Cain, Gallardo or Liriano in New Keeper League? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Cain, Gallardo or Liriano in New Keeper League?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Cain, Gallardo or Liriano in New Keeper League?

Postby dave knight » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:19 pm

In a points league, I like Gallardo. Cain is only better in 5x5.
dave knight
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ChicksDigTheLongBall » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:52 pm

At .5/K, I'd go with Cain based on the IP and QS. You know what you're doing. Good luck.
ChicksDigTheLongBall
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 10)

Postby Skimo77 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:57 pm

callacim wrote:guys...CBS HEAD TO HEAD POINTS league i said!!...strikeouts are almsot worthless....(.5) per k......innings and quality starts rule the league....you have to look at the league type and scoring before u shout out that things are absurd....cain consistently goes 7 innings with a quality start almost everytime out

Wait who's post is this now? I was talking about the original posters comments... but sure callacim, you seem to know what you want so go for Cain then.
Skimo77
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 31)

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:01 pm

callacim wrote:guys...CBS HEAD TO HEAD POINTS league i said!!...strikeouts are almsot worthless....(.5) per k......innings and quality starts rule the league....you have to look at the league type and scoring before u shout out that things are absurd....cain consistently goes 7 innings with a quality start almost everytime out

Absurd?
High K/9 guys rely less on luck.
Cain had a .252 babip last year. Liriano .331, Gallardo .324.
Pitchers normally are in the .290-.305 range. It means Cain was pretty lucky with his era last year, while Gallardo and Liriano had bad luck. Now what i'm saying is take luck out of it, and project based on all things being equal luck wise.
If babip is normal for the 3, i expect Cain to have the higher era. With that comes fewer QS.
Now Cain is the workhorse of the 3, but elbow inflammation this spring, and a lot of extra innings from post season may or may not play into Cains innings this year.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:08 pm

I'd go with Gallardo for sure. I think Liriano has the best potential for this year when he's shown that he can keep the walks to a tolerable minimum, but he's only as good as when healthy. It all depends on if and how well he throws his slider. As far as Cain goes, the fact he's been "lucky" for three years doesn't validate that he couldn't possibly regress this year or beyond that.

Gallardo has the best reward and the least questions of the three.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Skimo77 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:13 pm

I agree, Cain is very good/very lucky and we're seeing him at the ceiling right now. He won't be any better than he was last year except for possibly more Wins. Gallardo is the guy to go with.
Skimo77
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 31)

Postby callacim » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:18 pm

what if it was just for this upcoming season, still no love for CAIN over Liriano...was just wondering if that made a large diffference
michael callaci
callacim
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions