LEAGUE RULES advice needed. All opinions welcome! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

LEAGUE RULES advice needed. All opinions welcome!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

LEAGUE RULES advice needed. All opinions welcome!

Postby mjoyce103 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:28 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm in a 12-team auction keeper league that is in its second year. Our keeper structure is set up with unlimited keepers that go up by $1 for every additional, based on last year's auction price. Initially, we set up the rule that any player claimed as a free agent or from waivers (we run with a waiver budget, as well) can be kept with a base price of $1. However, we recently realized that injuries can cause a problem with this and be a real reward for a team who is out of it early.

For example, Wainrwright being hurt for the entire year means he will definitely NOT be kept or picked up at auction. By our rules, then, the team who ends the year with him on their roster will be able to keep him the next year for a $1 base. Obviously, that's a ridiculous discount and is basically a reward for someone having a terrible team. That's something we'd like to avoid. The same thing applies to the super-prospects, such as Bryce Harper, where a team might be willing to waste a spot on his roster if they are clearly out of the money early in the summer.

Does anyone in a keeper league have a solution to this problem? Any comments or suggestion are welcome!

Thanks for your help!
mjoyce103
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: LEAGUE RULES advice needed. All opinions welcome!

Postby SCOTTYG » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:54 pm

The owner should be able to 'red-shirt' the player. How would you feel if one of your keepers were to be ruled out the entire season.

You can also set up a level and pro-rate when a player returns...such as Utley now, if he returns 1/2 way through the season, then they pay 1/2 of his original value or if a player has season ending surgery the 1st week of season then pay whatever % of season is complete at the time they hit the DL. 15 day or 60 day DL stints wouldn't count towards pro-ration, only season ending injuries should count or players that haven't played an inning of the season.

Have the league vote on it and majority rules...I would make the rule into affect next year though. Let me know how it works out.
SCOTTYG
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mjoyce103 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:09 pm

SCOTTYG wrote:The owner should be able to 'red-shirt' the player. How would you feel if one of your keepers were to be ruled out the entire season.

You can also set up a level and pro-rate when a player returns...such as Utley now, if he returns 1/2 way through the season, then they pay 1/2 of his original value or if a player has season ending surgery the 1st week of season then pay whatever % of season is complete at the time they hit the DL. 15 day or 60 day DL stints wouldn't count towards pro-ration, only season ending injuries should count or players that haven't played an inning of the season.

Have the league vote on it and majority rules...I would make the rule into affect next year though. Let me know how it works out.

Hi Scotty, thanks for the reply. We aren't as worried about players who will come back this season, as anyone worth any $ is probably going to be drafted (at a discount) and stashed away. Once they're drafted, that's the value they keep for next year if they are dropped and picked back up by another team. The problem is that a guy like Wainwright will NOT be drafted and will not be kept to start this year, which means, by our rules, he's a $1 player. That's absurd, of course, and while I'm fine with teams who are bad enough to be out of the race by August making moves for the future, I don't think that it should be rewarded with an enormous discount on a guy who just wasn't rosterable for teams who were still competing. My thought is to allow them to be picked up, but their base value becomes whatever yahoo (where we run the league) values them at for 2012, or just not allow them to be picked up at all. Either way, they'll most likely go to auction the next year and come back for fair market value.

We already have a rule in place regarding the price of a keeper who is dropped due to poor performance or injury and picked up by another team, and that is that they will return to the yahoo value as a base price for next year's keeper pool. We figure that's enough to keep the August scavengers at bay.
mjoyce103
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby SCOTTYG » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:17 pm

No prob, sounds like you guys have a pretty solid league base, ask them how they feel about red-shirting a player. If not, I would pick him up as soon as season started and stash him on my bench (you have DL spots right?) for the entire season. Waino is worth that IMO, especially for $1. I wouldn't tinker with your rules very much, then you run into too many exceptions and what if's.
SCOTTYG
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Goatrider » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:53 pm

Hey man,

We are in an Nl-Only auction keeper. We simply make DL players eligible for auction. If someone wants to nominate Wainwright, let him be bid on. They take a decent hit on this years budget in order to plan for the future. We expect Wainwright to go for around ten to twelve dollars even though he won't play. That is a decent hit but it will pay off for that team the following year.

Peace and help with mine would be appreciated.

viewtopic.php?t=423926
Goatrider
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 40)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions