Competitive 5x5 Roto League, WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Competitive 5x5 Roto League, WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Competitive 5x5 Roto League, WHIR

Postby Relddem » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:29 pm

Here's the roster:

C - Carlos Santana
1B - Joey Votto
2B - Neil Walker (3B)
3B - Ryan Zimmerman
SS - Starlin Castro
OF - Matt Kemp, Andrew McCutchen, Jason Heyward
Util - Pedro Alvarez (3B), Jason Bay (OF)
BN - Ryan Raburn (2B, OF), Tsuyoshi Nishioka (2B,SS), Dexter Fowler (OF)

SP - Francisco Liriano, Dan Haren
RP - John Axford, Frank Francisco
P - Max Scherzer, Jeremy Hellickson, Brandon League, Chris Sale
BN - Colby Lewis, Jhoulys Chacin

The one quirk I noticed about this draft was RP went late but went fast. I missed Joe Nathan and Joel Hanrahan by a few picks in a middle and later round. I think I the late chances I took could work out. Apparently Sale has more of a chance to win the closers job than I'd initially thought, and League should have the M's job for at least a month or so, but which point I can probably find someone on the wire if need be.

Bay and Alvarez were both guys who fell a bit, so I was fine taking them as my initial Util guys. I'm thinking that Alvarez is most useful as trade bait if he hits this year. Someone is going to need 3B help. Jhoulys Chacin someonehow fell to the last round where I was glad to take him as my sixth SP.
Relddem
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Competitive 5x5 Roto League, WHIR

Postby DrGreenthumb11 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:40 pm

Like the team, seems like u also believe in taking 1st baseman and 3rd baseman early. Plenty of closers will be available on f.a, even if sale doesnt close he has value as m.r. good luck on your season.
DrGreenthumb11
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Relddem » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:42 pm

Thanks! Yeah I do believe in taking first and third baseman early, at least this year. I've found in mocks and real drafts my ideal first three rounds are some combo of 1B/SS/3B followed by three OF and two SP in the next five, and I have no intent of taking a 2B early unless maybe Kinsler falls a bit. I was actually going to reach for Jose Reyes with the 15th pick but the guy before me took him, and I don't love A-Rod this year so I went Kemp and fortunately had the choice between Zimmerman and Youk with my third rounder. I think its especially important with first base, there's a decent dropoff after the first three (Pujols, Cabrera, Votto) and then a huge dropoff after the next three (Tex, Fielder, Howard). I'm not interested in spending a 5th round pick on a health risk like Morales or Morneau. Third baseman are a bit more evenly spread out through the first half of a 12-team draft, but there's a huge dropoff towards the 10th round after Alvarez/McGehee/Sandoval go off the board. I generally like to take a Top 5 third baseman that's not A-Rod, but if I miss I'd rather wait for Alvarez or Sandoval than take Bautista, Beltre, Young, or A-Ram. I don't see a huge difference between those groups. Alvarez is basically Bautista with a touch more risk in that he's not quite as likely to hit 30 HR, but he's got a shot and its not a 7-round difference. I really don't see any difference between Panda and the other three and think Sandoval might in fact have a better year than any of them. I don't really see McGehee as all that different either, but he's just so unexciting. He'll probably justify his draft position, but he won't blow it out of the water.

I'm sure closers will be available, but I expect this league to be particularly on-the-ball about snagging them so I'll need to pay attention. I agree on Sale, I plan on holding onto him, though Edinson Volquez and James Shields are on the wire and will be tempting. I'm sure I can find a nice SP though when/if League loses the closer job, and I don't really need one. I doubt I'll have a hard time hitting the innings cap and the staff is solid as is. I actually think the league overreached on closers and missed some viable SP (still can't believe I got Chacin in the 23rd round) though. I do also think I should wind up with at least one guy who will offer me the most profit in trade between Alvarez, Bay, and Fowler. They likely won't all hit, but all three have a pretty good chance of paying off well above where I drafted them and none are really necessary to my roster. Even the Raburn/Walker/Nishioka combo could be included in that discussion if two of them hit, but I could see Walker sophmore slumping and Raburn really breaking out or Walker being quietly dependable and Raburn hitting his typical early season slump and not having a ton of trade value. I'm bearish on Nishioka but he's the only late upside I see with SS eligibility, not that I'm too worried about Castro, I think he's decently safe and has a touch of upside. Ian Desmond actually really hung around the board for a long time, but I think Castro offers slightly more balance for a position like SS and I didn't want another batting average drain, so I jumped on Starlin when they were the two last viable SS on the board with the intent of taking Nishioka for his potential upside at the end.
Relddem
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby DrGreenthumb11 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:02 pm

I currently own 6 10team espn roto teams and have drafted 1b/3rd in first two rds followed by of/of then sp in 5th rd. Second and ss i wait till late, taking chance on hill/zobrist/beckham amd desmond/al.ramirez. closers and catchers i wait till mid teen rds. I believe arod has 30-100-90-287 left in him, but prefer wright or zimmerman. Like alvarez and bounce back from ar.ramirez
DrGreenthumb11
T-Ball Trainer

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team