Draft Advice - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Draft Advice

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Draft Advice

Postby kesaber » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:34 pm

In a few days I'm going to draft a team in a 10 team H2H league with 10 hitting and 10 pitching categories.

R, H, HR, RBI, SB, IBB, K, GIDP, AVG, XBH

W, L, CG, S, BB, K, GIDP, HLD, ERA WHIP, with a minimum of 50 innings pitched required

This is my first year drafting a team, so I wanted to know if you guys could tell me what you think of my draft strategy.

Round 1-5 I'll draft hitter. 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, and probably catcher. For rounds 6-10 I would draft closers, possibly drafting OFs if another good closer is far away. Then I'll draft the rest. My strategy is to focus on hitters, then closers, and I'm not worried about SPs. The reason is it seems pitching categories favor closers. With enough closers on my team I should win: L, S, BB, HLD, ERA, and WHIP. That's six out of the 10 categories. There are no max acquisitions in the league, so my plan to get the 50 innings was pick up a different SP every day depending on who they were matched up against.
Do you guys think this is a workable strategy? Why not if you don't think so, or is there anything you think I should change to improve my draft?

Thanks,
WHIR
10 team H2H.

Offense:

Pitching:

W, L, CG, SV, BB, K, GIDP, HLD, ERA, WHIP - with a minimum of 50 innings played

C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, IF, LF, CF, RF, OF, Util, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, RP, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN
kesaber
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Draft Advice

Postby dhibbit@gmail.com » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:37 pm

That sounds like a bad idea.

You need 50 innings, which is a ton of opp to get plenty of Ls, so forget that as a guaranteed stat.

You're also going to lose W and CG and K.

ERA and WHIP isn't guaranteed with a roster of closers.

Honestly, even if this was a good strategy, closers aren't going to be drafted til 9+, and when you grab one 3-4 other will, meaning you're not going to get the top 5 or 10 guys.

Don't do this, the 50 innings is clearly there to force people to play SPs, if you have to play them, they might as well be good.
dhibbit@gmail.com
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kesaber » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:50 pm

The reason I'm drafting closers early is to make sure I get the best closers that have low ERAs and low WHIPs. I'll definitely get the innings in because I'll be picking up 1-3 SPs everyday until I'm safe on the 50 innings. I realize picking up SPs blindly will put me at risk of Losing Ls, but if I pick them up based on match up and there is actually strategy involved I should still win it. Especially since I'll have 3 SP's at a given time while the rest of the league will have about 6. It will also allow me to focus on hitting since my top 5 guys will be hitters. Also, anyone that thinks this is a bad idea, it would be helpful to know what you thought would be a better strategy. i.e. When should I draft SP, Closers, OFs, etc. This will be my first draft so all input is helpful. Thanks
10 team H2H.

Offense:

Pitching:

W, L, CG, SV, BB, K, GIDP, HLD, ERA, WHIP - with a minimum of 50 innings played

C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, IF, LF, CF, RF, OF, Util, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, RP, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN
kesaber
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby rukus9 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:12 pm

Closers are notoriously volatile from year to year. I'm not putting all my eggs in that basket. Also each time you take a closer you better believe 2 or 3 will come off the board before you pick again (depending on draft position of course). So stocking up on them won't be as easy as you think. Also depending on how many you start you'll probably want to get at least one OF early.
League Setup:
13 Team Points League
6 Hitters 3 Pitchers (Positions don't matter)
1B = 1, 2B = 2, 3B = 3, HR = 4, RBI = 1
Win = 12, Save = 5
rukus9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Swipe79 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:34 pm

FWIW - I don't like that plan much either. Draft a few (3?) reliable starters and lock up 20-25 innings each week with a chance at a good performance. Add in your closers, and you should be getting around 30 innings per week of hopefully consistent quality. Then look for value later on - boring guys who do their job (Ted Lilly, etc.) to fill in your innings. This way you are competing in all 10 categories for the week. Who knows who you might be slotting in during the week if you try juggling match-ups.

I do like the idea of drafting hitters first - for all the reasons you hear repeated every year it seems. But if you see a gem available in round 3-4-5, why not grab it.
Swipe79
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mkultra » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:03 pm

Some additional problems, IMO, with your strategy:

- One blow-up from a closer could ruin your week
- You're pretty much guaranteed to start a run on closers, which will throw a wrench in your draft strategy. At the very least, the ones with great peripherals will start disappearing from under you.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions