NCAA tourney - nothing but luck because your team lost - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

NCAA tourney - nothing but luck because your team lost

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

NCAA tourney - nothing but luck because your team lost

Postby jfg » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:23 pm

All the teams I liked before the seedings were announced seem to have a roadblock along the way. However, while Belmont is the trendy upset pick, I like Wisconsin a lot. I don't think Belmont is a tough matchup and Wisconsin doesn't have problems turning over the ball which is usually the achilles heel of teams who exit early. After Belmont you're looking at Utah St./Kansas St. and then Pitt who Wisconsin matches up really well against.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 96)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: NCAA tourney- who do you like?

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:27 pm

Rock Chalk Jayhawk to win it
as jfg mentioned i could see Wisconson making an elite 8 run...
i like UCONN to make a deep run as well
look for Temple to upset San Diego St in Rd 2
Rd 1 upset special...Oakland over Texas
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:10 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:Rock Chalk Jayhawk to win it
as jfg mentioned i could see Wisconson making an elite 8 run...
i like UCONN to make a deep run as well
look for Temple to upset San Diego St in Rd 2
Rd 1 upset special...Oakland over Texas

With there being no 'real' power teams this year, Kansas is probably my pick right now, too. This is the most wide open I can recall the tournament being.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby jfg » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:14 pm

I couldn't pull the trigger on a Temple upset because that's one that could haunt you. Fisher is a good coach and Temple isn't that good of a team. Good enough to get past PSU though.

If Kyrie Irving comes back even at 75% I think Duke runs away with it.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:56 pm

I think Gonzaga might make another run this year. They match up well against St. John's in the first round, then will probably play a BYU team that just isn't that impressive without Davies in the second round and none of their possible third round opponents strike me as particularly daunting: Michigan St. shouldn't be in the tournament, Florida should be a 4 seed rather than a 2, and UCLA is really only here because the weak Pac-10 needed a little representation.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:10 am

I'm really not a fan of Wisco. I saw them play here in Crisler against Michigan and they just don't resemble a team that can beat anyone that's particularly good (save for one good game against OSU). They play the epitome of big 10 possession style basketball, which works well against other big 10 teams, but that's about all it works well against. If they play an athletic team, I think they're done.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby perlick29 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:12 am

jfg wrote:I couldn't pull the trigger on a Temple upset because that's one that could haunt you. Fisher is a good coach and Temple isn't that good of a team. Good enough to get past PSU though.

If Kyrie Irving comes back even at 75% I think Duke runs away with it.

You're dead to me. I like Temple's chances to beat SDSU this year, but what do I know I've only watched all of the Owls' games.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jfg » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:20 am

Big 10 style basketball always gets picked apart before the tourney but they always do well. I think I remember 1 or 2 bad years for the conference, other than that they always seem to get a few teams into the sweet 16. Michigan St. might not belong in the tournament but I think they will win at least a game.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Phatferd » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:26 am

jfg wrote:Big 10 style basketball always gets picked apart before the tourney but they always do well. I think I remember 1 or 2 bad years for the conference, other than that they always seem to get a few teams into the sweet 16. Michigan St. might not belong in the tournament but I think they will win at least a game.

I think Michigan St. can make a run to the final four (unlikely) but they have the easiest road of any team in my humbled opinion. UCLA is a joke, I'm in SoCal and I see them all the time. The Pac10 is down this year, I'll be the first to admit it. Florida is overrated and I can see Michigan St. beating them then they have some average level competition (compared to the field at large) to the Final Four. Also, Izzo may be the best coach in the tournament and always finds ways to make some noise when it counts.

I really like the chalk this year. I like Kentucky over Ohio State. Notre Dame looks good and I think will make it to the championship game. Duke with a healthy Irving might be the favorite. I like UCONN a lot, but I don't know if they can make another run on top of their Big East tournament run.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigken117 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:01 am

I have Kansas beating NC with BYU and Duke rounding out my Final Four. I've watched maybe 10 minutes of college hoops this season and did no research.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 251)

Next

Return to General Talk