Punt this not that - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Punt this not that

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Punt this not that

Postby AEMRICH » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:05 pm

I was thinking about a strategy today and wanted to get some thoughts on it. I play in a 6x6 H2H league (OPS and Holds). Most typically I punt holds until the playoffs and then grab one or two guys then depending on my matchup. I tend to nab 3 closers in my draft one or 2 between rounds 10-15 and then 1 later. This year I was considering ignoring saves and grab holds late in the draft. Value wise it makes more sense to grab holds in rounds 22-24 and ignore saves instead of grabbing the closers in the rounds mentioned (instead getting bats or SP)

Am I correct in saying punt saves instead of punting holds and draft valuable pitchers and bats in the spots I would normally grab closers?
College Tuition: $12,000
Room & Board: $5,600
Books: $500
Food Plan: $2000
Not going to college and living with your parents: Priceless
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Punt this not that

Postby ichirosan » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:31 pm

In my 20 man dynasty league, after 3 years of dealing with my saves problem (seriously, my closers have ranged from Jason Isringhausen, Mike Gonzalez, Jensen Lewis, Matt Lindstrom, and the inmortal Kevin Gregg), I was decided to punt them this year.

However, I ended up drafting Fernando Rodney, and here's the reason: in a league that has holds as a cat, there's no way you can get saves from the WW. None. The guy who's going to replace a closer going down is already on someone else's roster as a holder. Meanwhile, even in a league as big a mine, you can get holds from the wire with relative ease, because, let's face it, they're pretty much a crapshoot at the beginning of the year.

So, here's what I'm going to do: I'll try to survive with Rodney and Gregg as my closers. If they falter, well, there goes the cat. If they don't, I can sell them at some point for something valuable, or continue riding them. However, a holder, unless an elite one, usually won't turn any value, because you can actually get holds from the wire. He would have to turn into a closer to get you something in return, which defeats the purpose of drafting him as a holder in the first place.
ichirosan
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baseball Leftovers