General Dynasty League Draft Question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

General Dynasty League Draft Question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

General Dynasty League Draft Question

Postby fizz » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:53 am

*My apologies if this should be in the beginner's forum*

I've been playing FBB for quite a while, but all my leagues have been redraft or small # of keepers (5 or less). I joined a brand new dynasty league, and I had a question about draft strategy in a dynasty format.

League specs: ESPN 12 team H2H, snake draft (I'm #7).

Stat categories:

Batting: R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, SLG, OBP
Pitching: K, SV, ERA, WHIP, QS, K/BB, IP (ugh)

Positions:
C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, MI, CI, LF, CF, RF, OF, UTIL, SP (3), RP (2), P (4), B (9). All players (plus a small farm system) are kept annually.

Now for my question: I'll use Justin Upton as an example to make it easier, but my question is really for all young, breakout potential players (i.e. Rasmus, maybe a Gio Gonzalez/Jhoulys Chacin type).

On ESPN, J-Upton's ranked somewhere in the low 30s, and his ADP is about 35, so there's a chance he would fall to me in the 3rd round (#31 overall). In the dynasty format, is it a mistake to reach for him (or Rasmus, or Chacin, etc) a round early? Obviously I won't do it with over the hill guys like Derek Jeter, but if I get to keep these young guys in perpetuity, does it make sense to reach for them a little bit? Or to continue with the Upton example, am I better off with a Ryan Zimmerman/Matt Kemp type of player there in the 2nd?

Sure I'm playing to win this year, but at the same time I'm trying to build a club that can compete for a number of years. And since I'd never done a dynasty league before (and there's not a whole lot of help on the interwebs), I thought it best to pick your collective brains a little bit.

As an aside, if anyone's interested in seeing/criticizing my farm, here's what I've got (6th pick overall in the snake):
(1) Mike "Moose Tacos" Moustakas (3B - KC)
(2) Wil Myers (OF - KC)
(3) Manny Machado (SS - Bal)
(4) Aaron Hicks (OF - Min)
(5) Wilmer Flores (SS - NYM)
(6) Nick Castellanos (3B - Det)
(7) EMPTY (6-round draft, filled via trade/next year's draft)

I've only got one guy (Moose) who can help in 2011, but instead of just taking a guy who can help me now, I went for potential. I trust my draft skills enough to build a competitive team for this year, but how's the farm look?
fizz
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: General Dynasty League Draft Question

Postby MaudDib » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:08 pm

It is ok to reach but I wouldn't do very often. In your example I would rather have Zimmerman (who is still fairly young) than try and get Upton. The problem with reaching for some of these guys over already established veterans is that they don't necessarily pan out. Other owners will be on the same wave length and you might be better off drafting for this year than trying to stack your lineup with future stars. A win this year is just as good as a title three years down the road and there are always future stars coming up.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 369)

Postby fizz » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:00 pm

When conducting my draft, should it make a difference that I have two 3B in my farm (one that will help in 2011), and at least one SS (Machado) who may end up being moved to 3B in the future? For example, do I "avoid" an Evan Longoria in the 1st round because I have other 3B waiting in the wings, or does it just not matter since I can theoretically start three 3B (3B, CI, UTIL), and since prospects may not pan out?

Thank you kindly for the input.
fizz
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby HybridTheory » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:10 pm

Never avoid a stud like Longoria, if your young guys pan out, they will be excellent in a Utility position, depth, or excellent trade bait.
HybridTheory
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 13)

Postby fizz » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:45 pm

HybridTheory wrote:Never avoid a stud like Longoria, if your young guys pan out, they will be excellent in a Utility position, depth, or excellent trade bait.

That's what I figured, but since I'm new to the dynasty format I wanted to bring it up. I want to go in there with as much a plan as possible.

I would've liked to have the prospect draft after the Major League draft so I could try to fill in any perceived holes in my lineup, but I can't say I'm unhappy with the prospects I have. Maybe some risk, but big upside.
fizz
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions