Trade Braun for Cruz/Hanson? WHIR! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Trade Braun for Cruz/Hanson? WHIR!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade Braun for Cruz/Hanson? WHIR!

Postby Dragonsmlb » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:14 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm in a 10 team 5x5 roto dynasty league. We keep all of our players for as long as we want them, 30 man rosters. 1250 IP limit, start 3 OF 1 UTIL.

I've been propositioned with this trade:

give: Ryan Braun and an upcoming draft pick (will go for a top 10-25 prospect)
get: Tommy Hanson and Nelson Cruz

I'm considering it because I lost Wainwright for the season and feel light on top in pitching. Hate to lose Braun's consistency in my OF though, which is my main weakness, along w/ age at 2b/3b.

C Mauer
1b Pujols
2b Utley
ss alexei ramirez
3b Alex Rodriguez
ci Miguel Cabrera
mi Neil Walker
of Ryan Braun
of Jayson Werth
of Brett Gardner
util Carlos Beltran / Jason Bay
bench Eric Young Jr
bench Bryce Harper
bench Eric Hosmer

Lincecum
Wainwright
Liriano
Brett Anderson
Trevor Cahill
Jhoulys Chacin
Edinson Volquez

Papelbon
Bell
Wilson
Hanrahan
Uehara

Would you make this trade? Consider that I could own this team for another 10 years (it's been 10 since we started!)

Thanks!
Dragonsmlb
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade Braun for Cruz/Hanson? WHIR!

Postby cs3 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:13 pm

i would take it. Braun decline in power over the past 3 years scares me, and if Cruz can stay healthy he will outproduce Braun. He already does on a rate-basis. And Cruz is only 3 years older.
hanson will be a top of the line starter for many years adn has potential to become elite.

can you help me out?
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=424238
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jcave24 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:36 pm

First off: Wow, great team.

Second: I think you should do that trade. Cruz, if he manages to stay healthy, will be a top 5 player (not just OF) this year... I had him last year and just LOVED him when he was playing. Plus, Hanson will only continue to get better, and even though your starting pitching is awesome, you would benefit from a young guy like him. Even though Braun's consistency is awesome (he still had a 25-100-100-15-.300 season in a down year last year, if I remember correctly), you have plenty of young talent at OF (Bryce Harper. 'Nuff said.)

Third: I've never played in a dynasty league, but trading away A-Rod to a Yankees fan could probably bring in some great young talent (Pedro Alvarez, perhaps?) if you can afford to lose him and still win the league. Also, Mauer may fetch more than he's worth, considering the fact that he may not be able to hit homers in that new ball park they have...

Fourth: I alluded to this earlier, but great prospects! Walker, Harper, and Hosmer are going to be studs.

Fifth: Are there teams that hate this league because they may have fallen into the doldrums after one bad draft/a few years of bad trades? I really want to start up a dynasty league but don't know if it will cause a lot of league turnover as far as owners are concerned.

This reply was very scatterbrained but I feel like most of it contributed to the topic... lol

viewtopic.php?t=424250
Please help as soon as you can, the offer is on the table with this guy!
jcave24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:51 pm

I would stick with Braun. Your staff should be fine even without Wainwright. Liriano is a great #2.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dragonsmlb » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:04 pm

cs3 wrote:i would take it. Braun decline in power over the past 3 years scares me, and if Cruz can stay healthy he will outproduce Braun. He already does on a rate-basis. And Cruz is only 3 years older.
hanson will be a top of the line starter for many years adn has potential to become elite.

can you help me out?
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=424238

So you don't buy into the stories this spring about Braun having a power resurgence, due to a different workout regimen?
Dragonsmlb
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby jcave24 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:09 pm

Even if he does, I think you're going to get better production out of Cruz/Hanson than Braun.

Personally I think Braun's season last year was flukey, because he was never the same after he got pegged in the hand (small thing, I know, but I had him and that doesn't seem like just a coincidence...) but I still think you should take the deal.
jcave24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby cs3 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:17 pm

no i dont.
i DO expect him to hit more HR than last yr, but not more than 30, and i also dont think he will ever hit 20sb again.

his ISO (power) has dropped every single year since his rookie season (.310 .268 .231 .197) and his K% has also dropped.
while a decreasing K% looks nice, in conjunction with his ISO trend its a sign that hes becoming a different kind of hitter.
more of a contact/gap hitter than a pure power guy like he was his first 2 years.
hes trending to be more like hunter pence than matt holliday

anyone want to help me analyze this draft:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=424255
Last edited by cs3 on Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Skimo77 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:30 pm

jcave24 wrote:First off: Wow, great team.

Second: I think you should do that trade. Cruz, if he manages to stay healthy, will be a top 5 player (not just OF) this year... I had him last year and just LOVED him when he was playing. Plus, Hanson will only continue to get better, and even though your starting pitching is awesome, you would benefit from a young guy like him. Even though Braun's consistency is awesome (he still had a 25-100-100-15-.300 season in a down year last year, if I remember correctly), you have plenty of young talent at OF (Bryce Harper. 'Nuff said.)

Third: I've never played in a dynasty league, but trading away A-Rod to a Yankees fan could probably bring in some great young talent (Pedro Alvarez, perhaps?) if you can afford to lose him and still win the league. Also, Mauer may fetch more than he's worth, considering the fact that he may not be able to hit homers in that new ball park they have...

Fourth: I alluded to this earlier, but great prospects! Walker, Harper, and Hosmer are going to be studs.

Fifth: Are there teams that hate this league because they may have fallen into the doldrums after one bad draft/a few years of bad trades? I really want to start up a dynasty league but don't know if it will cause a lot of league turnover as far as owners are concerned.

This reply was very scatterbrained but I feel like most of it contributed to the topic... lol

viewtopic.php?t=424250
Please help as soon as you can, the offer is on the table with this guy!

Cruz being a top 5 overall this year? Common, no way! Last year he hit a career high in RBI's at 78! He's 31, so he's not gonna all of a sudden explode or anything. Braun will hit 25+ more RBI's with a few more homers and SB's. I'd stick with Braun, you're team seems pretty solid so far and taking out Braun could severely mess your OF up... Werth is overrated, Gardner only gives you SB's, Beltran is a major injury risk, and Bay ... is decent but scary.
Skimo77
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 31)

Postby Dragonsmlb » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:24 pm

cs3 wrote:no i dont.
i DO expect him to hit more HR than last yr, but not more than 30, and i also dont think he will ever hit 20sb again.

his ISO (power) has dropped every single year since his rookie season (.310 .268 .231 .197) and his K% has also dropped.
while a decreasing K% looks nice, in conjunction with his ISO trend its a sign that hes becoming a different kind of hitter.
more of a contact/gap hitter than a pure power guy like he was his first 2 years.
hes trending to be more like hunter pence than matt holliday

anyone want to help me analyze this draft:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=424255

This trend is the reason why I'm considering the trade. I still remember the first year when I added Braun midseason and enjoyed that power.. But this is such a steady downward trend that it is really hard to ignore!

My pitching staff was a bit of a lability last year. Power hitting as well. I lost the championship for the first time in 6 years to a team that hit on all cylinders (crawford, hamilton, cargo, tulo, ichiro, Phillips, Stanton, etc. Lester, sabathia, buchholz, greinke, others). So I'm feeling antsy for moves/ improvement, since a lot of my team is aging (Beltran, bay, arod, utley).

I hear mostly "yes"es. Do you guys really think Hanson could be a top 10 sp? Espn has him at #8, before verlander!?
Dragonsmlb
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Skimo77 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:33 pm

If you trade Braun this year, you'll be sorry.
Skimo77
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 31)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions