10-team schedule ideas - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

10-team schedule ideas

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

10-team schedule ideas

Postby dhibbit@gmail.com » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:39 am

10-team, h2h, keeper league entering it's 4th year. 6 teams make playoffs

We currently have it setup for 20wk reg season + 4 weeks for playoffs (2 weeks for final)

However, this means you play two teams 3x, the last three years, it's been the same two teams, but we're sick of that.

So, what's the best option:

Simply rotate the two teams you play 3x so that there's no inherent unfairness at the start of the year?

Specify which teams people play 3x based on seeding (#1 plays #2 and #3, #5 plays #4 and #6, etc)

Cut two weeks out of the regular season (so you never play anyone 3x) and extend all 3 playoff rounds to two weeks

Or go to two 5-team divisions, if we played everyone in the division 3x and everyone out of it 2x, that would put us as 22 weeks. Total of 26 - too long. We could cut a week by getting rid of the first round of the playoffs (only taking 4 teams instead of 6) or cutting the final to a single week - or both, to get back to 24 weeks.

So, has anyone had experience with divisions in 10-team leagues or had any success going to a 25-week schedule?
dhibbit@gmail.com
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 10-team schedule ideas

Postby bigmck » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:08 pm

Two divisions of five teams each. Play your own division three times each for 12 weeks. Play the other division once for a five weeks. This gives you a 17 week regular season. You have three rounds of playoffs with each round lasting two weeks. This takes care of 23 weeks. Two week playoffs are much better. They give you a true winner. One week can have a lot of upsets. If you want me to make a schedule for you, send me the names of the teams for each division. bigmck@sbcglobal.net Thanks,
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby dhibbit@gmail.com » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:11 pm

Thanks,

But I think I would prefer just playing everyone 2x and having an 18-wk season (+6 wks of postseason) rather than the method you mentioned, but I'm glad you brought it up b/c we hadn't thought about it yet. I'll make sure to bring it up at the next clan meeting!
dhibbit@gmail.com
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby bigmck » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:43 pm

If you are having everyone play each other twice, there would be no need to have divisions. Just have one league of ten teams. Divisions should only be used when you are playing teams in your division more than other teams.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby johnchezy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:16 pm

If you create a custom schedule, you can have multiple matchups per scoring period and you can manipulate the schedule anyway you like.

For example: Team 1 & 2 could play twice this week (head to head plus another opponent) while the other 8 teams play 1 game each. The next week team 3 & 4 play twice while everyone else plays once, etc.

Or all 10 teams play twice. Or anything in between. You can get pretty crazy with it and make whatever schedule you want.

What we've done for the last few years is 44 games per season (22 weeks)
You play your division 6 x each (6 games x 4 teams = 24 games) and the opposing division teams 4 times each (4 games x 5 teams = 20 games).
johnchezy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 2)

Return to Commissioner's Corner