Good "entry level" watch? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Good "entry level" watch?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Good "entry level" watch?

Postby dans2 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:57 pm

I just graduated from college, and accepted my first job (business). I'll be working in an office, and want a watch (my first watch)... I want something quality, but not pretentious ( a rolex on a college grad makes them seem spoiled or like a materialistic douche... in my opinion)... So for someone not familiar with watches what is a good watch for an entry level male. I'd prefer to spend under $650, so any ideas.
dans2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Good "entry level" watch?

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:10 pm

I inherited a Rolex when I was in college. Never got the rub about being spoiled on my first few jobs. (On a side note, it's actually a good thing for employers to view you as wealthy because then they think you won't be totally subservient to them like say, a working or middle class lad trying to pull his weight, and will think of you more as equals.)

Anyhow, it depends on what you want. If you like something that looks classy to be wearing a suit all day, you'll want a Rolex lookalike watch (Seiko makes a few for say, $120-160 methinks). If you like something more practical, you might like something like a Victorinox Swiss Army watch. I have this and a Nike sports watch I bought oh, 4 years ago, and they're the watches I use most of the time. Rolex is for the special occasions.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby jfg » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:15 pm

I'm not a watch person at all but my wife's family is and they always go with Citizen or so my wife tells me.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby bigken117 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:06 pm

I was in BJ's wholesale club this weekend and they had a nice $1000+ Tag Hauer for $550. If I needed to spend a ridiculous amount of money to know what time it was, that is the brand I would likely invest in.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby ayebatter » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:44 pm

If you want a nice watch under $200 look for an Invicta, I own about 20 watches of various pricing and styling, and find I wear my Invicta as much as any other.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:46 am

I wear an Emporio Armani watch with a white face which I bought for about $450 and a Seiko with a black face that was around $320. both very high quality (in my opinion). I've had the Seiko for about 7 years now and the face is very scratch resistant. still looks very new. I like them both quite a bit and can't see myself feeling the need for a new watch for quite a while.

armani watch

seiko watch

I prefer a simple clean look without all the dials adn fancy shmancy stuff on it... but, to each their own.

strangely, the white one gets an inordinate amount of compliments... never really understood why it gets more attention than the other one..
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:48 am

For business, I'd go with a Seiko watch as a 'starter' watch. The past few years I've been more privy to the Invicta Lupah series, since I'm in a less formal setting and they're pretty inexpensive and customizable with what I'm wearing. For what you're looking for, though, Seiko is a good place to look.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 347)

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:04 am

I don't live in a watch world and find everything in this thread ludicrous.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tavish » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:38 pm

bigken117 wrote:I was in BJ's wholesale club this weekend

;-D

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:40 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:I don't live in a watch world and find everything in this thread ludicrous.

You haven't lived until you've judged and been judged based on the time piece you wear on your wrist.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 347)

Next

Return to General Talk