Formula for calculating value of stats - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Formula for calculating value of stats

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Formula for calculating value of stats

Postby pjs1856 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:49 am

Hola all!

I have been playing with excel trying to make a formula that will rate players based on the projections I have. (5x5 15 team, AVE HR RBI R SB x K W WHIP ERA and SV + CG). its more for the lower level folks.

I've seen a few on here but it was from 2005 and couldn't find an update. Anyone have a formula they care to share to help out? Looking for something that I can plug in their projected HR/SB etc and it gives me a number value of say X that i can compare to others. Thanks all!
pjs1856
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Formula for calculating value of stats

Postby Element » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:28 am

You mean this one for 2005? I still use it!

viewtopic.php?t=92352
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)

Postby pjs1856 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:32 am

Element wrote:You mean this one for 2005? I still use it!

viewtopic.php?t=92352

Actually no - sorry just looked -t here is another one that has a formula that involves multiplying items together - it didn't account for AB/INN variance though. i'm trying to find the post but lost it and well it was 2005....

Would you still use this for a Roto snake draft? (the one you quoted)? I'm switching from H2H shallow (10 team) to the 15 team roto so i'm trying to figure the best way to account for this.
pjs1856
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:46 am

Just put your projections into lastplayerpicked.com. Since you have SV + CG as a category you'll have to manually create a column for that stat and simply use a header for saves.

If your league requires daily lineup changes and no GP limit then you'll want to add a couple UT spots since people will be cycling in their bench players on off days for their regulars, and probably add another pitching spot or two. You'll find that with the added utility spots, positional scarcity is eliminated for every position except catcher.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby Element » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:54 am

pjs1856 wrote:
Element wrote:You mean this one for 2005? I still use it!

viewtopic.php?t=92352

Actually no - sorry just looked -t here is another one that has a formula that involves multiplying items together - it didn't account for AB/INN variance though. i'm trying to find the post but lost it and well it was 2005....

Would you still use this for a Roto snake draft? (the one you quoted)? I'm switching from H2H shallow (10 team) to the 15 team roto so i'm trying to figure the best way to account for this.

the dollar value just create a ranking. so it's universal. I would try skin blue's suggestion first though.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)

Postby pjs1856 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:55 am

Thanks! I will check that out.

I found the formula - its under the Header of "Absolute Values of stats..." anyone have any luck with this or does it not work well enough?

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=99864
pjs1856
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby pjs1856 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:00 am

Only problem w/ LPP is that it calculates for auction not for snake...
pjs1856
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby kab21 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:51 am

pjs1856 wrote:Only problem w/ LPP is that it calculates for auction not for snake...

Can you use the auction dollars to create a ranking? :-?

I used to do this but I found that different stats have different costs to acquire. SB's for example are much cheaper for example than HR's even though the math works out to something like 1 SB = 1 HR. So if you followed your rankings you would end up winning SB's by a mile and struggling a lot in HR's/RBI's.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby pjs1856 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:05 am

That's part of the problem. I'm trying to find something that evens everything out . I know for my league I will need about 270 HR, 1100 R, 185 SB and around 1050 RBi - the problem is coming up with a formula that adds all those into a value. Actually the bigger problem is the %. I figured someone had something they could help with since this seems to be a great site for knowledge.
pjs1856
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby kab21 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:17 am

that's not the problem. it's incredibly easy to come up with a formula for that and you include BA (although my method was imperfect). The problem is that you can easily acquire the SB's needed for that category in rds 10-20 at a relatively low cost compared to how much HR's cost.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers