Good "entry level" watch? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Good "entry level" watch?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Good "entry level" watch?

Postby bigken117 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:36 pm

When you are in a job interview, you should be judged by your appearance. I interviewed a guy a few weeks ago, dressed like a slob, wore a hat, his iPhone rang during the interview ... I thought he'd do alright at the job, but those impressions he left made me not want to hire him. I did not once look to see what kind of watch he had.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ayebatter » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:48 pm

bigken117 wrote:When you are in a job interview, you should be judged by your appearance. I interviewed a guy a few weeks ago, dressed like a slob, wore a hat, his iPhone rang during the interview ... I thought he'd do alright at the job, but those impressions he left made me not want to hire him. I did not once look to see what kind of watch he had.

So you didn't need to go to the watch tie breaker, those are easy decisions. :-b
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1284)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:11 pm

bigken117 wrote:When you are in a job interview, you should be judged by your appearance.

I think appearance is a consideration, but the importance of which depends on context. I wouldn't mind hiring a software engineer who dresses like an emo kid because simply, we don't have a dress code. As long as they perform well in the interview exams and their skills/attitude are a match, they're as good as in. Now, if he was applying to be a biz dev manager, I might care more about dress and appearance, since he'll have to reach out to potential customers and any impressions of him reflects us as a firm.... and no, what kind of watch he wears isn't a criterion. :-b

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby dAnzac » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:09 am

Snootiest. Thread. Ever.
Cafe bets 2010:
W/j24jags - Oakland A's more wins then NYM
W/mweir145 - Oakland A's more wins then TOR (hat-trick?)
dAnzac
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:01 am

ayebatter wrote:
ayebatter wrote:If you want a nice watch under $200 look for an Invicta, I own about 20 watches of various pricing and styling, and find I wear my Invicta as much as any other.

This, Invicta under $200. ;-D

This is what I said earlier, too (IIRC). I have five Invicta watches that I wear to work regularly depending on what I'm wearing and $200 was probably as expensive as they got. I get a lot of compliments on them. I go with the Lupah ones in different colors since I have a relatively informal work environment now, but even their more dressy watches look real sharp.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:57 am

$15 waterproof Casio with glow-in-the-dark hands up in here.

Yeahhh rude boy

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby dans2 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:59 pm

dAnzac wrote:Snootiest. Thread. Ever.

Snootiest. World*. Ever. It's not my fault, that that's how it is. And to whomever mentioned the tech jobs and biz dev job, yes I agree, but it's a job where I'll have to deal with people, so appearance does matter.
dans2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thedude » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:24 pm

Do you want quartz or automatic? That is probably the first question you should ask yourself, and that is a good way to narrow down the choices. Then think about what you want from the watch (accuracy, size, sapphire, ect...).
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:52 am

I once asked a client of the most expensive lawyer in toronto what he liked about his lawyer and one of the things that he mentioned was that he liked the fact that he wore a Timex Ironman. That's the watch that I've always worn, I've since upgraded to the Atlantis. I have a stainless steel birks watch that's so heavy I can't lift my arm that I wear once a year at formal occasions and a gps watch that is nice enough to wear to work but the timex is my everyday watch and they last about ten years.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby bigken117 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:54 pm

up to 90% off some Invicta's at Amazon :-S

linky

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk