PRADO or UTLEY at MI Keeper (WHIR) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

PRADO or UTLEY at MI Keeper (WHIR)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

PRADO or UTLEY at MI Keeper (WHIR)

Postby emenewe5 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:37 pm

LEAGUE: Deep and very competitive points league. Unique keeper rules allow (1 keeper each at CI, MI, OF, UTI, SP, RP).

I have had Utley for years and won 3 league titles with him but terrified he's going to miss a huge amount of time this year.

Questions:

1) Am I justified to be so scared of Utley?
2) I just made a trade to land Prado who will be eligible at 1B/2B/3B/(and OF after 3 games). In our points format (with CBS) he's projected right behind Utley. He's also 4-5 years younger than Utley. Do I keep him instead?! (leaning towards it).

Thanks!
emenewe5
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: PRADO or UTLEY at MI Keeper (WHIR)

Postby eaglesfan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:07 pm

Keeping Utley is a risk...no doubt. For me personally I'd take the risk because I'm a homer ;-) . Huge IF I know, but if Utley plays say 135-140 games I still think he outproduces Prado rather easily...just my opinion. Now down the line that's a different story. Based on age and health Prado does look more enticing. If your able to take a risk(solid at other positions) I'd take the gamble. I think Utley will miss time at the beginning of the year but will be fine after that.

Who are you keeping at CI?
eaglesfan
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby emenewe5 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:14 pm

Ha...just noticed you're a PHI fan. Glad to have some "inside info". What's the latest word in Phillie Nation?!

I'm pretty solid at keeper, I think (CI - Zimmerman, MI - Reyes, OF - Holliday, SP - C.C. and RP - Soria). Right now, the question is for my UTI keeper. Prado could patrol any of 4 positions for me. Utley gives me a huge risk/reward combo with Reyes. The rest of my roster doesn't offer much in the way of keeper options (Pedro Alvarez would be next in line). This group of keepers has been my core for years.

If I thought I'd get 140 games from Utley, I'd keep him probably. But, is he going to be this year's Brandon Webb? I mean, he was going to just start the season on the DL and ended-up killing those that took a chance on him.
emenewe5
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BigLebowski » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:23 pm

Even if Utley is out for the year I'd keep him over Prado. However you stated with your scoring system Prado is 2nd? Seems odd to me, but I think I'd still take Utley over Prado. Try not to over-analyze this stuff to early in the year. Utley is far and away the better player, and I just don't see what people love about Prado. I actually have Prado in my 16 team dynasty league and have been trying to trade for an upgrade and nobody will touch him.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 467)

Postby emenewe5 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:36 pm

Based on projections, Utley is #4 and Prado #5 in our league.

And yes, I tend to over-analyze everything...lol.
emenewe5
College Coach
College Coach

Postby down.by.law » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:47 pm

It is a Definate Utley will be missing signifigant time this year. I listen to Philly sports radio a lot, and nothing I've heard looks good. The other day he was taking ground balls in a chair and putting them in a basket. IN A CHAIR!!! Believe me, keeping Uggla over Utley was the hardest thing I've had to do in fantasy - but it's time...

:,-(
"He's Pressing Right Now And Just Needs To Find His Stroke"
-Wheels
down.by.law
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 8)

Postby emenewe5 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:54 pm

Yeah, I think it might be time too....sadly. Utley's been a keeper for at least 5 years on every team I have. :,-(
emenewe5
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Dennismenis3 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:58 pm

Utley has more upside if he is healthy. However, I don't trust he will be healthy enough to be an impact player. I would rather have Prado on my roster even though his stats are a little lesser than Utley's prime year stats.
Dennismenis3
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 4)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions