalez, it's like you're trading one first rounder and a third rounder for two first rounders.... even tho I think Tulo is the best overall player in the deal, when you're talking two first round talents, I'd be inclined to pull the trigger on it. Mauer might shock you and hit .350 again, or maybe do a .300/20/80 year here or there, but with Ramirez and Gonzalez you've got a core of likely-first-rounders for years to come, so it's hard to say no to this deal.

It makes you suspect why the other guy is doing the deal.... Maybe he thinks Mauer will be .330/25/90 again, or maybe he thinks Tulo will stay forever healthy and pull a .320/40/120/20 out of his ass... who knows? Either way, seeing as Hanley will likely give you #2 all-around shortstop production behind a healthy Tulo, and Carlos Gonzalez has a really good chance at being a top-10 performer for years to come, yeah, I'd do this deal.

Check out mine if you'd like >> viewtopic.php?f=26&t=424347
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby onitapgr » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:41 pm

Heck yes I would do this
onitapgr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Nyger Morgan MD » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:47 pm

I would do that deal in a heart beat!
Nyger Morgan MD
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby rukus9 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:33 pm

Yeah I would make this deal. I think CarGo is overrated this year but still CarGo + Posada > Ibanez + Mauer. Also HanRam > Tulo.
League Setup:
13 Team Points League
6 Hitters 3 Pitchers (Positions don't matter)
1B = 1, 2B = 2, 3B = 3, HR = 4, RBI = 1
Win = 12, Save = 5
rukus9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions