Which closers to target on the cheap/trade? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Which closers to target on the cheap/trade? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which closers to target on the cheap/trade? WHIR

Postby sinicalypse » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:28 pm

Alright, my 5 autopick leagues have drafted and for the most part I've got dominant SP, pretty quality offense, and an absolute dearth of closing. Literally, a fluke in the autodrafting rankings I put out had my pre-draft rankings churn out jeremy hellickson and/or carlos zambrano as one of my two RP slots, one league had 0 closers, the others all had 1-2, though that 1 was usually andrew bailey. oh yeah.

I've got the obligatory first-chance-waiver-claims in for brandon league, brian fuentes, matt capps, and mike lowe (the guy who hopefully figures to be the rangers closer if/when neftali feliz goes to the rotation) and i've made some moves... in teh 0 closer league i traded hellickson for craig kimbrel, but i've also offered buchholz and ian stewart for pedro alvarez and venters (in that league i've got felix hernandez, jon lester, tommy hanson, mat latos, and ricky romero and carlos zambrano (who i'm quite bullish on) in addition to hellickson and buchholz) and in one of the other leagues i've managed to get valverde for hellickson, a trade i've offered up in just about every other league because i ended up with hellickson in all 5.

basically, all of my leagues are basically felix hernandez, david price, tommy hanson/mat latos (i have both of htem in 2/5 leagues), matt cain/ricky romero (tho usually cain), and hellickson and zambrano in all leagues... in the last league i somehow ended up with halladay in place of felix, and both lester and david price and tommy hanson matt cain zambrano and hellickson...)

so what i'm getting at is basically barring some sort of anti-miracle i've got the best SP in all of these leagues, and i'm sitting on 7-8 SP in each league... considering there's a 1400 IP limit, i'm going to have to deal some of these guys. thus far hellickson has been the sacrifical lamb since he's a 5th starter and right now he's a tantalizing name that has fetched me between kimbrel and valverde,

in all but one of these leagues i've got miguel cabrera and adam dunn and vlad... and in every league i'm in i have at least 2, if not 3, of the juan pierre brett gardner and rajai davis threesome. i've got SBs locked down.

so basically, which of the aforementioned SPs would you dangle and what closers would you go for? i've targeted valverde because he's been solid for the last ~5 years... obviously my wet dream would be joakim soria, and i'd consider trading lester for it... cuz he's going to have more wins than david price, who is my other #2 starter du jour, but david price was more consistent than lester is annually, even tho their overall end-of-season #s seem the same. otherwise, as i said, i've got 3-4 waiver claims just waiting for the initial waiver period to strike, but it seemed that in these leagues i ended up with the #3 or #4 draft slot, thus giving me miguel cabrera and felix hernandez in rounds 1 and 2, so i'm #9 overall. i've tentatively put league ahead of fuentes, although maybe i should switch that cuz the footage of bailey injuring didn't look good.

oh, i've also got chris sale in ~4/5 leagues just in case ozzie does the smart thing and names him the closer. matt thornton maximizes his value being a wildcard in innings 6-9 to put out fires, even tho he came out after sale's 3 ER inning yesterday and said that the kid is not sandy kew-fac =D

if you read through this dredge, drop me a link to yours and i'll talk way too much in getting analytical with ye olde fantasy issue.

holllaaaaa

(btw, in a league where you're slated to have freedie freeman @ 1B and neil walker / edwin encarnacion @ 3rd base, if you had 2 for-sure closers would you trade mike stanton and john axford for adam dunn and spare change (alex gordon?) i think i could get him into brignac, seeing as my SS situation is weak... but per usual, i've got the ungodly SP barely enough relievers and this is the one league were offense is lacking.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions