Hanley or Halliday/Licecum?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Hanley or Halliday/Licecum??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hanley or Halliday/Licecum??

Postby dracovonborax » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:07 am

I can keep Hanley for $60 and lock up a very weak position as well as keep the #1 guy on the board,arguably, or i can go with 2 ace pitchers at $39 and $30 and build from there? Normally i would go with the pitchers but Sp look pretty deep this season and my league tends to undervalue pitching. If i throw Hanley back in, i may not get him back with ss being so bleak. Is one man really worth it or do i go with 2 even though they only pitch every 5 days? thank you for any advice you may have.
dracovonborax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hanley or Halliday/Licecum??

Postby pizzaboy76 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:03 am

Tough choice, but based on prices, I would lock up 2 top 3 pitchers and then not worry about pitching for a long time when you draft.
pizzaboy76
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 39)

Postby MaudDib » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:49 am

I agree. $60 is a lot of money for one player no matter how good he is. I would take the 2 SP and look for a cheaper option at SS.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 466)

Postby SCOTTYG » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:30 am

I believe the Cardinals just went through this thought process...they made the right decision.

Hanley is a stud no doubt, but to put all your eggs in one basket when you can get 2 top notch players, I think you have to make the deal. If you keep Hanley, what type of SP can you get for $9...if you like that player, then keep Hanley b/c you are right, SS is very shallow and SP's are deeper than ever before.

Post what pitchers would be available at $9 and weigh the pro's and cons
SCOTTYG
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dracovonborax » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:58 am

only thing i left out is that our league starts with $300 instead of $260, not really sure why this is but it's what we do. Last season, Halliday went for the most at $34. It is hard to say what SP would be available for $9, i just know from the past that our league undervalues pitching. I was already leaning towards keeping Halliday and Lincecum, however, am a little worried about the extended innings on Tim with the WS. i remember having Hamels a couple years ago when they played in the WS and he was bad the year after.
dracovonborax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 4)

Postby cfrat24 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:10 pm

THE 2 SPS!
cfrat24
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 32)

Postby SCOTTYG » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:28 am

dracovonborax wrote: am a little worried about the extended innings on Tim with the WS. i remember having Hamels a couple years ago when they played in the WS and he was bad the year after.

Hamels had extremely high expectations the following year and couldn't live up to that. Lincecum has already reached and surpassed those. Hamels was the only decent SP on that staff the following year until trading/FA's etc. He bombed b/c he was their only legit SP at that time. Look how he has done since Lee was on his team, and then even better when Halladay joined him. He was very inexperienced and not ready to claim the #1. Now, he has no pressure and someone with more experience to harness the emotions.

Lincecum has risen above all that, he's been the clear cut #1 on that team for a couple years now. If you are worried about Lincecum throwing extra IP's, were you worried last year when Halladay threw extra innings b/c of the post season...just saying.
SCOTTYG
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Jupiter4 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:41 am

Halladay and Lincecum can throw 300 innings a year. At the prices you show I'd take the pitchers. Grab a guy like Andrus at SS.
Jupiter4
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby cs3 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:02 am

timmy only threw 212 innings during the regular and he had thrown 225 and 227 the prior 2 seasons. he did pitch 37 in the playoffs for a total of 249, but thats only 25 more than '09 so i wouldnt be too worried.
and its also still fewer innings than Halladay threw in the regular season alone!
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions