Formula for calculating value of stats - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Formula for calculating value of stats

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Formula for calculating value of stats

Postby silentjim » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:28 am

If I'm reading your question right, just use a Z score formula. It's what sites like baseballmonster.com and Ziguana use to compare stats relatively. If you pay for baseballmonster.com you can enter your own projections in I think, but Z score formulas can be done in excel if you have the time and don't want to pay.
Last edited by silentjim on Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
silentjim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Basketball Mod
(Past Year: 76)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby pjs1856 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:52 am

Thanks for the site i'll take a look.

And sorry I mis spoke - while I understand its easier to find steals later then it would other cats - i'm trying to just get a formula that would account as best as possible for the variance of value between each category. it may not be doable in excel without spending 2 days on it.
pjs1856
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby silentjim » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:57 am

Here's a good thread on the basketball side that has some baseball links in it as well. It's not as complicated as you think, but it does take some excel know how:

Calculating Values
silentjim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Basketball Mod
(Past Year: 76)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby kab21 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:37 pm

pjs1856 wrote:That's part of the problem. I'm trying to find something that evens everything out . I know for my league I will need about 270 HR, 1100 R, 185 SB and around 1050 RBi - the problem is coming up with a formula that adds all those into a value. Actually the bigger problem is the %. I figured someone had something they could help with since this seems to be a great site for knowledge.

I'm not really sure what the hard part is. Pick any of the stats as your numerator and then use the 4 stats in the denominator. This will give you 4 ratios that you can use in an equation.

This gives you the following numbers HR - 4, SB - 6, R - 1.05 and RBI - 1

Your equation is incredibly simplye

Value = HRx4 + SBx6 + Rx1.05 + RBIx1

Juan Pierre = 560
Albert Pujols = 497

I have gone as far as making an equation for BA (and it works) but I'll have to find the old spreadsheet that I used to remember it. But I haven't spent much time working on this because I find it to be of little value.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 166)

Postby pjs1856 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:42 pm

silentjim wrote:Here's a good thread on the basketball side that has some baseball links in it as well. It's not as complicated as you think, but it does take some excel know how:

Calculating Values

Thanks all for the look at this! I appreciate the help and I think this log from the bball one will probalby give me what i'm looking for.
pjs1856
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby rotoquest » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:31 pm

I have used the following hitting formula for 6 years and it seems to work well. I averaged fangraphs, mine & J35J projections this year and I like the results. For hitting categories, take your projections and use this formula.

(BA x 333)+(HR x 3.33)+(RBI)+(RUNS)+(SB x 2.5)

It uses a baseline that every category is 100 points. So 30 HR is 100 pts, and 40 SB is 100pts, etc.
If you use less than 40 for SB, then the rankings come out with too much emphasis on speed.
From the previous example above:
Pujols comes out to be 511

Pierre comes out to be 354
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 194)

Postby pjs1856 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:28 pm

rotoquest wrote:I have used the following hitting formula for 6 years and it seems to work well. I averaged fangraphs, mine & J35J projections this year and I like the results. For hitting categories, take your projections and use this formula.

(BA x 333)+(HR x 3.33)+(RBI)+(RUNS)+(SB x 2.5)

It uses a baseline that every category is 100 points. So 30 HR is 100 pts, and 40 SB is 100pts, etc.
If you use less than 40 for SB, then the rankings come out with too much emphasis on speed.
From the previous example above:
Pujols comes out to be 511

Pierre comes out to be 354

Thanks! that's almost exactly what i'm looking for. Have a formula for pitching as well? :D
pjs1856
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby TheRock » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:12 pm

Interesting read. Not a bad formula, I've tried it. linky
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)