Hellickson and Chacin - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hellickson and Chacin

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hellickson and Chacin

Postby cs3 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:30 am

these 2 guys both have great potential but who would you rather have for 2011?

also who do you think has a better fantasy season, hellboy, or the guy he replaced in tampa's rotation, Garza?
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hellickson and Chacin

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:00 am

I think Hellboy ends up being the better pitcher, but Chacin is a safer bet for 2011, IMO.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby J.C.Fighter » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:16 am

bigh0rt wrote:I think Hellboy ends up being the better pitcher, but Chacin is a safer bet for 2011, IMO.

How safe is he really? high walks, hight ld% , only 2nd year in the lg....i fail to see how chacin is such a slam dunk this season...
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby HesterMofet » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:53 am

Nobody says Chacin's a slam dunk. There's plenty of risk in a kid like him, but he's got the stuff & 100 more big league innings under his belt than Hellboy does.

I think Hellickson ends up the better pitcher down the road, but I think Chacin is the safer bet for 2011.
HesterMofet
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Inukchuk » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:58 am

I think Hellickson will be better in the future, but Chacin seems to be a smarter option in 2011.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:26 am

J.C.Fighter wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:I think Hellboy ends up being the better pitcher, but Chacin is a safer bet for 2011, IMO.

How safe is he really? high walks, hight ld% , only 2nd year in the lg....i fail to see how chacin is such a slam dunk this season...

He isn't a slam dunk, but nobody said he was. He pitched 100 good innings last year, though, which makes him a safer bet than Hellickson in my eyes, who I still think will eventually be better than Chacin.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:52 pm

I don't see how Chacin is a safer bet. Hellickson was better in AA, AAA, and MLB. He was absolutely dominant in AAA, actually. I say this without having watched them pitch much, but Hellickson's stats are a lot more encouraging.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:03 pm

Neither one is even a top 40 starting pitcher according to yahoo ADPs so nobody did, or should, use the phrase "slam dunk." I'd be more than satisfied with either as my #4 or 5 starter for 2 dollars in an auction, but Hellickson is a little more hyped in spite of having less of an MLB track record so I'm seeing his price creep up more than Chacin's. I'll take both, but I think I'm more likely to get Jhoulys cheaper.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby HesterMofet » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:49 pm

Skin Blues wrote:I don't see how Chacin is a safer bet. Hellickson was better in AA, AAA, and MLB. He was absolutely dominant in AAA, actually. I say this without having watched them pitch much, but Hellickson's stats are a lot more encouraging.

He's been nasty ever since being drafted, that's for sure. But you have to expect an adjustment period at some point. Brian Matusz was un-hittable in the minors as well and was smacked around all last season -- I wouldn't expect that from Hellboy but you just never know with such a young guy and such a small big league sample size.

Chacin, on the other hand, doesn't have the dominating numbers in the minors but the raw stuff is still there and he's shown what he can do with it in the big leagues. That's why I like him just a touch better in '11....long term though, Hellickson is certainly more intriguing since he looks to be a legit ace in the making.
HesterMofet
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby cs3 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:58 pm

bigh0rt wrote:He isn't a slam dunk, but nobody said he was. He pitched 100 good innings last year, though, which makes him a safer bet than Hellickson in my eyes, who I still think will eventually be better than Chacin.

this is pretty much my thinking.
i would expect Chacin to throw more innings this year and probably have better counting stats, but Helly may have better rate stats (k/9, K/BB and WHIP for sure).
It sucksgetting to the playoffs in H2H, and then when you need your SP's the most, the young guys often get skipped in the rotation to limit innings, or are only left in for 5-6 innings regardless of how well theyre doing.
so in that regard I do think Chacin is safer, as last yr in his last 9 starts he went at least 7 full innings 5 times, threw 100+pitches 7 times, and even threw 120 pitches on his second to last start of the season.
Last edited by cs3 on Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers