Trade Review WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Trade Review WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade Review WHIR

Postby DigitalFool » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:29 pm

In an 18-team 8x8 league - ended up drafting SP heavy since I couldn't pass up the value at the given position. Need to beef up my offense otherwise I'll need to lean on my pitching all season.

The trade is my Votto/Holliday/Broxton/Gallardo for his Dunn/Tulo/Reynolds/Stubbs. Fair deal?

I have 3 (current) closers - with 18 teams, some teams are punting the saves cat, but good trade bait and Broxton may be at risk of losing his role. I also have (arguably) the best SP rotation so I can afford to move one or two.

My roster:

C - Ruiz
1B - Votto
2B - S. Rodriguez
3B - Cuddyer
SS - Bentancourt
OF - Holliday
OF - Markakis
OF - Colvin
Util - Quentin
Util - E. Young
Bench - Inge

SP - Lester/JJ/Latos/Gallardo/Nolasco/De La Rosa/Shields/Johan Santana
RP - Broxton/Cordero/Valverde/Dotel/Chapman/Hensley
DigitalFool
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade Review WHIR

Postby MaudDib » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:00 am

I don't love the deal. I think you are giving up 3 of the 4 best players which isn't a good strategy. Plus it is arguable who is giving up the best player in Tulo or Votto. I would probably look elsewhere for a deal or try to get more back in this deal.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 381)

Postby SCOTTYG » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:10 am

You want to beef up your offense, then why are you trading Votto & Holliday? Doesn't make any sense to me. You have the right idea about Broxton, not a huge fan of Gallardo either, but I would try and swing them both.
SCOTTYG
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DigitalFool » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:41 am

Appreciate the thoughts - I don't want to give up Votto/Holliday, but probably the only way I could parlay into getting a few more bats.

The thing is, when 15 or so teams have so-so pitching, gaining better SP isn't enough to pry away bats. I think I may have to wait until the season starts to gain some interest once they realize their pitching needs to improve.

I think I'll decline this trade and keep looking.
DigitalFool
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby SCOTTYG » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:53 am

If you have the best pitching staff, then you already won 1/2 of the cats each week correct. If you win 1/2 of the pitching cats, all you have to do is steal one away on the offense side and you win every week correct? That usually equals a championship to me. I think your offense will be able to pull a few cats, maybe something to focus on with the FA list would be speed, if you can steal that cat each week coupled with your pitching, should have a pretty good fantasy year.
SCOTTYG
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DigitalFool » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:53 am

SCOTTYG wrote:If you have the best pitching staff, then you already won 1/2 of the cats each week correct. If you win 1/2 of the pitching cats, all you have to do is steal one away on the offense side and you win every week correct? That usually equals a championship to me. I think your offense will be able to pull a few cats, maybe something to focus on with the FA list would be speed, if you can steal that cat each week coupled with your pitching, should have a pretty good fantasy year.

In theory, sure. But even with a great pitching staff and/or relief, you'll probably never sweep all the cats. But yes, that was kind of my idea until I realized how poor my bats were.
DigitalFool
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby SCOTTYG » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:33 am

I know it sounds weird, but try Gallardo and Votto for Dunn & Tulo...does Dunn have 1b eligibility? That would really bolster your roster b/c Tulo's stats will be very similar to Votto's and Dunn's power will help.
SCOTTYG
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DigitalFool » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:13 pm

SCOTTYG wrote:I know it sounds weird, but try Gallardo and Votto for Dunn & Tulo...does Dunn have 1b eligibility? That would really bolster your roster b/c Tulo's stats will be very similar to Votto's and Dunn's power will help.

I tossed it out there - but this league is pretty stingy when it comes to trades. I'm sure he'll come back and say he wouldn't trade his first (Tulo) and third (Dunn) rounder for my first (Votto) and sixth (YoGo) rounder since we're only days removed from the draft. All things considered, it's fair considering roster needs.

He's rolling with Jeter as a util and his ONLY SP are Liriano, Haren and David Hernandez.
DigitalFool
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby DigitalFool » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:23 pm

He countered with Ike Davis for Nolasco.
DigitalFool
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions