2011 Darft analysis! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Leftovers League

2011 Darft analysis!

Moderator: rotoquest

2011 Darft analysis!

Postby TheRock » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:08 pm

Alright, have at it guys. I'll write mine up in a day or two, been busy.

1. What was your draft strategy?

2. Who do you think was the steal of the draft?

3. Who do you think was the reach of the draft?

4. Who do you think will finish in the top 3?

5. Who do you think will finish in the bottom 3?

6. The best pick that you made

7. The worst pick that you made

8. What player is the biggest key to your success?

9. Your team's weak/strong points?

New question I just made up:
If you could swap teams with anyone else, whose would you take?
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2011 Darft analysis!

Postby stoggie10 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:04 am

1. What was your draft strategy? I wanted to draft a team that would hit a lot of Homeruns but also have a decent average as that is the one category (ave) that kills me every year. Draft only a few starting pitchers as I have noticed that you can pick up several decent pitchers during the season.

I like Embolus pick of Tsuyoshi Nishioka in round 16 and My pick of B.J. Upton in round 9

David Freese in round 12 (Amazing Oopah)

This one is tough. I’ll go with RBV, Oscar’s Vandals, and Chargers. The Vandals have some coaching to do during the season with their SP but, like I mentioned before there are a plenty to choose from. I have to give myself and outside chance at top three but think I’ll struggle with K’s and wins due to lack of dom pitching.

Thomas P (why would it change…lol), Seancasey, and Beerdogs. I do think Rock has one of the weaker teams this year. Too many risk reward players. He won’t be in the bottom three though because he’ll coach em up.

I really like my Fransico Rodriguez Pick. I think he will come back to form and have 35-40 saves this year.

The worst pick I made was in Round 6 when I drafted Martin Prado. Like I mentioned before I have always struggled with average in this league and I had already draft several players that would hurt my average. I really wanted Prado as I am a Braves fan and I like the fact that he has multiple position eligibility. The problem with the pick is that I had 4 pitchers that I really wanted to be the ace of my team (Weaver, Hamels, Haren, or Gallardo). I would have been fine with either of these guys and thought that at least one of them would make it back to me in round 7. I put Prado at the top of my que and then went to practice. When I got back Weaver went one pick before me and then Hamels, Haren, Gallardo, Latos, and Johnson afterward. Really hurt my feelings and I had to settle with Cain. I have nothing against Cain but I just don’t put him in the same tier as the other pitchers that were mentioned.

If I can find enough SP on the wavier wire I think I’ll be just fine. There are usually about 5-10 guys that aren’t drafted that do very well throughout the season. Last year (Jamie Garcia, Colby Lewis, C.J. Wilson, Dallas Braden, Daniel Hudson, and R.A. Dickey to name a few). Also SS is pretty weak this year so I guess I would say Jimmy Rollins staying healthy would be a big success.

Weakinesses: SP and Average
Strenghts: Power and Saves

Probably Oscar because I would be able to coach his team to a Championship.
stoggie10
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)

Postby Old_Style » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:34 am

Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby oscar15 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:36 pm

Alright, have at it guys. I'll write mine up in a day or two, been busy.
1. What was your draft strategy? Best available for 4 to 5 rounds. Noticed was low on steals (as in 0), so I drafted a couple of starters for steals. I think I was able to do that with A. Gonzo, M. Tex, and Uggla as my first three picks and balance in the middle. A strategy I started using last year is not drafting too many SP. However, I fear I went too far this year

2. Who do you think was the steal of the draft? Ryan Dempster Rd 15 to OS. Am I missing something? He fell in my money league draft also (to me)

3. Who do you think was the reach of the draft? Brian Roberts rd 9 to Rock. You know, if was very difficult to find a reach. I'm biased because I would not touch Roberts with a 10 foot poll for two reasons: 1. I took him the 4 or 5 rd last year and he killed me. 2. I have had back surgery and I can no longer swing a bat with any authority w/o screwing my back...I doubt he plays more that 100 games...if that.

4. Who do you think will finish in the top 3? 1.Old Style - it is a daily league and he is on the computer all day. 2. Rock - Just because he is Rock. 3. Shocker - only because he used my strategy...just not as effective. :)

5. Who do you think will finish in the bottom 3? 1. Charger - ROOKIE, 2. Myself - just because I am myself. 3. Third Day - Looks pretty balanced

6. The best pick that you made. Apparently Lind.

7. The worst pick that you made. So many...Matt Joyce...At least he is not retired.

8. What player is the biggest key to your success? Uggla

9. Your team's weak/strong points? Weak - Wins, SB Strength -HR and RBI
If God does not like the way I'm living my life, he can tell me himself.
oscar15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 27)

Postby thomasps3 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:46 pm

1. What was your draft strategy? My draft strategy was to take the best possible player through the first 6 rounds, regardless of position. The way I ordered those were simply who would give me the most counting stats as well as a very floor/limited downside risk.

2. Who do you think was the steal of the draft? Tim Lincecum in the 3rd round seemed like a great pick. Jacoby Ellsbury with 54th(5th round) was also a great choice.

3. Who do you think was the reach of the draft? Michael Young in the 6th round, and Tulowitski with 1.3 overall seemed to high to me. I thought Third Day, Rock, and Oscar had great drafts.

4. Who do you think will finish in the top 3? Rock, Thomasps3, Oscar

5. Who do you think will finish in the bottom 3? Embolus, Shockers, seancasey21

6. The best pick that you made: Can't really say I made any sexy picks, but the one really solid one who could play up is Bill Hall, who moves to a great hitters park and is their starting 2b

7. The worst pick that you made. In hindsight, Chase Utley's medicals should've scared me further away!

9. Your team's weak/strong points?Strong points: Rs, HRs, Balance. Weaknesses: SVs.

If you could swap teams with anyone else, whose would you take? I would take Oscar's team. I really like his draft this year, and hopefully he has a year that doesn't get mired in injuries.
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby Old_Style » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:05 am

1. What was your draft strategy? I had no plan going into the draft. Just wing it.

2. Who do you think was the steal of the draft? I like the Lind pick. I was targeting him a couple rounds before he was taken, but kept putting him off. I thought my Dempster pick was pretty good in the 15th.

3. Who do you think was the reach of the draft? David Freese.

4. Who do you think will finish in the top 3? Myself, Shockers, Rock

5. Who do you think will finish in the bottom 3? SC21, thomas, A_O

6. The best pick that you made? Ian Kinsler in the fourth, until he goes down with another injury.

7. The worst pick that you made? Refer to question 6. :-D

8. What player is the biggest key to your success? Albert Pujols. He's pretty good, right?

9. Your team's weak/strong points? Weakness - saves Everything else seems to be in order.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby oscar15 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:15 pm

In the good ol days, we would have more participation than this. :-t
If God does not like the way I'm living my life, he can tell me himself.
oscar15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 27)

Postby RedBullVodka » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:40 pm

Similar to most years - pick the best players available in early rounds, although I really wanted to have 1B / 3B sorted in first two rounds, if possible, and then take an OF / SP. First four rounds worked out pretty nice. Not so sure after that!

I hope Andrew McCutchen comes up big this year. He could give me Crawford numbers from mid-late Round 3. The Lind pick at 153 seemed good value, which I'd pulled the trigger on him, but I needed a closer, and the closer run started after Lind, if I remember rightly.

Not a big fan of Crawford at 6, ahead of Votto, in particular. Freese in Round 12, as has been mentioned, was early. Utley looks terrible value in round 3 now, but who knows? Prado was a lot early for my tastes.

Beerdogs, Rock, Embo (hell, I'm guessing!)

Could be same three! Or Thomas, Oscar and Chargers. Or me.

As above, I'm really committed to McCutchen this year. I think he will be huge, and to get him there, I was really pleased. I also like Lester in Rd 4, and Stauffer in Rd 23

Maybe Manny, simply because I really needed another closer at that point, and a lot came off the board before I got Kimbrel, and he's no lock to close.

I need all three top 3 picks to play to potential, and Fielder to mash big time, otherwise I might be down on power / RBIs. Hill, Sizemore and Manny to have rebound seasons.

Short on saves, and maybe a power shortage, if Manny / Ortiz / Hill don't hit well. Average could be an issue, even with Ichiro. Like my SP.

Sean. Just so I could have Votto on my team.
2009 H2HWS Champion
RedBullVodka
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 44)

Postby emb0lus » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:33 pm

1. What was your draft strategy? I don't know, after surprising myself with taking Cano in the first round, I sort of just took whomever felt right. I had no intention of taking him in the first round but I don't normally do mocks and had not thought about where he was going before my turn came then realized I could not pass him up at that position with Utley hurting.

2. Who do you think was the steal of the draft? Angel Pagan by me in the 12th round. My extensive research during the draft led me to him as the only link between the past 2 champions of the Leftover's.

3. Who do you think was the reach of the draft? Jimmy Rollins in the 5th basically because I think he will suck again. I firmly believe that he was a product of the roids and he is falling apart because of it. His 2009 year looked 'decent' but on closer inspection he posted one of his lowest ops ever, that is until last year.

4. Who do you think will finish in the top 3? Me because I have Angel Pagan. OS and Beerdogs. OS will no doubt set a record in Leftover history for number of HR by one team with the drafting of the Carlos triplets.

5. Who do you think will finish in the bottom 3? I don't know but I predict seancasey will have one of the best finishes of his leftover career.

6. The best pick that you made: seriously, do you question Angel Pagan? This is a given.

7. The worst pick that you made: Not sure but after getting 3 solid SP, i think i forgot about drafting any more.

8. What player is the biggest key to your success (not including Angel Pagan)? I'd say that my old guys of Vlad/Hunter/Huff/Jeter plus hoping that Yoshi gobbles up bags like he gobbled up goombas in Mario Bros. I'm counting on a slap happy base stealer similar to Ichiro.

9. Your team's weak/strong points? Strong: Angel Pagan. Weak: getting to the pitching limit of 1300 IP.

If you could swap teams with anyone else, whose would you take? Oscars just on the off chance that it is the winning team so that he would not have won a championship and I would have.
emb0lus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Leftovers League